Technical vs Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemystery

Mar 31, 2008
Is technicality more important or the creative, artistic idea behind it?

Do you look more towards the aesthetic, rather than the meaning and concept behind the photo?

Do you prefer an actual representation of the image in your photos, or the surreal?

Some thoughts which I've been wondering about...

Have been looking thru many technically great and beautiful photographs, yet they start to bore me. They just look pretty, but they all look similar to each other, and I do not want that in my photos. Its Just like looking at blondes...If you get what I mean.

Concept is more important to me as compared to aesthetics. Its like meeting this girl whom you'd overlook coz of her looks, but then deep inside, her inner personality shines.

I'd analyse photos for the meaning its trying to convey...If its aesthetically pleasing, its a bonus.

I highly appreciate originality, differences, and a strong concept. I want to see fresh ideas in photos...rather than sticking closely to technicalities. Somehow, Whenever I go for a photo outing, whenever I see photographers all crowding at one spot to take photos from one perspective, I tell myself that's one perspective I'm NEVER gonna take from.

Are being avant gardes the way to go? Challenging the notions of what's traditionally technical photography...

Maybe I'm abit individualistic in my photography hobby, but personally, I feel the herd mentality should not be present in photography. I wonder if I'm the only one...:think:

So what do you guys think?:D

Last edited:
Like Ying and Yang, a good photographer must strike a balance between the two. I am trained in both technical and creative aspects of photography, but sometimes I find myself lacking in creativity but strong in technicality. Think of creativity as being Ying and technicality as being Yang. I believe that being creative depends highly on the person's mental state and external influences.

Working in this industry for more than 10 years, I came across art/creative directors who have very innovative ideas but when in comes to executing ideas onto a physical image, it can pose a challenge to them. In this kind of situation, being technical helps.

Both technical and creativity must co-exist in harmony to compromise each other.

Last edited:
u need both... lack of either u will not be in this profession for long... *thank god i'm not*

well, there is people who are darn good in the technical aspect, but keep shooting the same kinda pics over and over again... good for jobs like standard catalog product shoot... can replicate the same look over and over again... for creative people then is a misery, cos they can't stand having the same look every single time...

those who are good in creativity but no skills will keep taking those 'artistic' shots like blurred until dunno what... yes, once in a while ok, nice feel, but will feel the drag, cos you can't improve on the current level... you can shoot in great angles and composition, but if the subject is blurred due to bad control of camera settings... back to square one... useless images...

i find most of us here belong to the technical level... creativity level... most of them won't be talking here... cos might not be able to get pass the logon screen... lol...

ya man coz the technical purists here will flame flame flame the creative ones.

To begin with, the technical purists are too Yang and obnoxious.

Creative individuals will just stay cool and drink liang teh.

Last edited:
haha. Who are the clubsnappers more on the creative side? Let's go drink liang teh together.

Anyway, I'm still kinda new to some terms. Purists are people strong in technical area I presume...Or simply those take photos always the same one?

sometimes i wonder... if 'more creative' ppl are more stubborn than 'more technical' ppl or vice versa...

Lol. One is stubborn to change. The other i stubborn to conform. But sometimes, I feel, you have to challenge stuff only to be able to progress. Like when most people believe the world is flat...and those who challenged the idea that the world is round instead, and kena criticised.;p

People who are creative does not mean they cast their basics of technical handling aside.

I have seen creative shots with precision technicalities making it an art in every sense.

I do not confuse creativity with slip shod cheap work. Of course the appreciation of whats beautiful whats not is subjective. A super oof shot with some wierd lighting patterns can be nice to some - but if thats the original intent of the person who made the shot, he probably put in effort to plan the shoot and make it oof, rather than to call it creative / overly process / BnW ( whatever ) after he screwed up the shot he intended to make.

Ryan

haha. Who are the clubsnappers more on the creative side? Let's go drink liang teh together.

Anyway, I'm still kinda new to some terms. Purists are people strong in technical area I presume...Or simply those take photos always the same one?

i give u a hint. the ones who are. dun bother posting here coz they know they dun need praise to validate what they do.

i give u a hint. the ones who are. dun bother posting here coz they know they dun need praise to validate what they do.

Got lah.

I can see here some creative fundamentalists, creative extremists, creative revolutionaries; creative left wingers, creative elites, creative heartlanders, creative Nikonians, creative Canonians, creative purists, creative spiritualists, creative voyeuerists etc. etc.

They all wear a different sheep skin. :)

Creativity without execution = hot air
Technicality without strong content = wall paper.
Both have their strong points. The right combination of both = Super Ichiban.

Is technicality more important or the creative, artistic idea behind it?

Do you look more towards the aesthetic, rather than the meaning and concept behind the photo?

Do you prefer an actual representation of the image in your photos, or the surreal?

Some thoughts which I've been wondering about...

Have been looking thru many technically great and beautiful photographs, yet they start to bore me. They just look pretty, but they all look similar to each other, and I do not want that in my photos. Its Just like looking at blondes...If you get what I mean.

Concept is more important to me as compared to aesthetics. Its like meeting this girl whom you'd overlook coz of her looks, but then deep inside, her inner personality shines.

I'd analyse photos for the meaning its trying to convey...If its aesthetically pleasing, its a bonus.

I highly appreciate originality, differences, and a strong concept. I want to see fresh ideas in photos...rather than sticking closely to technicalities. Somehow, Whenever I go for a photo outing, whenever I see photographers all crowding at one spot to take photos from one perspective, I tell myself that's one perspective I'm NEVER gonna take from.

Are being avant gardes the way to go? Challenging the notions of what's traditionally technical photography...

Maybe I'm abit individualistic in my photography hobby, but personally, I feel the herd mentality should not be present in photography. I wonder if I'm the only one...:think:

So what do you guys think?:D

Got lah.

I can see here some creative fundamentalists, creative extremists, creative revolutionaries; creative left wingers, creative elites, creative heartlanders, creative Nikonians, creative Canonians, creative purists, creative spiritualists, creative voyeuerists etc. etc.

My God, What are all those terms?:confused:

Got lah.

i also see creative yarnspinners :bsmilie:

I honestly dont really care for either , as long as I like the final product and am proud of it :)
whats the point of taking a photo that everybody likes but you yourself hates it? :dunno:
this is assuming of course , that you are not in the photography industry 'cos if you are in and are working for customers , then them liking it matters ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.