Teleplus pro300DG VS KENKO pro300DG 2X Teleconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob

Deregistered
May 11, 2005
Former CS Senior Member
hi there,
pls help me to confirm whether these two TCs have the same optics. are they exactly the same optics? Kenko pro 300DG cost around $300 and Teleplus pro 300DG cost around $200. such a big difference in price. they come in different packaging also.

experts.........your comments pls?:embrass:

thanks in advance.:sweat:

Nikkors... nikkors... TC-20EII. :thumbsup:

Seriously.. save up then, don't buy/sell buy/sell ;)

i've only used kenko pro 300 (non-dg version) and they worked great :) with canon lenses though.

TMC said:
They are the same. so dont bother which one is better, jsut get the cheaper one.

the same optically and mechanism? so the cheaper teleplus perform as good as the more expensive kenko?

This is mind boggling - same product and yet a 50% difference in pricing. Maybe, it's like between Toyota and Lexus - produced by the same company, but with one market as an upmarket product.

I think there might be more to it than that. For example, Nikon has got 2 lenses in the 70-300 range, with very different price, but practically the same lens formula, but one with the expensive ED glass. Size, shape, construction very similar.

srry jacob, borow yr thread to ask someting bout tele con.
when attach TC, does VR function stil in able to use or does it cause any effect to VR lens?

That I wouldnt be sure. The 2H Kenko and Teleplus TCs here are done differently, printed with only 1 name on it, either Kenko or Teleplus. Apparently different versions and models were made, but now consolidated into 1 company/brand. But then even the 2H ones are not priced any different from each other.

If cant be sure, try both go home and check the results and decide.

Just checked Kenko`s parent site.

According to their site, there is 3 versions available; 2 is meant for telephoto lenses 200mm and up.
*Kenko Teleplus Pro 300
Color - White
Range - 1.4x; 2x; 3x (only the 3x is available for Nikon and Canon mt, 1.4x and 2x is only for KM mt)

*Kenko Digital Teleplus Pro 300 - With updated circuitry.
Color - Black
Multiplier - 1.4x; 2x (3x not available)

1 more version that includes a 1.5x model, meant for wides to normal zooms.
Kenko 1.5x Teleplus MC4 DG and Kenko 2x Teleplus MC7 DG

Either way I read it and see it, nothing is different in the optics. except that the digital ones are updated for digital. Try it at the shop first to check compatibility.

1 more point is that the site warns against using the first 2 types of TCs on "wides", anything less that 50mm might get damaged.

I understood that only the white colored one works with AFS lenses. I'm using a white Tamron (now same as Kenko) 2X and has been working well with all the lenses. However couldn't recall whether it worked with the VR.

photografixed said:
the same optically and mechanism? so the cheaper teleplus perform as good as the more expensive kenko?

I believe they are different even though made by the same company. Teleplus is generally the lowerend "brand", while Kenko is the premium branding. If both are the same and as good, Kenko might as well sell it at a higher price and brand the TCs Kenko. The differentiation is probably due to coating and materials used which might have some impact optical quality.

TMC said:
That I wouldnt be sure. The 2H Kenko and Teleplus TCs here are done differently, printed with only 1 name on it, either Kenko or Teleplus. Apparently different versions and models were made, but now consolidated into 1 company/brand. But then even the 2H ones are not priced any different from each other.

If cant be sure, try both go home and check the results and decide.

bro, what do you mean by '2H'? :confused: :confused:

there's kenko pro 300, kenko pro 300 DG and teleplus pro 300 DG....... which one is better?

mpenza said:
I believe they are different even though made by the same company. Teleplus is generally the lowerend "brand", while Kenko is the premium branding. If both are the same and as good, Kenko might as well sell it at a higher price and brand the TCs Kenko. The differentiation is probably due to coating and materials used which might have some impact optical quality.

you might be right but still there are ppl saying they'll are all the same....:confused: . has anyone really tested both TCs, Kenko Pro 300 and Teleplus Pro 300? tried searching web but no result.

I own a Teleplus Pro 300 Dg TC1.4X bought from MS Color for $200 before.
It came in a green box and think I saw Kenko printed.
Had used it on AFD80-200 f2.8, it work but data not show actual.
Also used on AFS80-200 f2.8 and VR 70-200 f2.8, it work and show the correct data
after the converting.

VR2 said:
srry jacob, borow yr thread to ask someting bout tele con.
when attach TC, does VR function stil in able to use or does it cause any effect to VR lens?
VR should still function if the electrical contacts are properly done but may not be as effective because the shake is also magnified. If I'm not wrong, VR works by using an acceleration sensor in the lens to sense the movement and corrects by shifting the correction element to counter the movement optically.

lsisaxon said:
VR should still function if the electrical contacts are properly done but may not be as effective because the shake is also magnified. If I'm not wrong, VR works by using an acceleration sensor in the lens to sense the movement and corrects by shifting the correction element to counter the movement optically.
thx.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.