Tenancy agreement : meaning ..? help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Dong Moon

May 3, 2004
Great World City, Singapore
Hi ..
Anyone can advise how to interprete this clause for contract in my tenancy agreement?

" The landlord agrees with the tenant that the landlord shall on the written request of tenant made not less than 2 months before the expiration of the term and if there shall not at the time of such request be any existing breach or non observance of any of the conditions of this agreement, grant to the Tenant an extension not exceeding 1 year from the expiration of the Term upon the same terms and conditions as contained herein subject only to the right of the landlord to review the rent payable to a scale equivalent to the then market value. "

Since our flat's contract will expire end September 2008, so I don't know we need to contact the landlord 2 months in advance to discuss about it or not. Or the Landlord's duty to contact the tenant for asking anything regarding the rental including termination, renew contract, new price, etc.
Thanks a lot ......

Hi ..
Anyone can advise how to interprete this clause for contract in my tenancy agreement?

" The landlord agrees with the tenant that the landlord shall on the written request of tenant made not less than 2 months before the expiration of the term and if there shall not at the time of such request be any existing breach or non observance of any of the conditions of this agreement, grant to the Tenant an extension not exceeding 1 year from the expiration of the Term upon the same terms and conditions as contained herein subject only to the right of the landlord to review the rent payable to a scale equivalent to the then market value. "

Since our flat's contract will expire end September 2008, so I don't know we need to contact the landlord 2 months in advance to discuss about it or not. Or the Landlord's duty to contact the tenant for asking anything regarding the rental including termination, renew contract, new price, etc.
Thanks a lot ......

According to the clause it is the tenant's duty to give a written statement stating the tenant's desire to extent or end the agreement 2 months before the agreement ends! (Its lawyer lingo to be more precise u know who to find! or any bro here with such knowledge can help!):)

In practise, the is no hard and fast rule on who should inform who best is the tenant takes intiative.

It is only courtesy for the party involved be it landlord or tenant who wish to end the agreement should take the first step n well before the date of end of agreement ample time to be given ideally 2 mths before if not not less then a month.

Not really a written statement is needed depending on the landlord if they need one then produce one if not mostly a verbal one is enough if both landlord n tenant are in good terms. If both are not in good terms best is black n white and 2 months before due date!

Discliamer: Abovesaid is of my personal opinon does not represent anyone, agreement ofsaid or any other agreement!:bsmilie:

if you like where u are staying, no harm calling her / him to ask him if she would like to renew it or not.

But i think there would be a "rental" increase... :dunno:

Actually we like to stay in our current place .... but one thing lor, scared of landlord increase price until we cannot afford. If landlord don't inform us two month in advance, then we can have an excuse when landlord want to increase price. Because current price already so expensive.

Actually we like to stay in our current place .... but one thing lor, scared of landlord increase price until we cannot afford. If landlord don't inform us two month in advance, then we can have an excuse when landlord want to increase price. Because current price already so expensive.

If u like to stay then best is to inform landlord. As i said no hard n fast rule as who is to inform the other party and sad to tell u that landlord will not 'buy' your excuse lor... for price increment! Let me know if u got prob with your landlord regarding price that is. u will know where to look for me.;)

if you really like the place you are staying, please give the landlord a call to discuss about renewal. there is a very high chance that he will increase the rental.

actually normal practice is 10-20% increment... shd state in the TA... in your case, it doesnt state... so high increment will be possible... but seriously if u are a good tenant, I believe your landlord will want you to stay... gd luck. u better discuss with ur landlord before too late...

In your case, it can be simplified as follows:

1. If you want to extend, you need to tell the landlord in writing, at least 2 months before the expiry date.

2. If you did something wrong which goes against the agreement, then the option to extend is no longer offered.

3. Otherwise, you will get, as a matter of course (ie the landlord has no discretion to say no) an extension of up to 1 year (that he has the discretion to decide).

4. Landlord has the right to revise the rental rate if he wants.

Hi ..

Thanks a lot ......

Oh ... thanks a lot for some reply.
The landlord has informed me about the tenancy ..... and oh my God, got the new offer almost 100% increase. My God ! which I definitely cannot afford.
Despite these years we have take good care everything of the landlord properties and also we are very "chin chai" one, the landlord just said ... "Based on Market Price".
I feel so disappointed and the landlord totally don't offer any help.
No choice then I must think of other new place within in these 2 months.

Oh ... thanks a lot for some reply.
The landlord has informed me about the tenancy ..... and oh my God, got the new offer almost 100% increase. My God ! which I definitely cannot afford.
Despite these years we have take good care everything of the landlord properties and also we are very "chin chai" one, the landlord just said ... "Based on Market Price".
I feel so disappointed and the landlord totally don't offer any help.
No choice then I must think of other new place within in these 2 months.

100% is way too much!:nono: Good luck to your landlord.

Bro u wun get a new pl by thinking!:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.