tell me about portrait and pose

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

Feb 15, 2002
Silicon Valley
Visit site
for outdoor photoshot, wat equipment are necessary? bounce card? reflector? wat about those white white thing that cover the flash head?wat is it call eh?

must bring those big big flash that use in studio? or those flash that mount on top of your SLR will be enough?

any good book to recommand on basic of portrait and pose?

Thanks.

anonymous said:
for outdoor photoshot, wat equipment are necessary? bounce card? reflector? wat about those white white thing that cover the flash head?wat is it call eh?

must bring those big big flash that use in studio? or those flash that mount on top of your SLR will be enough?

Thanks.

depends on what u wanna achieve...u need to have a final picture in your mind 1st b4 u set out to join whatever shoot that u're joining...

and those white white thing that covers the flash head is called STOFEN OMNI BOUNCE

do a search on the internet and go bookshops to readup about it...but nothing beats learning thru errors ;)

reflector and umbrella , wat are the different, both also can reflect lights isn't it? when to use which?

thanks.

The reflector is used to reflect the sun light (or other light source). More or less fill light or something like that.

An umbrella is used when it starts to rain... :bsmilie: Just kidding. It's used with a flash system to redirect light in a more diffused way. You might wanna read up also on soft boxes.

The best thing to do, is to join a class that teaches studio lightings. Can try Pro Image's course. Had a lot of fun then.

Just to add, I'm no expert at this at all. Just my limited knowledge.

Hope this helps.

umbrellas are for studio already...normally we dun bring studio setups outdoor....beats the point rite...

best way to learn is to join any outdoor model shoot u see...organizer sure will bring reflector etc etc...when to use flash??? juz observe first lo...ppl use u use hahah....
tts part of the learning curve....if on digital better still....juz take wif and w/o and see how lo

omnibounce serves to diffuse light....outdoor flash is normally only for fill purposes...a bounce card will work the same way....personally i perfer a bounce card... ahha...wif the card can tilt the angle of reflected light back into a side of the face instead of away from the face....

umbrellas/softboxes/ strobes etc etc i dun really tink it applies outdoor shoots....haha...

as for books....juz go to any library can already....sure hav one...

anonymous said:

Thanks.

You did not specify what outdoor shots you are interested in.

But just about any outdoor shots can be taken without any other equipment other than your camera.

The basic equipment is your ability to see and use natural light. If you find shadows too harsh, for example with an overhead noon sun, there is almost nothing you can do short of creating a tent over your sitter. Alternatively you can find a shaded area where the diffused light is soft and nice. If you want to use reflectors, again you need to ask if you only want to photograph the face, or the body. If the latter, a huge reflector is necessary.

My approach? I don't shoot model or anything of that sort. I DO make outdoor portraits. Never felt a need for fancy equipments. Nature has provided enough equipments!

student said:
My approach? I don't shoot model or anything of that sort. I DO make outdoor portraits. Never felt a need for fancy equipments. Nature has provided enough equipments!

Last night I took up a book which I bought recently. It was a documentation of the great portrait photographer Avedon photography journey to the American West. The writer of the book followed Avedon and the way he captured the people on to films. From the writings, descriptions, and pictures, Avedon used an unwieldy 8x10 camera (not those superfast autoeverything all singing all dancing cameras. No, not even the digital ones where you can click off 20,000 frames and then decide which one you like!The only other equipment he used was a white cloth used as a backdrop because he wanted no distractions to the portraits.

And what a series of portraits. You can see Avedon's books in Borders, and decide for yourself what really matters - equipments or a good eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.