Teach me... shooting at clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltake

Oct 10, 2006
Up North......
My company having a farewell party for my MD at ONE NIGHT STAND next week, will be bringing my camera down to do a few shots......... never shoot one before.

Can anyone advise me:
- whats should the setting be on for this kind of shoot?
- need to remove my filter?
- what to look out for or avoid(eg: glaring of spotlight)?
- what type of lens is most suitable for this kind of shoot?
- need to use a tripod?

of course I will be bringing my flash down, any other things to note. Appreciate all the comments and advice............ I am still a newbie...... cheers!

hi there,

bump up ur iso to 800 or more, rear sync flash and since u have 18-200mm vr then shutter speed can be 1/10. From there u really fully utilised ur 18-200mm but also remember to hold ur breath cause VR ain't magic.;) Flash output wise u can try out urself when u r in the club. dun bother to bounce ur flash cause frm my understanding tt all club have black ceiling and there is no way to focus with ur eye so auto focus all the way. Have fun. :cool:

sorry slightly off topic, but wouldn't an ultra compact be less instrusive and less geeky in such functions? I'm assuming you are one of the participants of the party, and not appointed as the camera man. cheers

sorry slightly off topic, but wouldn't an ultra compact be less instrusive and less geeky in such functions? I'm assuming you are one of the participants of the party, and not appointed as the camera man. cheers

No other official photographers loh..... coy stingy leh. Just shooting for fun and hope to practise abit loh. Your ultra mean a 12-24mm?? Wide angle lens? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

I only have the lens listed below (with the D70 kit lens omitted), so the 18-200mm should be the most appropriate....... would a 28-70mm f2.8 be more appropriate to shoot in that environment, which would be quite similar to a wedding??? :dunno:

either set the custom white balance properly (if same light source) or shoot RAW+JPG format, easier to edit later on.

Go a bit earlier and get your WB and flash settings right. You probably will not have time when the party starts.

hi there,

bump up ur iso to 800 or more, rear sync flash and since u have 18-200mm vr then shutter speed can be 1/10. From there u really fully utilised ur 18-200mm but also remember to hold ur breath cause VR ain't magic.;) Flash output wise u can try out urself when u r in the club. dun bother to bounce ur flash cause frm my understanding tt all club have black ceiling and there is no way to focus with ur eye so auto focus all the way. Have fun. :cool:

May I know what is rear sync flash??

My company having a farewell party for my MD at ONE NIGHT STAND next week, will be bringing my camera down to do a few shots......... never shoot one before.

Can anyone advise me:
- whats should the setting be on for this kind of shoot?
- need to remove my filter?
- what to look out for or avoid(eg: glaring of spotlight)?
- what type of lens is most suitable for this kind of shoot?
- need to use a tripod?

of course I will be bringing my flash down, any other things to note. Appreciate all the comments and advice............ I am still a newbie...... cheers!

- i've not tried VR lens before but usually a 1/40-1/60 is good with wide aperture
- there's no need to remove filter unless there's alot of ghosting.
- things to avoid are people around you! use the lightings to create something creative
- depends but wide is good. 18-70, 18-200 no prob!
- u wont have chance to use unless there's grp photo and u want to be inside.

wide angle and creating some motion blur with flash express some action will also be nice~

No other official photographers loh..... coy stingy leh. Just shooting for fun and hope to practise abit loh. Your ultra mean a 12-24mm?? Wide angle lens? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

I only have the lens listed below (with the D70 kit lens omitted), so the 18-200mm should be the most appropriate....... would a 28-70mm f2.8 be more appropriate to shoot in that environment, which would be quite similar to a wedding??? :dunno:

his ultra meant ultra compact cameras. 18-70 or 18-200 is good enough. 28-70 i think would be not proper as you tend to get close to them to do ultra wide due to space constrain. u can use spot lights as backlights and all.

May I know what is rear sync flash??

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/flash.htm
Try the rear sync mode, too. If the exposures get long in SLOW mode the normal action is for the flash to go off at the beginning of the exposure. When this happens your subjects think the picture is done, when in fact it is just starting. REAR mode saves the flash for the end of a long exposure, so people tend to stay still for the duration of your photo.

sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant an ultra-compact camera instead of a huge bodied camera. From the venue chosen, I have a feeling it was going to be a fun party that isn't formal, so usually ultra-compact cameras will give you more chances to do candids and fun-looking snapshots.

anyway if you are inclined towards using your D70, bring a fast lens (aperture wise) with moderate wide-angle, and more importantly, bring a flash unit (alredy carrying large camera, so large flash wont make much difference anymore).

Status
Not open for further replies.