Teleconvertor plus closeup filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
Hi guys,

Ive just got myself some closeup filters to try out with macro photography. Together with a c210 1.9x teleconvertor, i thought i would get better magnification, but after some clarification, i won't get higher magnification, its just that i do not need to get that close to those insects.

Here, the problem arises. I realise that when i dun use the TC with the +4, i feel that although i need to get nearer, i get much higher magnification. On the other hand, with the TC, though i need not get so close to the insects, i realise that i get poor magnification.

So, whats the problem and should i use TC with a +4? Furthermore, i feel that using a TC gives me better bokeh (or is it just me?)

Can all seniors and macro experts like megaweb and azone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

:)

closeup filters allow u to focus at closer distance, it doesn't really magnify i think.

hmm.. u say with TC and +4, u get lower magnification. this is weird. what i understand is your tc almost double your focal length, that should double your magnification. and with +4, u can focus closer and get higher magnification compared to only using +4 alone.

yes, the longer the focal length, the better the bokeh will be.

somebody correct me if i am wrong. :p

Yep..thats precisely the case. i THOUGHT i will be getting higher magnification with a TC, but it wasnt the case, with the TC, i couldnt go too near, or i will get OOF. Thus by moving further, the high magnification is lost.

Someone can provide a solution?

Thanks daredevil. :)

have u played with the focus ring?

i remember one end giving u higher magnification, the other end giving u lower magnification.

The results you're getting is perfectly normal.

With your setup (cam > +4 > TC i assume), the magnification is smaller becoz your focusing distance is increased. You must understand that a close-up filter shortens your focusing distance, while a TC increases your focusing distance. So with your setup, the filter shortens your focusing distance 1st, and then your TC increases the distance again. They kinda cancel each other out. But becoz the 'shortening' effect of the +4 is stronger than the 'increasing' effect of the TC, therefore you still get some magnification but at a longer focusing distance.

Unless your setup is cam > TC > +4 will you then get a bigger magnification. In this case, the TC 1st increases the focusing distance. But the +4 will shorten the distance back to around 20-25cm. You must understand also that a +4 will always reduce the focusing distance to around 20-25cm regardless of your cam's zoom factor(with or without TC).

Yes, you can still use your current setup in other areas. E.g., taking butterflies, where you do not need dat high a magnification but you do need quite a bit of working distance.

As far as i know, a TC doesn't improve the bokeh.

Hope the above helps. :)

the TC will lengthen your focal length so you can be further away from your subject but it will not affect the magnification ratio. putting the TC and the closeup together should not yield a higher magnification ratio, just a longer working distance to the subject....
not sure wat gear you are using but the only oither way to increase magnification is to use an extension tube/tubes. :)

Oic..thanz daredevil, azone and gitz!

So, what i am getting is perfectly normal. But the setup of cam>TC>+4 is not possible on my A40 leh. The TC does not have a screw on thingy on top of it. Any idea to work around?

May i know what is an extension tube? how does it look like and how much does it cost?

Originally posted by Wryer
Oic..thanz daredevil, azone and gitz!

So, what i am getting is perfectly normal. But the setup of cam>TC>+4 is not possible on my A40 leh. The TC does not have a screw on thingy on top of it. Any idea to work around?

May i know what is an extension tube? how does it look like and how much does it cost?
Yup, most TCs do not have threads on the outside end. No decent workaround for this unless you go buy a larger +4 and tape it up onto the TC! Seriously, if you really need that much magnification, might as well get another +4 to stack.

Extension tubes for used for SLR/DSLRs, so not applicable for your use. :)

Already using dual +4 liao le! Haha..still find the magnification much reduced when compared to using one with TC. Guess i will have to make do with it. Since i can't too close to an insect anyway. Thanks azone.

OT: anyone knows how much a 2nd hand 602z cost in TCW? hehe..backside itchy lah.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.