Tech Question: Graphic Card to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Hi all,

i am thinking of linking up my graphic card to the TV. The video card does have a video output. How does one go about connect that it to the TV?

What is required? (Since i might head down to Sitex/SLS and take a look see)

Kindly advise. :)

U might need a TV output converter box.

It's a little box that takes the RGB output of ur video card, convert and then output to TV via s-video/composite/component. Cost of this box should be ard $100+ or less for starters. Should be readily available in Sim Lim Square.

most of this video out graphics card will bundle a cheapo S-video cable to connect to the tv set, provided the tv set does have a s-video input.

depends your tv is how far away from the pc, you may need a longer cable. and cables also have its different quality, but most of them is hard to distinguish the difference...

most tv can only max out 800x600, or 1024 x 768, if over the limit it will only show part of the monitor screen on the tv. btw dun bother trying to get a 29" tv, den use 1024x768 & expect to be able to read the words on the screen now... it will do 2 things, make you blind, or give u a big headache... good for watching movie clips or graphics.

If its the graphic card to the TV and your graphic card has a S-Video output (or composite RCA output) - former is the better one, you just need a S-Video cable available from Best, also you got to check your TV has a S-Video input.

Hope this helps.

:embrass: :dunno: This is bad... i am basically lost in all the technical jargon. :embrass:

Well, let me put it this way, my graphic card has this yellow coloured "hole"
while my TV has the standard "red, white & yellow" video input? It's a Sharp Aqous(sp?).

So what is required again? :dunno:

Kindly advise.

Wolfgang said:
:embrass: :dunno: This is bad... i am basically lost in all the technical jargon. :embrass:

while my TV has the standard "red, white & yellow" video input? It's a Sharp Aqous(sp?).

Kindly advise.

Take a look at the "yellow-coloured" hole in your graphics card. If it's just a single hole in, it's a composite RCA connector, if it has 5-7 little holes, then it should be a s-video connector.

For your Sharp Aquos, the red and white should corresponds to the audio input, left and right. The yellow should be a composite video input.

Your Aquos should come with the composite video cable, u might want to try to connect both "yellows" together.

Then your take the output of your soundcard and connect to the red and white input of ur TV.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
den use a composite cable aka a yellow cable from your graphics card to the tv's yellow input.

Would there be sound then? :dunno: (Since the red/whote cables won't be used?)

Thanks for all the help so far guys. :)

Wolfgang said:
Would there be sound then? :dunno:

Thanks for all the help so far guys. :)
no there won't be any sound. Come to mi Baby hehhee.e.... and I can pass the required wires to you if you wan and show you how to connect.

Wolfgang said:
This is bad... i am basically lost in all the technical jargon. :embrass:

Kindly advise.

Get a video rca cable... this cable will hook your video card to the yellow video input of your TV. Yellow hole on video card to yellow socket on TV.

Then get a headphone jack to rca audio able. This will have a headphone jack one one end and a red and white rca connector on the other. Hook this to your sound card audio out and the red and white rca to the tv.

The TV will receive 800x600 resolution or in some higher end models the 1024x768. Some new video cards allow you to switch between diff sceeen resolution for TV display. :)

Hope that makes sense... ;)

I find that the movie windows on will not display through the TV-out port. i.e. if you play DVD on PowerDVD or Widows Media Player, you will see everything on your TV but the window in which the movie is playing is blank/black.

hwchoy said:
I find that the movie windows on will not display through the TV-out port. i.e. if you play DVD on PowerDVD or Widows Media Player, you will see everything on your TV but the window in which the movie is playing is blank/black.

thats due to either macrovision or something to do with your rendering, i have this problem before, after some tweaks, its ok already.

Use the video s-cable or RCA cable to the TV, then connect your sound card using the red/white cables.

Simple, isn't it? ;) Alternatively you teach me how to take good portraits, I do for you FOC :D

Bluestrike > heheh... thanks thanks. :) See you on the 10th. ;)

hwchoy > hmm.. i am using windows media player to watch anime. Not too sure how it would come out... :(

So first, a yellow head cable from my PC vid card to the TV and a cable with a audio jack on one end and a red/white head on the other right?

:dunno:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
thats due to either macrovision or something to do with your rendering, i have this problem before, after some tweaks, its ok already.

I don't have macrovision. I am under the impression it is due to the way graphics is presented to the videoram as both movies and game play screens will not appear. in fact I cannot even screen capture the movie windows.

what did you tweak to make it work?

Wolfgang said:
Bluestrike > heheh... thanks thanks. :) See you on the 10th. ;)

hwchoy > hmm.. i am using windows media player to watch anime. Not too sure how it would come out... :(

So first, a yellow head cable from my PC vid card to the TV and a cable with a audio jack on one end and a red/white head on the other right?

:dunno:
yeah seeya !

Yes that bascially the setup. Btw, what GFX card you using?

hwchoy said:
I don't have macrovision. I am under the impression it is due to the way graphics is presented to the videoram as both movies and game play screens will not appear. in fact I cannot even screen capture the movie windows.

what did you tweak to make it work?

dunno what i really did, but i play around with the codec settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.