Tech Support - Connecting One Router to Antoher

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

wonder if one of you IT experts can help with this:

I'm trying to connect a Singnet broadband modem to another wireless router. Is it psosible?

The modem is a 2-wires brand and already comes with its own onboard router (ie it has four ports to connect additional stuffs). it also has wireless capability on its own.

Now, before you start asking why in the world I'd want to do that, I'll explain it at the bottom.

So, now the question is, can I just connect a ethernet wire from one of the 4 ports behind the bb modem (say port 1) direct into the "Internet" socket in my wireless router? I understand that I may have to manually configure one or the other to use an IP other than the usual 192.168.1.1 or else there may be some clashes.

Anyway, the reason whY I want to try to do this is because my BB modem's wireless range is very short. I"m planning to get a long range wireless router to try to increase the range. I need maybe 100-200 feet at least of range.

As a side question, anyone has recommendations on what is the longest range wireless router avialable? I have been recommended this Belkin Pre-N router - anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks again!

actually you can just get a 7dbi or higher antenna & try... there is those cheap or expensive ones around.

anyway, to solve this, i'm not sure which modem u have, if its possible to disable the router function on the modem.

anyway, you can take either port from the modem, use a straight cable, connect to the uplink port of the router. that will do. (i think) or to the wan port, but very troublesome, as need to set it to intranet or cable. etc etc..

Hi Vince,

You have 2 ways to solve your issue.
1. Use Wireless Access Point connect to your 2H-Singnet BB Router.
What is Access Point [AP] => A device which converts Wireless Lan to Wired Lan.
Bare in mind that still need a Lan Cable connection from your AP to your Router.
2. Use a Wireless Range Expander, i.e. Linksys Wireless Range Expander
For this device you will not need a physical lan connection to your BB Router.

Now which on is "suitable" for you, depend on where and when you would like to apply.

Cheers

Do you know if its possible to connect one router to another? ie connect a wireless router to my on-board router on the BB modem?

laheyhv said:
Hi Vince,

You have 2 ways to solve your issue.
1. Use Wireless Access Point connect to your 2H-Singnet BB Router.
What is Access Point [AP] => A device which converts Wireless Lan to Wired Lan.
Bare in mind that still need a Lan Cable connection from your AP to your Router.
2. Use a Wireless Range Expander, i.e. Linksys Wireless Range Expander
For this device you will not need a physical lan connection to your BB Router.

Now which on is "suitable" for you, depend on where and when you would like to apply.

Cheers

Pointless.

You'll be routing 2 times which poses problems. Never put a router behind a router unless you know what you're doing.

One option would be to go laheyhv says, which i feel is pretty costly.

A simple solution:

1. Put a static IP to DMZ on your 2Wire DSL modem.
2. 1 straight UTP cable from the modem -> Wireless Router / Access point (Linksys WRT54G with 3rd party firmware recommended for radio power adjustment - Checkout Sveasoft / Hyper WRT)
3. UTP cable to WRT54G should be to the WAN port.

This setup works as its being deployed @ my friend's place with a Speedtouch Pro router on Singtel Magix.

Hi there, thanks for your advice.

So basically your setup at your friend's place is a router behind a router right? The only extra step is to put a static ip to DMZ (whatever that means) right?

So you plug the DSL modem's out (using one of the four onboard ports) to the wireless router's "WAN" right? This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Could yu assist on how this static ip on DMZ thing works?

dEthANGeL said:
Pointless.

You'll be routing 2 times which poses problems. Never put a router behind a router unless you know what you're doing.

One option would be to go laheyhv says, which i feel is pretty costly.

A simple solution:

1. Put a static IP to DMZ on your 2Wire DSL modem.
2. 1 straight UTP cable from the modem -> Wireless Router / Access point (Linksys WRT54G with 3rd party firmware recommended for radio power adjustment - Checkout Sveasoft / Hyper WRT)
3. UTP cable to WRT54G should be to the WAN port.

This setup works as its being deployed @ my friend's place with a Speedtouch Pro router on Singtel Magix.

By DMZ a LAN IP ... you're exposing that IP or client directly to the internet. Do google on what DMZ is about.

As to your 2Wire ADSL modem ... read through, but not much details on how one or how to put an IP to DMZ. You might want to tinker around with the modem abit to see whether you have this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.