Teachers Sponsoring Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

I heard from some teachers that they have to pay from their own pockets for stationery that they use in their jobs, even the ubiquitous red pens for marking. Teachers have to pay for basically everything - they are asked to decorate the classroom, but have to pay for construction paper, staples, masking tape etc.

Apparently there is no stationery store or pool to draw from.

Transportation costs to destinations (other than the school) are also borne by the teachers themselves - parking charges (for those who drive) are sometimes payable for places which do not have free parking or where parking passes are not allocated. There was even situations where teachers had to incurr hourly coupon charges (for up to 8-10 hours) for attending marking sessions at other schools -those who take public transport are similarly not reimbursed, much less petrol costs.

Other costs are similarly dealt with - basically they pay and pay.

Just wondering whether there are any similar experiences - I think there are a few teachers here or people who know teachers who can share their experiences to corroborate or debunk the above.

It seems that teachers are like sponsors - they subsidise/sponsor/pump funds.

One day, teachers would be asked : "You have to go to USA to give a Powerpoint seminar on latest education methods in Singapore - please pay for your air tickets, hotel room and notebook computer (it must be the latest model so the audience dont have to wait for the slides to load) and Powerpoint software"

Maybe teachers should follow schools and collect the equilvalent of school fees - maybe "teacher's fees" from the students as disbursements and operating costs too. I'm not sure if they were told upfront before signing up that they have to bear these expenses.

err... can claim 1 lah... or from the students lor... i still remember last time monitor have to collect class funds den photocopy & such is paid by the class.

for pens, i think off set by their pay, its cheap lor... imho, their pay already covered that aspect... and they can use either a 30c ones or a cross ones, depends on them...

but y not think of it another way, think for those nurses at polyclinics, den go to home visits, i think those not really reimbursed much, have to take bus, no taxis, den if drive, have to pay own parking... isn't that something we should look into (paiseh, i not updated for 5 years... last time i really walk lor...)

I dont think they are allowed to claim from students - at least not at primary or secondary school level - if this is not true, do let me know.

Can ask if you have to pay for pens or other stationery at where you work?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
err... can claim 1 lah... or from the students lor... i still remember last time monitor have to collect class funds den photocopy & such is paid by the class.

for pens, i think off set by their pay, its cheap lor... imho, their pay already covered that aspect... and they can use either a 30c ones or a cross ones, depends on them...

but y not think of it another way, think for those nurses at polyclinics, den go to home visits, i think those not really reimbursed much, have to take bus, no taxis, den if drive, have to pay own parking... isn't that something we should look into (paiseh, i not updated for 5 years... last time i really walk lor...)

Perhaps u can ask Adam? He shld know.

But Civil Servants are entitled for claims if I'm not wrong. Especially when its work-related.
Dun say until Civil Service so bad. :bsmilie:

Hmm, I don't know about other members of the Civil Service, all I heard was about teachers.

jsbn said:
Perhaps u can ask Adam? He shld know.

But Civil Servants are entitled for claims if I'm not wrong. Especially when its work-related.
Dun say until Civil Service so bad. :bsmilie:

How much is the income (salary) of a teacher?
If the net income (after substracted with the "out of pocket expenses") is still good enough, then I want to be a teacher, and I will happily pay all of those extra stuff out of my own pocket.

Not sure, you'll have to ask the authorites on salary.

Now that you know, you are able to make an informed decision - I'm not sure that teachers were informed that they would have to bear such expenses before they joined.

tsdh said:
If the net income (after substracted with the "out of pocket expenses") is still good enough, then I want to be a teacher, and I will happily pay all of those extra stuff out of my own pocket.

Glad to see you're in - does the principle of having to make payment for stationery or other incidentals used in work related matters apply to you? People have said you're the best person to ask :)

I understand your conflict so if it would help, you can pm me on this ;)

Adam Goi said:

u sound like u r contemplating joining the teaching service vince. isit? :think:

tsdh said:

If it's all about a good 'net' income, then u are missing out the big picture of what education is all about... If everything that an educator does is quantifiable, then this so-called net income will be negligible...

The serious ones in the profession sees teaching as a calling... lot's of giving of oneself... it's cliche to say it, but that's what it is... ;)

Nope, just sharing something I've heard over coffeeshop talk :)

niki said:
u sound like u r contemplating joining the teaching service vince. isit? :think:

oic. aniwae, i agree with what jai wang has said... if teaching boils down to whether u shld get claim some money for those few red pens.. then i'd sae forget abt the job..

alot of what a teacher does is not seen, at least in the public eye. sometimes, u gotta make home visits to parents, spend days overseas with students, attend to some students with 'problems' for hours or even days, eg. police cases, stress leading to them becoming mentally unsound, counselling.. after sch hours, bring students to see doctors when they are sick and the parents refuse to come down to sch to pick them, bring students for this competition that competition and expect them and yourself...to win something.. coz u have to guide them.. and yes, you also muz make sure your CCA attains a gold award or a SYF gold... etcetcetcetc....

well, this aint a complaint.. but my point is this.. who says teaching is about claiming money for those countless red pens teachers gotta use.. its much more than that... like what was mentioned.. its a calling.. :thumbsup:

niki said:
oic. aniwae, i agree with what jai wang has said... if teaching boils down to whether u shld get claim some money for those few red pens.. then i'd sae forget abt the job..

alot of what a teacher does is not seen, at least in the public eye. sometimes, u gotta make home visits to parents, spend days overseas with students, attend to some students with 'problems' for hours or even days, eg. police cases, stress leading to them becoming mentally unsound, counselling.. after sch hours, bring students to see doctors when they are sick and the parents refuse to come down to sch to pick them, bring students for this competition that competition and expect them and yourself...to win something.. coz u have to guide them.. and yes, you also muz make sure your CCA attains a gold award or a SYF gold... etcetcetcetc....

well, this aint a complaint.. but my point is this.. who says teaching is about claiming money for those countless red pens teachers gotta use.. its much more than that... like what was mentioned.. its a calling.. :thumbsup:

wah...u sound like you are doing teaching?

yup. ;) proud of it! ;)

Wat niki said is true. My GF is a teacher. Her office hour is simply 6am - 6pm. And sometime if you are the form teacher of a problem student. You can forget about going back before 10pm. Teachers are like contributing everything to society. No time no freedom for themself. as for stationery. Can claim but when you claim more than other teachers you will be questioned. Fingers will start pointing at you. And in order to claim lesser than others yet need some good quality stuff you better for out more. FYI red pen from school is those $0.40 pentel ball point pen. Rather fork out $2.00 yourself to have the water base pen to have better luxury.

If I understand your position correctly, doctors who work for hospitals to save lives should buy their own scalpels, gowns, MRI machines. Humanitarian aid workers should pay for their own accomodation and airfares. Nurses must buy their own uniforms, band aids, etc. Policemen must pay for their own guns, truncheons, handcuffs. Firemen must buy their own water, fireman's axe and fire engines etc - you get the idea. I think whether or not a profession is a noble profession or otherwise is immaterial for the discussion.

I agree with your points that teachers should be given more recognition, but I don't think they should be sponsoring or subsidising the industry. Next thing they will have to buy their own whiteboards and tables and chairs, overhead projectors, etc.

EDIT: I've just seen that you're in fact in the teaching profession as well - I suppose that each are entitled to their own point of view - if you are happy doing what you're doing - thats good! I do take from your comment an implicit acknowledgement that the same practice happens in your area as well.

niki said:

When my mum was still teaching, kids used to give her red and blue pens on Teacher's Day. ;p

vince123123 said:
I dont think they are allowed to claim from students - at least not at primary or secondary school level - if this is not true, do let me know.

Can ask if you have to pay for pens or other stationery at where you work?

no lah, they dun claim direct from students, they let the students mind their money...

last time was a monitor, and i was suppose to collect class fund for the class, and end up i always pay more... cos some dun pay, den some chao kuan... etc... so this is the part nobody knows... and the teachers will just tell me that they have sent the notes to the 'photocopier' and i have to pay to collect it...

anyway, even primary school, my teachers would photocopy notes, and before hand, tell us to get money from parents to pay the other day... i thought its been like that ever since...

(oh ya... someone else paid for my mont blanc... ;p , the rest is company sponsored...)

i duno why this calls for a discussion... haha..in case u r interested to know..

1. i buy my own red pens.. those ink based ones.. abt $2.
2. whiteboard markers, i get from sch.
3. A4 paper, get from sch
4. plastic sheet holders, get from sch
5. blutack, sometimes i buy, sometimes i get from sch..
6. official document files, get from sch...

there are other things ard that i do not use, so i dun get them.. everything that i get from sch, i gotta sign out for it.. so if u take too much, then it becomes questionable lah.. we work on trust basis..

so..if i buy my own red pens.. i think its a pretty fair deal right? .. besides, i dun use the 40c type.. very 'dry'..

last month, went ikea to spend $100 on decorations for the class.. then in the end, cannot claim because my claim was late.. so.. i take it as my gift to the kids..

dun think u can compare with a policeman buying a pistol or doctor buying whatever equipment... its juz.... a red pen..

well, if other teachers elsewhere are not getting a fair deal, then i wld feel sorry for them lah.. budden again.. not all will mind i guess.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.