Teban Gardens: The Abandoned

hazmee

May 9, 2004
Sengkang
noorhazmee.com
Part one of my photo series of my ghetto hometown, Teban Gardens.

After living here for more than 33 years, these houses will soon no longer exist. Thanks to Selective En-Bloc Relocation Scheme, or better known as SERS, residents of Teban Gardens get special privileges from the Housing Development Board (HDB) to be relocated to another location and receive brand new houses. Some even get a decent upgrade from say a 3 room to a 4 room flat besides getting cash benefits. Some however like myself are still stuck on nostalgia after staying here for so long. I think I am one of them. So here are some of takes of my old neighbourhood some would call ‘the ghetto’ thanks to its long standing record for vice activities back in the early 80s. All the creases and cracks, the rusty old window grills, that retro looking exterior, will soon be gone in just a blink of an eye.

Teban_Photo_Essay_-Page-1-933x800.jpg

Teban_Photo_Essay_-Page-2-933x800.jpg

Teban_Photo_Essay_-Page-3-933x800.jpg

Teban_Photo_Essay_-Page-4-933x800.jpg

Teban_Photo_Essay_-Page-5-933x800.jpg

Last edited:
Nice color grading. Do share more of yr estate :)

Like the colour treatment

Ah.. another chance to walk down memory lane. Thanks and more please.

Had a friend who lived there and I used to visit often. The estate had a lot of character. (And my friend also claimed that it was quite haunted, but I never saw anything.) Pls share more photos.

I really love the color tone , remind me of my younger year , thanks very much for your sharing.

Tell you a foodie secret.

Go to Teban Gardens Block 39 at Chop Lian Hin coffee shop and eat at the Hau Chu Hai Sien tze char stall. Cheap and good.

Very nice Indian rice cakes idli at the Aisa Restaurant 2 shops away on the same block.

Reactions: hazmee
Tell you a foodie secret.

Go to Teban Gardens Block 39 at Chop Lian Hin coffee shop and eat at the Hau Chu Hai Sien tze char stall. Cheap and good.

Very nice Indian rice cakes idli at the Aisa Restaurant 2 shops away on the same block.

Ok, ok.

Still go to Teban Gardens every week as mother stays there around the mosque (remember it was vandalized and caught fire previously by youngsters). I like the photos. I used to errand buying minced pork belly from a stall in opposite wet market from Blk 2. The wet market has since been renovated a number of times. Another common occurrences are cars parked along the bend turn-in to the car park towards wet market. Most motorist would stop by, car engines still running, run off to buy fruits from 2 stalls directly facing the entrance and leave after, causing blockages and jams. I have seen many heated incidents between motorists who park illegally and block others from leaving the place. (More so, there is a 4-D booth there) who will bother to put parking coupon right?

The new Teban Gardens HDB rebuilt and sprawn on the old ones are now over 45 storeys high. Most of us will not shop around the neighborhood there unless necessary. We will take feeder to Jurong East where all the shopping centers are located. A sense of nostalgia will always beckon Teban Gardens where I was brought up. There is also the Teban Gardens Reservoir providing good jogging and strolling activities. Those who has not been to Teban Gardens, if got chance, go down there for a look. There are still many old reminiscences structures which may be of interests to you.

Reactions: hazmee