Techniques in event/ wedding shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIXX

Jan 24, 2004
Hi! I need some advice and views on the the techniques while photographing wedding/event shoots from you experts out there.

A) What mode do you generally use (Shutter Priority/Aperture/ Program)?

Personally, it depends on what and when I am shooting. I may switch accordingly. But see if you guys/gals do the same or stick to one.

B) Do you shoot in AF during the whole run?

C) What lens range do you recommend?

17-35mm
28 - 100mm

:) ;)

A) i use all.. usually M mode when shooting gigs.

B) 90% of the time AF

C) what works for me may not work for u. again, it depends on what u are shooting. 17-55 can only cover that much. for gigs, having a telephoto with u will be good. for events, i can't say for sure as well. it's a good general lens and can cover most stuffs.
i won't recommend 28-100 because of the aperture and, 28mm is a focal length which is "not here not there" for me..

a. M mode all the way.

b. AF all the way.

c. 17-55mm will be good enough, if got outdoor recommend 85mm and 50mm. light in weight.

A) i use all.. usually M mode when shooting gigs.

B) 90% of the time AF

C) what works for me may not work for u. again, it depends on what u are shooting. 17-55 can only cover that much. for gigs, having a telephoto with u will be good. for events, i can't say for sure as well. it's a good general lens and can cover most stuffs.
i won't recommend 28-100 because of the aperture and, 28mm is a focal length which is "not here not there" for me..

a) Manual mode? Would it be slow to react than the other modes?

b) Agree

c) So whats your preference? 17-35 (not 55mm). 28/35 - 100mm would be a main portrait shots. Telephoto will be a additional lens for other shots too.

a) Manual mode? Would it be slow to react than the other modes?

b) Agree

c) So whats your preference? 17-35 (not 55mm). 28/35 - 100mm would be a main portrait shots. Telephoto will be a additional lens for other shots too.

for gigs, know what to expect and actually u are faster than using AV/TV/P modes.

i like to use 35mm and 85mm and a 17-40L for shooting weddings. for gigs, i'll add a 70-200 in case i need some reach. like to use primes more because of the ability to shoot low light without using flash..

A) A (not AUTOMATIC) mode most of the time. Occassion M depending on situation.

B) 99% AF

C) Usually 17-55, occassionally 70-200 or 50 f1.4 depending on situation

a) Using M mode can be faster or slow than P,A,S modes (because it is dependent on how fast you are!) For beginner, avoid using manual if this is an important event because it will slow you down. But for tricky lighting, most likely you will have to shoot manual coz the camera will be fooled by those lightings...

Basically, for me I keep changing between A, S and M modes to get what I want.

b) The same goes for MF vs AF...

c) For lens wise, depending on what event you are shooting and what pictures you are after for lor...

Anticipate moments to come. Sense and observe your surroundings (like radar) to look for photo worthy shots -- not everything happens on stage / main subject.

Use this. I never shoot RAW+JPG anymore. RAW is enough.
http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/
I'm using a Canon 350D, this is for Nikon only, right? Anyway, for mine, the JPG is a separate file, not embedded in the RAW file. Useful for quick delivery of the 'goods'. Anyway, for less important stuff, I'll just stick to JPG-Large.

get the admin programme, then walk ard during empty slots of wide shots, close ups etc...no one win win mode of shooting one...for me, sometimes, it is Av, Tv or M.

I'm using a Canon 350D, this is for Nikon only, right? Anyway, for mine, the JPG is a separate file, not embedded in the RAW file. Useful for quick delivery of the 'goods'. Anyway, for less important stuff, I'll just stick to JPG-Large.
Yes, only for Nikon and some Canon camera.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.