Test pics using a LS2 PJ with Inverted Dome

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
while my baby is wailing away, and my wife trying to put him to sleep... :confused:

just got hold of the Inverted Dome from CP 2 days ago, and decided to take some test pics.

cavaet:

a) i ain't no Phil Askey - ie, this is not a technical test. so, dun flame/criticise if my 'test' pics dun match up to your technical expectations. they are just test pics, for my own curiosity and hopefully, a help to those buying or thinking of buying.

b) no, i dun have a live, human subject at hand to flash at (as some of u criticised me, the last time i posted test pics on the PJ). the human subjects are home now are kinda tied up (see above...)

c) the pics are done with my D50, in Manual mode with a AF-s 24-85/3.5-4.5 and SB800, in my spare HDB room. cam is mounted on a tripod. all pics posted here are done in Large Fine JPG. no PS, except to resize ONLY.

d) and pls dun ask me the measurements of my room, my roof, the colour temp of my flourescent light, the distance of cam to object etc.. etc... i din bother, and see point (a).

on with the show... :bsmilie:

this is the Inverted Dome... looks a hell lot like my old 'family jewels' protector during my time learning TKD... :sweat:

dome.jpg

...cont'

...cont'

Direct Flash at subject, no modification added

Direct.jpg

Flash 90-degrees to ceiling, no modification added

Flash90.jpg

Flash with Bounce Card, pointing at ceiling

BounceCard.jpg

Flash with SB800 Stofen Ominbounce, pointing at ceiling

Omni90.jpg

... cont'

...cont'

Flash with SB800 Stofen Omnibounce, at 45-degrees

Omni45.jpg

Flash with LS2 PJ, no dome, pointing at ceiling

LS2noDome.jpg

Flash with LS2 PJ, with dome, pointing at ceiling

withDome.jpg

IMO - the effects of the dome is quite subtle, and the light falling on subject is a little softer
compared to no dome. i suspect, on human flesh, the effects are more pronounced.

cheers! :)

Since you're using a tripod... you could be the subject ya'know... :sticktong

Not too sure about this, but i think with the dome, you could do a direct flash on the subject, did you try it?

Raptor1 said:
Not too sure about this, but i think with the dome, you could do a direct flash on the subject, did you try it?
I was waiting for that too...:bsmilie:
Sam do another test with the dome and direct flash leh

Thanks for the little test nightwolf.... :thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
nice model! hahaha

i guess i will jus keep my inverted dome on all the time from now on. :)

but i'll gif it a go some other times too and see for myself. :)

good job wolf!
Wah... can I be there when you use your IDs? :embrass: I want to learn how to use :embrass:

eh... never occur to me people want to see a LS2 point straight at a subject... thot the normal way of using it is to point it upwards at a ceiling... :embrass:

anyway, i just reshoot my 'subject' (keke... cheesecake, this is a favourite display object of mine; courtesy of a family fren who gave it to me after i graduated!). okie... bear in mind now its morning. so the lighting conditions in my room is very different from last nite. still, i'm using the same cam, same flash, same lens and same in-cam settings to shoot this (or... at least i tried... :p ). no PS done except to resize.

Flash with LS2 PJ + dome, straight on at subject.

DomeStraightOn.jpg

Flash with LS2, no dome, straight on at subject

LS2StraightOn.jpg

shooting straight on without the dome looks similar to shooting the flash straight on without any light modifications. shooting with the dome on looks almost the same, except the shadows are a little less harsh, IMO...

hope it helps? :embrass:

As nightwolf75 has clarified, the test is just a small guage. Gary initally designed the LS for wedding. Hence it is meant for half, full body to group photo human shoot. The pros and cons will be more apparent on human subjects. For human subjects, the flash power required in some instances will be more demanding. Hence you will be able to see how the LS perform. LS will perform similarly with a Omnibounce if used on close-up or marco photography, like the cat eg you see in the other thread. :)

I'm interested to see how the dome performs outdoors. The LS2 PJ by itself seems very useless when used outdoors. I've been wondering if the dome helps that out (since there's no walls/ceilings to bounce light off).

Denosha said:
I'm interested to see how the dome performs outdoors. The LS2 PJ by itself seems very useless when used outdoors. I've been wondering if the dome helps that out (since there's no walls/ceilings to bounce light off).

erm... i'm just guessing here...

mebbe dats the reason why Gary Fong added the ID onto the PJ? :think:

i believe someone mentioned dat, in the Lightsphere forum, overseas users were complaining dat the PJ is not dat suited for outdoor work, unlike the full-blown LS2 (the hard plastic version). come to think of it, i do believe (from the fine print) GF did mention abt the heavy light loss in outdoor environment. its a design trade-off - people want something more pilable and smaller to store in their bags, compared to the LS2. hence, the use of vinyl plastic for the PJ and no dome... hehe... now we are back to square one... :bsmilie:

Seriously... it's like a bra cup :bsmilie:

any pics to show how u mount this 'dome' thing onto the flash?
and whats this 'LS2 PJ' thingy?

i only use normal SB-800..thats why i dun know whats the above.
pls assist.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.