Teletext ends 30 September

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Good bye Teletext...

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/teletext-end-service-month

It's been 30 good years. I recall my dad using it for shares, for flights...

Ends 30th September...

Singapore — Teletext, an analogue information service provided by MediaCorp, will be discontinued from Sept 30 due to “declining usage”, said MediaCorp.
“Given the antiquated technology, the availability of alternative sites for information and the declining usage of Teletext, we have decided to discontinue the service and channel resources to newer services to better serve our customers and reach a wider audience,” said Mr Philip Koh, Managing Director for Convergent Media, MediaCorp.

Teletext provides general information on news, stock prices, airport, weather and other text-based information.
Over the years, technological advancements have enabled information to be readily accessible online, via mobile devices as well as connected television and outdoor screens, said a MediaCorp statement. These newer digital platforms have seen growth in usage, while the number of users of the non-interactive Teletext service has declined over the years. CHANNEL NEWSASIA

Teletext was useful at a time when Internet and mobile phone surfing was not technically possible or too expensive for the masses.

Makes sense to stop it now.

It's been 30 good years. I recall my dad using it for shares, for flights...

My dad still uses it for shares and flights today

Teletext was useful at a time when Internet and mobile phone surfing was not technically possible or too expensive for the masses.

Makes sense to stop it now.

True.....

However for people like my dad, they'll be hit hard. My dad is still so backwards that he can't even use phone SMS. Despite me having teach him how to use the computer and Internet, he's still unable to catch up with technology. He's 70 years old, and its hard to "teach an old dog new tricks"

Reactions: daredevil123
A lot of old uncles and aunties will be lost... unable to check their stock prices, 4D and Toto results....

A lot of old uncles and aunties will be lost... unable to check their stock prices, 4D and Toto results....

+1..
Plus airport flights..
Elderly are less computer literate and the teletext was good for them..
My mum is very unhappy...

Thot old uncles and aunties read xin min and lian he? Those not too old ones prob converted to iphone users

Starhub HD digital set top box has a TV menu for Interactive Channel 899 for 4D, Toto & Big Sweep results under "Lottery".
They can check SGX stock prices under "Finance". It is more user friendly than the Teletext.

My poor parents in law.... They don't even know how to type in the URL.

It's was good for 4D/toto for me last time and still, I find it's slow. With smartphone in my hand and I hardly on the tv, teletext got to go. Starhub still got their own version if I am not wrong.

My poor parents in law.... They don't even know how to type in the URL.

Easy to create a shortcut for the URL and make an icon for them. Just click on icon to open the website.

Actually... if the daughter is creative enough, she won't just say that there's no solution.

there is in fact one:

hook up the TV to a computer, if she claims the computer's LCD is too small. then blow up the images and text.

your problems are now solved.

It is no longer relevant. Let it go. Thanks for providing 4D and Shares price info before the Internet.

The 4D and stocks information is available in Channel 899 of SCV. No issue.
An 82 year old stroke patient trades shares using Teletext?

Sorry I don't buy the story. Too fanciful. But if true, he definitely can continue doing so using Channel 899 of SCV.

There is no reprieve, so here's good bye teletext, my friend and more importantly, my parents' friend for so many years..

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...cellation-teletext-says-many-elderly-affected

[h=2]Low Thia Khiang questions cancellation of Teletext, says many elderly affected[/h]
20131021_lowthiakang_st_0.jpg
Mr Low asked why Mediacorp was in "such a hurry" to terminate the teletext service before government programmes had ensured seniors were sufficiently prepared to switch to and use the alternatives.

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...cellation-teletext-says-many-elderly-affected

[h=2]Low Thia Khiang questions cancellation of Teletext, says many elderly affected[/h]
20131021_lowthiakang_st_0.jpg
Mr Low asked why Mediacorp was in "such a hurry" to terminate the teletext service before government programmes had ensured seniors were sufficiently prepared to switch to and use the alternatives.

of all the things the bus co-driver can talk about...

My dad was one of those lost ; then I got him an iPhone , download the app and he's now very happy with the new toy.

But aiyo ! Why this issue ? Co-driver going for lesser controversial subjects now ?