Telephoto lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cereal

Apr 6, 2005
Singapore
darylsoh74.blogspot.com
Hi guys & gals,

I need to get some advise on a telephoto lens. Currently I'm using a nikon system.

I have a budget of <$400. I'm gearing towards a 55-200VR secondhand. But I would like to know if there's more options other than the nikon 55-200vr.

I will use this lens mostly outdoor. I would like to shoot animals and probably some motor sports. Under bright condition I think it should be sufficient even if I have not try it before.

So if any kind souls can advise me on this. Thanks ;)

Hi guys & gals,

I need to get some advise on a telephoto lens. Currently I'm using a nikon system.

I have a budget of <$400. I'm gearing towards a 55-200VR secondhand. But I would like to know if there's more options other than the nikon 55-200vr.

I will use this lens mostly outdoor. I would like to shoot animals and probably some motor sports. Under bright condition I think it should be sufficient even if I have not try it before.

So if any kind souls can advise me on this. Thanks ;)

Tat would be a nice choice unless you're looking at the 70-300 ED for your budget constraint. The VR version would be about 1 k or so, IIRC. ;)

I was aiming for a VR.. 'cos of the focal length and my shaky hands.. but thanks for the input

You can try a 70-300G lens, which is very cheap. VR is useful, but you can probably do without, given your budget. Learn how to use and use a higher shutter speed.

Else, you can save up for the 70-300VR instead.

You can try a 70-300G lens, which is very cheap. VR is useful, but you can probably do without, given your budget. Learn how to use and use a higher shutter speed.

Hmm...i kinda disagree thou, for a first telephoto, i think the 55-200mm VR's a real gem :D
its VR and throughout its focal ranges, it hardly distorts at all.
seriously, once you try out VR, you'll never want a non-VR telephoto, imho =P

Besides, while the 70-300G is really a cheap lens, no doubt about it, i tried out and and quite a few online reviews will mention that it softens and distorts kinda badly at higher focal lengths.

Nevertheless, its up to you, if the softness and distortions don't bother you and you think you need that 300mm, the 70-300G seriously bargain for a telephoto of that focal length.
Otherwise, the 55-200 VR gives ya a nice focal length (again! imho only :sweat:) and the VR'll get you a lot more sharper photos :)

Take your time to test the two out at the shop when you decide to buy them ;)

Since your budget is around $400, the best choice is 55-200 vr.

Hmm...i kinda disagree thou, for a first telephoto, i think the 55-200mm VR's a real gem :D
its VR and throughout its focal ranges, it hardly distorts at all.
seriously, once you try out VR, you'll never want a non-VR telephoto, imho =P

Besides, while the 70-300G is really a cheap lens, no doubt about it, i tried out and and quite a few online reviews will mention that it softens and distorts kinda badly at higher focal lengths.

Nevertheless, its up to you, if the softness and distortions don't bother you and you think you need that 300mm, the 70-300G seriously bargain for a telephoto of that focal length.
Otherwise, the 55-200 VR gives ya a nice focal length (again! imho only :sweat:) and the VR'll get you a lot more sharper photos :)

Take your time to test the two out at the shop when you decide to buy them ;)

Hehehe, the 70-300 G lens was my first telephoto. comes free with the F65. Of course then, no choice as the 55-200 VR didn't exists.

You learn to work within the limits of the lens. with digital, it becomes 450mm, so you can reach much further than the 55-200 (at 300mm equivalent). It is also extremely light for a telephoto lens

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm

I certainly won't deny that VR is useful. Personally, I would prefer the 18-200mm VR, which I have, for its versatility. So I never need to consider the 55-200mmVR. I would consider the 70-300VR though.

Of course, for TS, given the budget and die die must get a telephoto now, then 55-200VR would be a good choice. If can wait, then can save up for better lenses. eg 80-200. or 70-200

O RLY?

hope you have fun with it, its a great value-for-money telephoto ;)

awed by the VR yet? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.