Test of 20 UV filters - Lenstip.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool article, and thanks for linking to it.

Usually you will hear people mentioning B+W are good UV filters and easy to clean. Results show that they are indeed pretty good, but the easy to clean part is not factored into the test.

Cool article, and thanks for linking to it.

Usually you will hear people mentioning B+W are good UV filters and easy to clean. Results show that they are indeed pretty good, but the easy to clean part is not factored into the test.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It was a characteristic of the lens, but not one that contributed to the points. They are ranked solely by light transmission.

ARRG!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder my pic sucks!!!!

i ve HOYA UV-G over my lens!!!!

Last edited:
I like the expression "were no better than good quality window glass". LOL

This is going to send millions of B&W lovers into denial and outrage! :bsmilie:

The tests were conducted on the basis of light transmossion AND UV absorption.

Even if B+W had topped the charts, I'd still stick to Hoya S-HMC for all my current and future lenses...

1) Not that I could tell the difference in real life or even controlled environment for that matter... WTH shoots to light or sun that often?
2) Too expensive... similar case of 50mm 1.4 vs 1.2 IMO...LOL.
3) Am already using one of the best filters available, never been apprehensive bout its performance
4) Never had problem since day 1

I think that hoya filters are really good even though I only use b+w filters on my lenses.while it is true that hoya iq may be equal or slightly better than b+w, the fact that b+w filters have much better build quality(hoya filters only have springs to hold the glass) and that b+w is much easier to clean is worth the price difference for me.not to mention that b+w filters have excellent anti flare coatings.il definitely still be buying b+w filters from the MOs for a long time

Hi, good work. Hoya with uv=0 rank higer than those with uv not zero. So, buy those with uv=0 more expensive.

I am using Hoya and Tokina :) But hor... how come no tokina in the test?

The quality of filters are very important especially for your expensive lenses. I once used my friend's 70-200 f/4L and I wondered why it produced shots worse than my cheapo EF 55-200 zoom. I kept on trying and trying but the images were very prone to having flare. Shooting sports at that time. I finally realised that he was using a cheapo filter. Once this filter was removed the f/4L worked like the real f/4L. I havent used any filter less than a Hoya HMC.

If UV is not considered, result of B+W 72mm 010 UV-Haze MRC will be better than Hoya 72 mm HMC UV-0 since UV does not have any effect on DSLR camera. Therefore, B+W 72mm 010 UV-Haze MRC filter is still considered better choice. Futhermore, B+W MRC version is also easy to clean.

============================================
For B+W 72mm 010 UV-Haze MRC;
Result : 33/40 or 28/30 if UV is not considered.
a) Visible light (390 - 750 nm): 98.2% 9/10
b) Ultraviolet (200 - 390 nm): 9.0% 5/10
c) Flares1 5/5
d) Flares2 4/5
e) Flares3 5/5
f) Vignetting 5/5

But for Hoya 72 mm HMC UV-0;
Result : 36/40 or 26/30 if UV is not considered.
a) Visible light (390 - 750 nm): 97.1% 8/10
b) Ultraviolet (200 - 390 nm): 0.2% 10/10
c) Flares1 4/5
d) Flares2 4/5
e) Flares3 5/5
f) Vignetting 5/5

Last edited:
I'm happy with my Hoyas!

good find on that link

i wonder how nikon NC performs compared to B+W...

maybe i can do the same thing in the lab spectrophotometer, when i'm more free...

:bsmilie:

Let me summarize what you just said:
If we ignore the sole most important feature for the filters, B+W is actually considered better.

So if that's the case... why filter? :bsmilie:

If UV is not considered, result of B+W 72mm 010 UV-Haze MRC will be better than Hoya 72 mm HMC UV-0 since UV does not have any effect on DSLR camera. Therefore, B+W 72mm 010 UV-Haze MRC filter is still considered better choice. Futhermore, B+W MRC version is also easy to clean.

============================================
For B+W 72mm 010 UV-Haze MRC;
Result : 33/40 or 28/30 if UV is not considered.
a) Visible light (390 - 750 nm): 98.2% 9/10
b) Ultraviolet (200 - 390 nm): 9.0% 5/10
c) Flares1 5/5
d) Flares2 4/5
e) Flares3 5/5
f) Vignetting 5/5

But for Hoya 72 mm HMC UV-0;
Result : 36/40 or 26/30 if UV is not considered.
a) Visible light (390 - 750 nm): 97.1% 8/10
b) Ultraviolet (200 - 390 nm): 0.2% 10/10
c) Flares1 4/5
d) Flares2 4/5
e) Flares3 5/5
f) Vignetting 5/5

Let me summarize what you just said:
If we ignore the sole most important feature for the filters, B+W is actually considered better.

So if that's the case... why filter? :bsmilie:

Filter is act as means of protection for the lens.
So Visible light, Flares, Vignetting is importance and provides more easier to clean.
Better still if they are resistive to scratch.
What UV can do in DSLR? <Totally no effect.> That why comes clear protection type.

Status
Not open for further replies.