Test shot with 85MM 1.8@Clarke Quay

Status
Not open for further replies.

marctheworld

Nov 9, 2007
Singapore
Just got one canon 85MM 1.8 and did a test shot in Clarke Quay. This is the Turkish ice cream store between the section C and D (I think). I saw there was a big tour group which includes some monks and nuns. They were queuing for the ice-cream. I found it was unusual and took the shot. The monk in the photo was facing the ice cream man.

The setting is canon 400D, ISO1600, 85mm, Aperture 1.8, Speed 1/500. I would like to know how is the color, composition and sharpness.

thanks

2867093033_74357facb2.jpg

Colour - I find it OK, esp in tungsten light which can be very very tricky; even using WB set to tungsten; [or issit just me] Just that his head is too glaring; which cannot be helped since he was in direct light focus.

Composition - It works for me, although there are distractions left + right; you have used it effectively as a vertical frame, and the messy top props which are already there was actually unnoticeable cos the sharpness of the subject in the middle. ALternatively, a square crop might work.

Sharpness - Perfect ten? I simply like it lah. :) Good job done there!

Last edited:
i think the highlights are overblown here... And the framing of the 2 pillars could be better as well.

Colour - I find it OK, esp in tungsten light which can be very very tricky; even using WB set to tungsten; [or issit just me]

If you set to tungsten WB and your image's white balance is still slightly off, it may mean that the yellow light you are shooting under is, as matter of fact, not actually tungsten light but fluorescent light made to look yellow.

The issue with fluorescents is there are so many variations on the market, that you will never know the colour temperature and CRI of these lights for sure.

For info on fluorescent lighting and how it ties in with our white balance, see this page.

If you set to tungsten WB and your image's white balance is still slightly off, it may mean that the yellow light you are shooting under is, as matter of fact, not actually tungsten light but fluorescent light made to look yellow.

The issue with fluorescents is there are so many variations on the market, that you will never know the colour temperature and CRI of these lights for sure.

For info on fluorescent lighting and how it ties in with our white balance, see this page.
Appreciate your pointers and link :thumbsup:

color - alright for me

composition - not so good. the moment is not a bad one, but the slanted frame within a frame here does not add much to the picture. would it be better without this frame within a frame? or are you pushing it by simply including the technique for the sake of having it there?

sharpness - can't really tell at this size, but is good enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.