Tea Time

Raied

Jun 13, 2007
Clementi
www.krasnajaphoto.com
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

IMG_7006_Small.jpg

1. Lighting, composition, product placement, background. Does this picture make you hunger for the cake?

2. Product (food shot). Show appeal of the cake and presentation of dish as a whole.

3. This was part of my first food shoot, my friend called me to take some snaps of food items on the menu of his restaurant. It was my first time shooting food and with very little studio and food experience I was quite nervous and slightly lost, but had guidance and help. Did some research into food photos and tried to emulate abit but I need more tips for improvement, I have other dishes but chose to pick this one cause I would be back there to shoot their dessert menu again soon. I used two flashes, one behind an umbrella and another bounced off a silver 'screen'

4. I think its an OK shot. Nothing spectacular. The cup behind should've been filled, later shots had it filled with tea, but I like the composition and angle of this shot the best.

Personally I would have preferred a wider composition for this particular scene. I also find that the cup in the background is placed too close to the top edge, with that tinny dark line left. I thought a slight boost in contrast may help this picture as well. I also do not like the black patch of background. If the background is all the wooden table, it will be much more pleasant to look at.

Frankly, the photo didn't managed to improve my appetite. While it's obvious the food is the subject, I don't really feel that it's the only thing I wanted in the image. I do find the background distracting, especially the wooden texture. The amount of light falling on the food isn't bring out the word delicious. The pattern on the plate is a distraction.

There is a lack of dimension on the food. The lighting is kinda flat. Would you like to retry with less background distraction and focus on the food more ? Give the food a stronger lightning and make the plate brighter. Maybe it's just me, but I do find the exposure a tad dim.

It lacked in vibrance.