Temple rituals

allenleonhart

Sep 17, 2008
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-the moment
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- documentary style photography of a moment.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- taoism has been on a decline in terms of number of members as a religion. possibly, in the near future, this religion may just fade away. i felt that there was a need to preserve and document the moment as it is part of my heritage. inspired by a photographer that i had came across and interacted before, mr ronni pinsler, who has documented this religion.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-i believe technicalities i did my best. it was raining that day, a shower. hurriedly shot this photo and ran for cover.
33848_452426503584_786218584_5423032_4809477_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-the moment
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- documentary style photography of a moment.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- taoism has been on a decline in terms of number of members as a religion. possibly, in the near future, this religion may just fade away. i felt that there was a need to preserve and document the moment as it is part of my heritage. inspired by a photographer that i had came across and interacted before, mr ronni pinsler, who has documented this religion.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-i believe technicalities i did my best. it was raining that day, a shower. hurriedly shot this photo and ran for cover.
33848_452426503584_786218584_5423032_4809477_n.jpg

Just a suggestion, correct me if i'm wrong, would it be better not to include the person in red? Cutting him into half seems kind of odd right?

Just a suggestion, correct me if i'm wrong, would it be better not to include the person in red? Cutting him into half seems kind of odd right?

shld be. imagine got 2 piles of joss paper beside u:sweat: hard to move also. i'll keep that in mind and maybe make sure next tiem if i shoot i will be more careful.

thanks a lot!

Last edited:
The physical circumstances (rain etc.) under which this photo was taken is pretty tough especially if your camera is not waterproof/splashproof, because the photos you can get will be largely limited, and you will be forced to hold back quite a bit.

That said, I don't think this photo strikes me as very "documentary", it seems more like a fleeting snapshot- while it certainly acts as a documentation of the temple rituals, this does not equal documentary.

If it weren't raining, there are quite a lot of possibilities that could have opened up. You could have gone much closer, framing in just the man's hand juxtaposed against the intricate chinese characters on the joss paper, for example.

Hope this helps,
AC :)

The physical circumstances (rain etc.) under which this photo was taken is pretty tough especially if your camera is not waterproof/splashproof, because the photos you can get will be largely limited, and you will be forced to hold back quite a bit.

That said, I don't think this photo strikes me as very "documentary", it seems more like a fleeting snapshot- while it certainly acts as a documentation of the temple rituals, this does not equal documentary.

If it weren't raining, there are quite a lot of possibilities that could have opened up. You could have gone much closer, framing in just the man's hand juxtaposed against the intricate chinese characters on the joss paper, for example.

Hope this helps,
AC :)
and i have to concur with that. faced with the restrictions it was quite tedious. i'll take your advice with regards to the documentary part. i'll have to improve with regards to that. thank you!

Lighting is kind of flat, and there is severe camera shake. Sorry bro, this shot is so way lacking in technical execution that the aesthetics part of it did not even come into play here. Better luck next time.

guess luck would be a factor. pray hard it doesnt rain next year.