Terms that i do not understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel81

Oct 20, 2008
These terms appear quite frequently in this forum. Did'nt understand them as i am quite a newbie myself

1.)Depth of Preview
2.)Rule of Third

Can any kind souls please explain to me in details they mean ? Thanks !!! :D

These terms appear quite frequently in this forum. Did'nt understand them as i am quite a newbie myself

1.)Depth of Preview
2.)Rule of Third

Can any kind souls please explain to me in details they mean ? Thanks !!! :D

I think the first one should be Depth of Field... refers to how much of the picture will be in focus...
Rule of thirds.... Divide the frame into a 3 by 3 grid.... the subject should be placed on the intersections of these lines... i think

Last edited:
Did you read the newbie's guide sticky, or try a google search, or search this forum?

From the ClubSnap terms of use:

New Posters (newbies) - Use the Search Engine to find out if whatever information you are seeking has been posted before posting a question.

And it's Depth of Field, not view.

1) Do you refer to Depth of Field or Depth of Field Review?
Depth of Field (DoF) is a range of distance within which the object appear sharp in the photograph. Detail can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field
Depth of Field Review is a function of some camera that allow you to see the Depth of Field before taking the picture.

2) Rule of Third is a guide to help compose the picture. Detail can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Ok guys ... thanks for the links. Will read about it and ask more if i don't understand anything. :)

google, YOUR BEST FRIEND

the correct names are:

1) depth of field
2) rule of thirds

have fun searching and learning!

Ok guys ... thanks for the links. Will read about it and ask more if i don't understand anything. :)

before you ask, do a search
-at clubsnap and also google.

if still dont understand, go and buy or borrow from the libary) a book to read.

if still dont understand, ask here.

depth of field preview(DOF preview) is more useful with film than digital. cos with a film camera, one cannot check right away whether his shot was in focus properly. so he has to check it by pressing that DOF button to freeze the aperture and check before taking a shot.
with a DSLR why doing it since we are provided a nice & clear LCD..
just forget that DOF thing and take a shot..then check it whether it is properly focused..if not..take another shot..very easy;)

rule of third means..better not to shoot your main subject always in the center of the frame..and keep it around either sides and up and down about 1/3 of the frame..it's difficult to explain than shooting:sweat:
cheers

depth of field preview(DOF preview) is more useful with film than digital. cos with a film camera, one cannot check right away whether his shot was in focus properly. so he has to check it by pressing that DOF button to freeze the aperture and check before taking a shot.
just forget that DOF thing and take a shot..then check it whether it is properly focused..if not..take another shot..very easy;)

What nonsense are you talking about?

DOF preview has the same basic function on all SLR cameras - it stops down the aperture so you can see the actual DOF thru your viewfinder.

You are talking about the practical applications of it, which leads me to saying that the LCD screen is certainly no gauge for whether a shot is in focus or not.

You remind me of the days where I need to do my settings on my lenses instead of the body ;). Frankly, I don't use the DOF button at all, probably I'm used to all the different apertures without even thinking about it :bsmilie:

What nonsense are you talking about?

DOF preview has the same basic function on all SLR cameras - it stops down the aperture so you can see the actual DOF thru your viewfinder.

You are talking about the practical applications of it, which leads me to saying that the LCD screen is certainly no gauge for whether a shot is in focus or not.

pls correct me if i'm wrong:
in the field, i check the shot i take by magnifying it on playback..usually do almost after every shot if i had time..or else i take 2-3 burst and select the sharpest/best shot..final selection is of course on the PC monitor
isn't it easier to check it(focus/DOF) on LCD than looking through the tiny viewfinder?
personally i don't use DOF button (except sometimes when i need several burst of flashes from my 430EX). that's why i shared my practical use of this DOFP button.
i don't think i talked nonesense:confused:
regards,

guys, there is just a miscommunication here; with regards to different approaches in photography.

aungzawwin - basically what calebk means is that, what if you miss the moment? it doesn't matter if you are using film or dslr, no one really uses dof preview these days. much of the time, there is not much leisure to slowly stop down and use your viewfinder OR lcd to check if focus is lock on.. unless you're shooting landscapes. in that case it depends.

in any case, the only application i use the dof button for these days is to check if my gnd filter is aligned correctly, since stopping down darkens what i see in the viewfinder. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.