Tele / Macro shots with black background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I was wondering how do the CSers here get a black background in their tele / macro shots?
Issit PS??
or they bring black card and AL reflector? (but how to explain for the tele flying birdshots?)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
close down aperture, high speed shutter, confirm black 1.. but seriously, any pic reference to what u wanna achieve?
remember to use strong flash to illuminate the subject if not everything black:bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
close down aperture, high speed shutter, confirm black 1.. but seriously, any pic reference to what u wanna achieve?

Sounds like a joke... :bsmilie: Must ask well ask me to cover the lens with the lens cap.
No offence... just kidding... I was looking at a bird in flight, the background is back while the bird is illuminated and well contrasted. Made me drool at the effects.

roti_prata said:
remember to use strong flash to illuminate the subject if not everything black:bsmilie:

Must it be a external speedlight?
Check with you, if I adjust to high shutter and small aperture with flash, my built in flash can sync at 1/200 only.
How to take tele shots?

subject in the light
and background in the shade

expose for the subject
and the background will go black or dark

I'll give it a try this coming vacation in the nature parks.
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

i don't know about the birds, but for macro, flash + small aperture + low iso (+ fast shutter) = black background

ortega said:
subject in the light
and background in the shade

expose for the subject
and the background will go black or dark

think for his hor, the most i can think of is background super far, den he have the subject in the path of his flash (or maybe even flash extender), den do a high speed flash sync... confirm background underexpose... and provided, the sun is on the other side, not facing the camera...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
think for his hor, the most i can think of is background super far, den he have the subject in the path of his flash (or maybe even flash extender), den do a high speed flash sync... confirm background underexpose... and provided, the sun is on the other side, not facing the camera...

Wah... chieem man.... other than luck (waiting for birds to fly across), still have to see conditions (sun / lighting support).... In the end, still have to depend on technique (coz I want to do panning bird shot)...:sweat:

Hoky said:
Wah... chieem man.... other than luck (waiting for birds to fly across), still have to see conditions (sun / lighting support).... In the end, still have to depend on technique (coz I want to do panning bird shot)...:sweat:

when u use flash, u dun have to do panning already... u do panning is for the background blur only... and now u wan black background, and panning, which part u wan blur? u very :thumbsup:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
when u use flash, u dun have to do panning already... u do panning is for the background blur only... and now u wan black background, and panning, which part u wan blur? u very :thumbsup:

Haahaa... difficult to capture bird in static shot mah... :dunno:
must chase... :bigeyes:
No need to blur the background or wings... juz need to get the right moment. :sweatsm:

Hope I get something good this weekend or next... Wish me luck.

Hoky said:
(coz I want to do panning bird shot)...:sweat:

:bigeyes: panning bird shots??!!!???!!!

if bird is sharp and have movement from panning
and you want the background to be black
how to see the movement?

moving black bg is still black, no difference

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
How about shooting bats and owls?

ortega said:
:bigeyes: panning bird shots??!!!???!!!

if bird is sharp and have movement from panning
and you want the background to be black
how to see the movement?

moving black bg is still black, no difference

Actually the concept came from a poster... those type that says about teamwork and such with pictures... I saw a sharp eagle flying by with black background (maybe PSed)...

Just trying to imitate the same technique.

lsisaxon said:
How about shooting bats and owls?

I saw on documentary how they shoot bats... they fly so fast they have to use special 40 flashes (flashing one by one) at 1/2000s sync to the bat's movement... Solid man..

Hoky said:
Actually the concept came from a poster... those type that says about teamwork and such with pictures... I saw a sharp eagle flying by with black background (maybe PSed)...

Just trying to imitate the same technique.
That may be possible because in other countries, you can get really dark blue skies on a cloudy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.