[ Techtips ] How to check shutter count on G1 *****

hydroburn249

Oct 4, 2007
Woodlands
www.flickr.com
hi guys found this on dpreview 4/3s forums. it requires dexterous hands to perform, but it does work.

pressing this combination of keys will allow you to check the shutter count (SHTCNT), the power on PWRCNT, and an unknown variable STBCNT which has been thought either to mean standby count, or strobe flash count. also displays your firmware version.

1. Switch off camera
2. Switch to Single Shot Mode
3. Press "Film Mode" and "Display" together, hold these
4. Switch on camera, release the buttons after a short while.
5. Press "Menu/Set" and "left arrow" together, hold them, ignore the display
6. In addition(!) press 2 times "Film Mode"

Now you should see the history of problems with date and a code, up to 16 items.

7. Press "Menu/Set" and "left arrow" togeter once again and hold them
8. another additional press on "Film Mode" and you see a screen with 3 counters:
No.:
PWRCNT: counts the "switch on's"
SHTCNT: counts use of the shutter
STBCNT: maybe a counter for the standby?

Once again No. 7 and 8 will bring you back to normal operation.

useful for those who want to buy a used G1, (i assume it works on GF1 and GH1 too) or for those bros who want to sell off their cameras, and would like to be truthful about shutter count.

Very useful info. Thank for sharing bro. :)
tried & it works.

Excellent! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

For these Liveview cameras well maybe not for G1 but for those that can take video, the reason anyone would want to check the shutter count is it for the shutter lifespan or is it for the sensor lifespan? if it is the sensor lifespan won't it be useless info? unless there is something to track how much time sensor has been exposed?

Well, my point is if you have someone who takes 200 photosnaps but took say 1000 hours on video, will the shutter count show 200 or something else?

../azul123

Last edited:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thought it doesn't exists liao, after waiting so long with no one knowing. Still depending on my file numbers to count.

For these Liveview cameras well maybe not for G1 but for those that can take video, the reason anyone would want to check the shutter count is it for the shutter lifespan or is it for the sensor lifespan? if it is the sensor lifespan won't it be useless info? unless there is something to track how much time sensor has been exposed?

Well, my point is if you have someone who takes 200 photosnaps but took say 1000 hours on video, will the shutter count show 200 or something else?

../azul123

u have a good point. this i'm not sure. a new user to dslr (technically G1 not dslr) only 2 months old, so dont know all the tech behind it.

but it is useful for those who want to know about the shutter count rite?

Great work, check mine last night under 2K shuttercount :)

I thot there is no shutter window, how come got count? :bsmilie:

Don't every camera have a shutter? :bsmilie: What the G1 doesn't have is the mirror box. You know the mirror flips up and down? :bsmilie:

I thot there is no shutter window, how come got count? :bsmilie:

There is. G1 is still using mechanical shutter.

paiseh!!! I think I better go and learn more abt m4/3 before making any other comment! :p

paiseh!!! I think I better go and learn more abt m4/3 before making any other comment! :p

Haha. If we had met before you made that comment, would have saved you from that. Are you planning to dump your 7D for a m4/3? ;p

Haha. If we had met before you made that comment, would have saved you from that. Are you planning to dump your 7D for a m4/3? ;p

hey!!! hahaha ... no la... no intention for m4/3 yet.

hey!!! hahaha ... no la... no intention for m4/3 yet.

We do miss you in this community. Maybe when the new flagship bodies are released in this year, we might see you back here. Who knows?