Tech question that really got me stumped

Foxshade

Jun 26, 2009
In cat's stomach
I've been working in IT line for 10 years. This is one of those IT question posed by user that got me stumped.

I made it a habit of answering questions as informative and as friendly as possible.
Dear XXXX & XXXXXXX,

Take note of below msg received from the vessel.

Understand virtually daily all systems are scanned for viruses - How come office scanner generate virus.

Advice / assist.

XXXXXXXXXX // XXxxxXXXXXxxXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxXXXXX Fleet Operations Department

T +xxxxxxxxxxx / F +xxxxxxxxxxx / M +xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been working in IT line for 10 years. This is one of those IT question posed by user that got me stumped.

I made it a habit of answering questions as informative and as friendly as possible.

lolx!

I still need to reply to user leh.
I can't insert the ":bsmilie:" icon in my reply right?:sweat:

Sweet mother of *toot toot* :bsmilie:

how did this fella get the information that the scanner was the one that generated the virus? :think:

This is a classic case of PLBKAU

:bsmilie:

nice one :)

Dear XXXX & XXXXXXX,

Understand virtually daily all systems are scanned for viruses - How come office scanner generate virus.

Advice / assist.

Dear user,

Pray tell us on how you determined that the scanner had generated a virus. A document scanner is a device in which it translates the image it scans to a digital copy with no further inputs from any users nor devices.

A virus is generated normally by a programmer who then in turn tries to distribute it via means and ways such as emails, innocent looking programs or downloaded files. Once a computer terminal has been infected, it can then infect other terminals within the same network or via transmission of infected files, etc.

And thus to answer your query, ]

NO, an office scanner is incapable of generating a virus.

Only a user can help transmit it along. :)

Update:

I asked user to send me the mail he thinks has virus infection.

Everything looks in proper order. PDF attachments from (the virus infected) scanner are OK. The pdf files are what he was supposed to send over.

Shall I ask him to take MC for the day to have his head examined?

Now the virus investigation really went to a ground halt.:dunno:

for all u know, the 'user' might be a CS member.
:bigeyes::bsmilie::bsmilie:

before you ask him to take MC, ask customer...do you mean bacterial airborne virus (that cause him to think like that) or software/program that affected the files from working properly.

if it's the 1st, then go ahead ask him to see a doc;)

for all u know, the 'user' might be a CS member.
:bigeyes::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Possible, but:
- all info pointing to any certain individual has been removed
- I didn't know how to answer without any sarcastic remarks (later I decided to ask user to send the mail which he thinks got virus to me)
- after further check, is best. I have no idea what makes him think there's virus.

All legitimate reasons what... some more can entertain everyone minus that guy only....:think: It's worth it.:devil:

:eek:you've forgotten to scan the scanner :bsmilie:

I am asking my vendors for AV solutions that can scan scanners, stationaries, toners and other office supplies.
:sweatsm:

Last edited:
Maybe he has a thumb drive on his computer during the scan. The virus maybe came from the thumb drive.

There has been a case that I fixed that the malware will create a backup of itself.
1. It create a new file in the user document with the original name as the user document. (Example: abc.bmp = abc.exe)
2. It disable folder option and hide all hidden files
3. It hides the orignal image file
4. It changes the file exe icon to .bmp icon

When user click open the icon, the script will run as well as open the image so the user will not suspect anything. It took me 3 visit to fix my friend infected with the virus, as he backup his documents with the virus files unknowingly.

Certain virus scanner like Mcafee will detect the edit in the registry for the startup and service area and fix it along with the malware, but doesn't fix the "backup" of the virus or the edit to registry in the folder option area.

Last edited:
lol barcodes IIIllllllllllIIIIIIIllllllllIIIIII

Dear XXXX & XXXXXXX,

Advice / assist.

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

We have investigated and found the source of the virus. When Mr XXXX (insert big shot CEO or CFO name) last did a photocopy of his document, the virus was inadvertently transmitted from his non-original copy paper into the machine. We apologize for the inconvenience caused, and have advised Mr XXXX (big shot CEO/CFO) to scan in only original documents.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards.

XXXX