Tearing down our history - Tyersall House

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
I just read in today's Strait's Times (9 August, NDP supplement) that Tyersall House is going to be torn down.

I'm very upset with that because I feel that the place is really, really, really beautiful. And it's not just another big house. It's got history behind it. So what's next? Condo? Shopping centre?

Link: It must've been a magnificent place

*sigh*

Any idea when it will be torn down?

Certain things have to be weighed in a long-term outlook...oh gawd not another crap mall or condo...:nono:

This is ridiculous...
Saw that article too. It a pity that this building had to be tear down....100 years of history gone to the drain?

I'm not so sure, but according to the papers, it should be very soon. And knowing how efficient S'pore is, one moment a building is there, the next moment it's not (and vice-versa).

synapseman said:
I'm not so sure, but according to the papers, it should be very soon. And knowing how efficient S'pore is, one moment a building is there, the next moment it's not (and vice-versa).

A petition is in order.What is there to be built at Tyersall Avenue anyway..these punks have no sense of history.All they ever do is focus on those steel and glass BS.

Urban planners these days..wonder what substance they possess within their mentally challenged bodies.:angry:

Please note, this is just an observsation, and does not necessarily reflect my personal feelings...

This has happened before.

Singapore doesn;t have the space to preserve history, regardless of how people feel. Historical preservation, unless it affects a much greater majority, or a great enough number of people both local AND foreign, does not fair well in the greater 'need' and scheme of development.

Shall we try and organise a shoot to cover, perhaps, the house as well as whatever surrounds we are allowed to shoot from dawn to dusk? This would show different feelings, moods and nuances at different timings.

Perhaps we should do it this weekend? Anyone interested?

Well, from my small, personal point of view, preserving our heritage is important because we already have so little of it. Maybe Tyersall House is an extreme example, but while there is a need to constantly redevelop to maintain the edge in this resource- and land-scarce country, there should also be a need to preserve its soul. How many of us are able to re-visit our childhood places? Even though it may not be economically important, these little things would help S'poreans have something to hold on to - a sense of belonging.

I feel a sense of belonging when I get to visit that old barbershop that's still there as it was 20 years ago, not because we have the world's best airport.

But I guess it's all inevitable. At the end of the day, it's all about economics and efficiency.

Hence, the next best thing we could do is take lots of photos. Of anywhere, anyplace. You'd never know what would happen 10 years down the road.

anyone plan to go there to shoot?

I would suggest writing in to ST immediately and making some noise about it.

what is tyersall house? historic significance?

If I still remember correct, a 162 yrs old mosque been tear down for a new hotel/mosque. Those who know bencoolen well should know about it. ;)

This is nothing new, the whole stretch of shophouses along people's park and the now chinatown point were all bulldozed in the name of progress.

I don't agree that we don't have space for keeping important heritage buildings (such as the old national library). If you are into land studies as I do, one realise how much unused and under-optimised land Singapore has.

Well, in the global architecture scene, Singapore is most well known for being very liberal in the act of Tabula Rasa, the controversial act of bulldozing everything to start things with a clean state all in the name of progress.

It has been proven in many countries that time always come back to haunt those decisions. Conservation of old buildings done with a critical and creative mind can yield beautifully restored buildings that serve new needs but improve the architectural fabric of the country. One can only benefit from that. Go to the beautiful cities in Europe and you will know what I mean.

I have been there at night, it's a very nice place very serene. Do be careful though of security and the people who are currently working on site...they can either chase you out or detain you for trespassing. It's private property, not open to public by the way. :bsmilie:

It's a pity buildings with historical value are being torn down mercilessly in Singapore (there are many such buildings in Singapore)...if not...then they will be retrofitted so heavily you don't recognize the place anymore. (Eg Colonial Parade Square barracks at Sentosa, converted to Tourism Academy....the whole place lost it's identity...lack of taste if you ask me) :nono:

Horray!!! Another building hits the dust! With that, more activities for the contruction industry! Damn, who cares about preserving these historical buildings when one is worrying where the next pay packet is coming from? Ha. Next on the list, Suspeme Court, St Andrew Chruch ... !!!

What's new here? Many historical sites has been torn down in the name of progress. History and cultural heritage has taken a back seat all the while. The fact is that you don't have to tear down a historical site just to built a condo or mall. But I guess it all boils down to money...sad but true.

jbma said:
What's new here? Many historical sites has been torn down in the name of progress. History and cultural heritage has taken a back seat all the while. The fact is that you don't have to tear down a historical site just to built a condo or mall. But I guess it all boils down to money...sad but true.

Precisely....it's the $.
Let's wait and see what they gonna build over that piece of land. I hate it when they preach one thing then do another, then claim it's in the name of progress. What bs. :nono:

jbma said:

yep, the old buildings, instead of being torn down, can be integrated nicely into the new development.

moreover in doing so, it ties the new development to the historical context of the place and enhance the aesthetics and $$ value if done properly.

tao said:
yep, the old buildings, instead of being torn down, can be integrated nicely into the new development.

moreover in doing so, it ties the new development to the historical context of the place and enhance the aesthetics and $$ value if done properly.

the thing is ...alot of cases of it "not done properly"....lol. =)

Oh bloody hell, they used my picture but never credited... those losers... oh well...

I really loved Tyersall House. Very majestic and of course nostalgic place. If only they turned it into a place of interest I bet lots of people would visit it. I think its all got to do with politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.