"Tested to 100,000 shuttle actuations"

Thanks for the assurance.

By the way, what are the indications that you need to change the shuttle?

When this happens:
image006.jpg

Jokes aside, you change your shutter when it stops working.

NASA changes their shuttles now .. some served more than 20 years. But they are still unsure about the replacement.

Somehow, TS still doesn't realize that it is "shutter", not "shuttle".

The announcement for the Nikon D7000 said something like "the D7000 was tested to 150,000 shuttle actuations whereas the D90 was tested only to 100,000 shuttle actuations".

Does this means that if my D90 has a shuttle count exceeding 100,000, it is screwed? What is the failure rate of the camera after exceeding that amount? Any clue?

if the shutter unit failed before reaching 100k after 1yr , how come there's no warranty cover for it :dunno:

if the shutter unit failed before reaching 100k after 1yr , how come there's no warranty cover for it :dunno:

Because it's after 1 year. If you only have a 1 year warranty, your shutter actuations don't matter at all. The shutter actuation ratings are NOT a part of warranty.

It's not a feature or characteristic that has been assured to you. It is a normal expectant life span and serves as orientation / additional information. Ever seen any plumber giving you an guaranteed amount of flush actuations for your toilet? :bsmilie: But we now that after some years it will need a replacement.

Because it's after 1 year. If you only have a 1 year warranty, your shutter actuations don't matter at all. The shutter actuation ratings are NOT a part of warranty.

Hang on... follow up question... if I shuttle fails before the 1 year warranty, will they change it for free you think? Or will they see the shuttle count and say "sorry, you took too many shots. Cannot repair for free."

Hang on... follow up question... if I shuttle fails before the 1 year warranty, will they change it for free you think? Or will they see the shuttle count and say "sorry, you took too many shots. Cannot repair for free."
Again, CSC will not care about NASA equipment (shuttle), only about the shutter of your camera. Got it? :)
Check the warranty terms and conditions. Is there any term describing 'excessive use' of your camera? If not, then chances are they will replace your shutter if it fails within warranty period, regardless what shutter count you have. It doesn't matter much what we suspect here, there are legal terms already in place. You have agreed to these warranty terms the moment you purchased the camera.

Again, CSC will not care about NASA equipment (shuttle), only about the shutter of your camera. Got it? :)
Check the warranty terms and conditions. Is there any term describing 'excessive use' of your camera? If not, then chances are they will replace your shutter if it fails within warranty period, regardless what shutter count you have. It doesn't matter much what we suspect here, there are legal terms already in place. You have agreed to these warranty terms the moment you purchased the camera.

They'll probably waive the labor fee though.

The announcement for the Nikon D7000 said something like "the D7000 was tested to 150,000 shuttle actuations whereas the D90 was tested only to 100,000 shuttle actuations".

Does this means that if my D90 has a shuttle count exceeding 100,000, it is screwed? What is the failure rate of the camera after exceeding that amount? Any clue?

Generally how much does it cost for a shuttle change? Any idea?

Thanks for the assurance.

My dear fellow CSer, UncleFai, it's SHUTTER, not SHUTTLE.

u can learn from tung tong... ;p he told me he can change his shutter a few times per year :eek:

And he shoots in all kinds of environments... and bring it on the grueling trips.

But shutter well spent, i would say.

When this happens:
image006.jpg

Jokes aside, you change your shutter when it stops working.

Dude that is not funny.. people died in that incident. And part of my family knows one of them.

I'll appreciate if you show some respect for the departed in this tragedy.

Its just a MTTF (mean time to failure). Typically a bell shaped distribution centered around the given value (100K in the case of the D90). Failure can always happen before or after the MTTF.

Its just a MTTF (mean time to failure). Typically a bell shaped distribution centered around the given value (100K in the case of the D90). Failure can always happen before or after the MTTF.
So far clear. But I guess TS just wants to have somebody to blame and claim a free replacement :) The age-old oxymoron: reasonable customer expectations :bsmilie:

Go and figure out your shutter actuation count using an exif reader like Opanda.

Shooting only stills, not movie:

Light users maybe 3-5k per year, 20 years to reach 100k.

Moderate users maybe 5-15k per year, 7-20 years to reach 100k.

Heavy users maybe 20-100k per year, 1-5 years to reach 100k.

Average lifespan of DSLR based on new model introduction: 18 months.

If you change DSLR on alternate models (e.g. D100 skip D200, change to D300) you would be changing DSLR every 3 years. You are likelier to want to upgrade for the higher pixel count, lower noise, super duper capture, da da da da da da, before the shutter calls it a day.

Unless you are a seasoned pro who truly run through 100k per year, in which case get D3s.

I can confirm that, so many camera in B&S has lower than 20k shutter counts. lol

Bro...anything that can fail will fail one time or other. Let us be more concerned with today's sunrise rather than tomorrow's sunset if you know what I mean.

I have an old Pentax from the 70s era and still working fine. Problem is less and less shops will wash the negatives for you. :cool:

I have an old Pentax from the 70s era and still working fine. Problem is less and less shops will wash the negatives for you. :cool:
The guys in Traditional Darkroom have their own mixtures, maybe you want to give it a try? One coffee for you and one coffee for the roll :)

Well, NASA is retiring the space shuttle, so don't worry. You'll never be able to shoot 100,000 shuttles. ;)

I can confirm NASA is retiring the space shuttle. ;)

Also agree 100k vs 150k makes no difference as very few people get near 20k, let alone 100k photos.

I remember when the Sony DSC-30 first came out- I used it a LOT, and only raked up about 11,000 to 12,000 shots.

hehehe happened to me with my old 350D......was in hkg, going disneyland with my kids next day and shutter screwed at stanley.....the good news was i am in hkg and i stayed at mongkok. no reason my wife could stop me from getting a new body :p still i am not bothered by it really. pay so much enjoy lah, worry so much then end up shoot less than no point right?