Telezooms

ravon11

Jun 13, 2011
Hi All,
I am new to photography and would like to get a resale long telezoom to try street photography. I am lookin at sigma 70-300 or tamron 70-210.. Both cost less than my budget of $200.
Wana ask experts here any others telezooms u would recommend to up to min 200mm and budget abt $200..?
Thanks ..

Thks Tony,
But e.g. The sigma 70-300, i can spend less n hav longer focal length..
Jus wan to keep my options open n see if there are other telezooms avaialable..

You get VR with the 55-200mm.

Hmm.. Thanks
So i guess the nikon 55-200 is the better budget telezoom ard?

Hmm.. Thanks
So i guess the nikon 55-200 is the better budget telezoom ard?

With your budget, yes. Pretty much the best you can do.

Or you can save some more and go for the Nikon 70-300 VR. Or save even more and go for the 70-200/2.8VR

I would save alittle more to get AT LEAST a 2nd hand 70-300mm VR

Sgdevilzz said:
I would save alittle more to get AT LEAST a 2nd hand 70-300mm VR

Actually, I never thought much of the Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED.

Yeah, it is a competent lens. But if I'm on DX, i'd rather save the cash and go for either the Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED or the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR.

If I'm on FX, I'd go for the better telephoto lenses. I certainly won't go FX only to compromise my the lenses.

TS asked for $200 budget, and you recommend 70-300VR? Might as well recommend 70-200/2.8VR2. At this budget, the best by a large margin is the Nikon 55-200. You need to spend much more to get better results, 70-300VR is only better in range, optically not different in the overlapping range. To be really better you need the 80-200/2.8.

See Thom Hogan's review www.bythom.com and look for 55-200VR.

Thanks all for comments. Yes, my budget is abt 200 bucks. So i guess u wont recommend the sigma 70-300 or the tamron 70-210? Both r cheaper than the nikon 55-200, preowned..
Anyone used those lens before? Any comments are welcome..

@doediealsomustdive... Thanks, good website..

You're most welcome. I have both the 80-200/2.8 and 55-200VR, used for different ocassions. And had a 70-300ED, which was not bad a lens, but not better than the 55-200.

Thanks all..
I found that there are quite a few telezooms lens on the market.
Wana ask if fully zoomed in at say.. 200 or 300mm, daylight, street photography, does the vr reali plays a part to get sharp image? Cos i wan tinkin shootin at shutter say above 1/640, shouldnt hav shake? Correct me if i'm wrong..?

ravon11 said:
Thanks all..
I found that there are quite a few telezooms lens on the market.
Wana ask if fully zoomed in at say.. 200 or 300mm, daylight, street photography, does the vr reali plays a part to get sharp image? Cos i wan tinkin shootin at shutter say above 1/640, shouldnt hav shake? Correct me if i'm wrong..?

Well, in bright daylight, or indeed, given the high ISO capabilities of the modern digital sensor, that won't be a problem.

Nonetheless, most of these cheap telephotos have apertures of f/5.6 or smaller, so do factor that in. VR may turn out to be more useful that you think.

Good lighting, good posture and shooting technique all help. VR is useful also, since many tele zooms are f/5.6 so when light goes down a bit you still can shoot. The natural progression from there would be fast prime, but that's another story and quite a bit more $$.

For $200 you shoild just go ahead and enjoy the lens. Think later when you've gotten more experience. The next step will cost quite a bit more.

If you don't mind old lenses, go for Nikon 70-210mm D f5.6. Should fit into your budget for a used one.

That's a mediocre lens at best, my opinion of it is very low. From 1990 with F801. And won't AF with lower series cameras (D40, 60, 3000, 3100, 5000, 5100).

Tats part of the reason y i started this thread..my initial target was the nikon55-200. But I hav seen ppl sellin some telezoom at pretty low price lik 160+- bucks. N i am not sure whether to spend more for the additional VR of the 55-200.
Thou some mention tat the vr helps when zoomed in.

The VR will help, but don't expect miracle. Good shooting technique still required.

At 200 f/5.6, you need every bit of help you can get, slightly lower light it will be very difficult to get sharp shots.

Hmm.. Thanks all for ur remarks.. I will settle for a telezoom wif vr, or tamron call it vc!