Telephoto zoom - 500mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Nonis

Sep 23, 2004
Rivervale
I have been taking photos with my D70 for about a year. I have the 18-70mm lens and a Tokina 300mm. Went to take photos of the 2004 and 2005 wakeboarding competition - :( not happy since I cannot even get close to the wakeboarders with 300mm - no emotion.

Thus, I would like to have a 500mm lens - looked on the internet - Wow, the 500mm will burn a BIG hole in my pocket.

Anyone know of cheaper 500mm lens? Tokina, Signma??

Thanks in hope.

Darren Nonis said:
I have been taking photos with my D70 for about a year. I have the 18-70mm lens and a Tokina 300mm. Went to take photos of the 2004 and 2005 wakeboarding competition - :( not happy since I cannot even get close to the wakeboarders with 300mm - no emotion.

Thus, I would like to have a 500mm lens - looked on the internet - Wow, the 500mm will burn a BIG hole in my pocket.

Anyone know of cheaper 500mm lens? Tokina, Signma??

Thanks in hope.

Unfortunately I think you probably need to trade between affordability and quality. You might want to try 2x teleconvertor but I think it'll affect your speed and possible quality shots like some softening & etc.

might be better to try a 1.4 or 2x convertor first before burning the hole....besides how often do u think you will use the 500mm?

Dont bother to buy if u are not professional who can earn $ from your work. Unless u got lots of $ to burn. How often u can use tat kind of lens and its going to be very bulky and heavy. Not something u will want to carry around. Just get a 1.4X converter. 2X will compromise the quality greatly. 300mm with a 1.4X converter alreayd ard 450mm....powerful enough isnt it?

tonika 300 prime? what the aperture? can add TC and still AF or not. :dunno:

alternative would be Bigma 50-500.:think:

you bigma shot looks goods, i was thinking about the bigma but worried about the focusing speed. Looks like the bigma is fast enough.

my advice. Sigma 50-500 will be best suited for you. u get all the range you want. and with HSM, u will be able to focus fast enough on ur camera body.

i will definately NOT recommend a amateur to get a 500mm prime. since it will cost 10k over.

tokina has a 300 f/2.8. sigma and tamron has them too. Tamron has a SP 300mm f/2.8 however the lens is a MF lens, Sigma has a 300mm f/2.8 HSm, but i havent seen anyone using it.. Tokina 300 f/2.8 ATX-pro lens, 2nd cheap too. but wouldnt recommend unless you really wish to buy a lens to keep and collect dust.

Nikon lenses / Canon lenses primes are super pocket killers for amatuers, but the image quality the give command the price.

if you want range, u can consider the following lenses.

a) Nikon AF-S 300mm ED IF F/4 + 1.4xTC/ 1.7xTC (u will still able to AF fast enough since its AFS)
b) Nikon AF 300 F/4 ED IF F/4 +1.4TC (slow af due to stacking, but still managable)

c) Sigma 100-300 F/4 HSM + 1.4xTC/ 2X TC (you will maybe lose AF if u stack 2X, Image becomes extremely soft when you stack TC)

d) Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 +1.4xTC/ 2XTC (functions as a 140-400mm f/5.6 lens, still can AF, but hunts in low light conditions, same problems with some sigma lenses, when stacked, gives soft image)

e) Sigma 50-500mm - good lens, all rounder. but cannot stack TC, its possible to stack, but u will definately use AF.

e) Tokina ATX-PRO 300mm F/2.8 +1.4x or 2X TC, still fuctions, but i dun see a point why.. image very poor. colour contrast too.. AF Slow like molasses.. dun even mention stacking with a TC.

Sub 2K SUper telelens.... Sigma 50-500... 2nd hand 1.4 - 1.6k or even lesser. my bid goes for 50-500. :)

kensh09 said:
Dont bother to buy if u are not professional who can earn $ from your work. Unless u got lots of $ to burn. How often u can use tat kind of lens and its going to be very bulky and heavy. Not something u will want to carry around. Just get a 1.4X converter. 2X will compromise the quality greatly. 300mm with a 1.4X converter alreayd ard 450mm....powerful enough isnt it?

smart and direct. i like this answer.dont bother to buy a tele prime if ur not professional who can earn the $ back for the lens from work and assignment.

kensh09 is right. u might tink its good, but when u grow older, even a 200 f/2 or 300 f/2.8 will kill you for its weight.

and singapore do not have much sporting events, so seriously. i dun see a reason why u should get such a telephoto lens jjust because u cant shoot close enough during some sporting events. its simply not practical... esp for amatuers.. :nono:

ortega said:
you bigma shot looks goods, i was thinking about the bigma but worried about the focusing speed. Looks like the bigma is fast enough.

Thanx. The focusing speed while tracking is pretty ok but the accuracy tends to be abit picky (ie, it slightly back or front focuses sometimes). But for the price, reach, image quality (very sharp stopped down to F6.3 for <400mm, F8 for 400-500mm) and flexibility (as opposed to a prime), i'm not complaining. Anyway, you can get a 2nd hand one for around 1200-1300+ (1 yr or so old). Got mine for <$1200 (2 yrs old).

Funny story.. I met the previous owner at the wakeboard event and as he only had a 70-200 which was too short, he made a joke about offering to buy it back. :bsmilie:

I like to thank all of you for responding to my question - all of you were a great help in enlightening me on this matter.

Now I think I will have to read more about teleconverters - most of you are right, I am not making $ back - so burning a BIG hole is not a option.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU to All!

Darren Nonis said:
I like to thank all of you for responding to my question - all of you were a great help in enlightening me on this matter.

Now I think I will have to read more about teleconverters - most of you are right, I am not making $ back - so burning a BIG hole is not a option.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU to All!

You wanna got a TC1.4X if your Tokina 300mm is f4 or TC2.0X/1.4X if f2.8.
Less cost but lower pic quality if you ok and just to get the reach.

Else go for bigma 50-500mm if you got the money..

For me, I am using my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with TC1.4X & 2X.

Actually, you should just buy the AF-S 500 f/4.

*espn runs

There's still a lens to consider - Sigma 120-300 f2.8! Sharp lens, add in a TC to get 420 f4 or 600 f5.6. Its not exactly cheap, but I think its a in between for the tele primes and Bigma.

Splutter said:
There's still a lens to consider - Sigma 120-300 f2.8! Sharp lens, add in a TC to get 420 f4 or 600 f5.6. Its not exactly cheap, but I think its a in between for the tele primes and Bigma.
I was looking at that nice piece of glass as well
but the price :bigeyes:

i think i will make do with the bigma and use skill to compensate for slower glass

Just to agar the price...what will be the price range of a new 50-500mm??

What about the Tokina 80-400mm??? Price?

Thanks

volk said:
Just to agar the price...what will be the price range of a new 50-500mm??

What about the Tokina 80-400mm??? Price?

Thanks

Sigma 50-500mm around $1.6K to $1.7K.

Status
Not open for further replies.