Temperature tolerance of ur camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Plz state model of camera, estimated (or actual) lowest/highest temperature & venues of which it was field tested as well.

For example in my case...

Model: Minolta Dynax 5D
Battery: Proprietary Li-ion
Lowest Field Operating Temperature: -10 degrees celsius
Venue: Japan (Wakkanai, Cape Soya)

Highest Field Operating Temperature: Apprx 29 degrees celsius
Venue: Singapore

Hopefully mods will make it a sticky so that newbies whom are concerned abt battery life of their cameras in extreme temperatures can have a rough gauge. :)

Model: Nikon D70
Battery: Li-ion EN-EL3
Lowest Field Operating Temperature: -20 degrees celsius (approx 15 minutes, impossible to stay out much longer at that temp)
Venue: Minesota US, (Minneapolis)

Highest Field Operating Temperature: Apprx 33 degrees celsius
Venue: Malaysia

I think its more useful to state how long the camera was out in that said temperature, otherwise, if take-cam-out-of-bag-for-20sec-to-take-a-shot-and-put-it-back kind of scenario still can be considered field tested?... ;)
oh, mind as well also list out the altitude......

Model: Leica M3
Battery: Nil
Highest Temp: Beyond my body tolerance
Lowest Temp: Beyond my body tolerance
Venue: Anywhere, Any Altitude

operating temperature of 0 to 40degC should not be of any problems to any DSLR that runs mainly off electronics. The only area of concern is the mechanical moving parts such as the mirror and shutter. However, the lower the temperature, the better the imaging sensor works.

Battery life is a seperate issue.

Hi,

There is also change of temperature which will apply to any camera.

When I visited Singapore, the room temperature where I was staying would magically drop to 22% during the night.

Faulty air-con ?

When I went outside in the morning (hot) to have a look around and I take out my camera, the lens would mist over. (inside.... AAhhhhh!)

Here I don't have the need to use air-con and therefore the temperature does not change dramatically.

Hence I don't have to worry about it.

Hope this makes some sense to add to this thread :dunno:

Cheers

Nikon D70s
Battery: Li-ion EN-EL3
Highest Field Operating Temperature: Apprx 32 degrees celsius
Venue: Malaysia, Sepang, Nr KL
Operating time: 4-6 hours for 2 days with no problems

a bit off thread here, but i found that noise levels on the CCD tends to be significantly lower in lower temperatures.

my previous P&S camera when warmed up (typical SG weather) after prolonged use tends to be noisy in the shadows even at ISO50.

However, when i brought the same cam to Hokkaido last year, the noises on pictures had literally disappeared. cam was stowed in a small bag at an ambient temp between 0~8 deg C.

Hmm.... U stored it in ur bag? I hung it around my neck at Sapporo at night during winter.
And yeah, I could barely see the noise. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.