TCSS Story : Diploma vs Foreign Degree, and the current cost of living

Think bedok bar chor mee earns better. pity the soup dunno how to make.

My friend working as a property agent and maid agency bought a 3-storey house with 2 cars
near Tampines area.

A bit long winded story. Wealth is fated. Indulgent spending habits (buy buy buy virus) will reduce one's assets. Actually the youngsters today are comparatively comfortable. They did not have to suffer natural disasters or wars. The boat people escaping from Vietnam or the Cambodians who experienced the Killing Fields had it much worse.

Last edited:
it is a different world if you got a 1st Class Honours. they willing to pay top dollars, and super fast-paced career path. these are ppl they tasked to take over the leadership when the early 50's manager goes into retirement. every year they get promotion and increment in step of 500$. now 1st class honours starting salary is $3900 already

Haven't you heard? Only the inner circles get to do that... especially in our government sector. Even scholarships are mostly awarded to family members of the privileged elite. Some scholarships are even offered to children of the leadership in the awarding body... talk about conflict of interests.

A teenager once blogged "Get out of my elite uncaring face". When she (+ others from elite families) grow up and become CEO/MP, is Singapore a better place?

Last edited:
Honestly, I think it all boils down to the choices a person make.
- Why did he choose to go to a OZ uni and not local or distance learning?
- Why did he take up the job at your company and not wait out the recession?
- Why did he not job hop later on?
- Why did he buy a 4 room flat and not 3 room? ( If he really think its expensive?
Etc etc....

Well, the answer is that all of us have our own priorities when making life choices. Security vs risk-taking, tolerance vs convenience, action vs procrastination etc etc.

, is Singapore a better place?

Singapore will be a better place when:
1. Cameras here cheaper than Hong Kong
2. COE is fixed at $100
3. Housing is more affodable
4. MRT not jammed packed or breakdown so often
5. Wages increase faster than inflation and low wage workers can survive on a minimum wage
6. Maids and workers don't die while working
7. Minimize the use of vice activities to stimulate economy
8. Poor old people don't have to survive from collecting cardboard and cans
9. More space to breathe and relax and keep the dead buried
10. MRT station under my flat.

Singapore will be a better place when:
2. COE is fixed at $100

If everyone gets to buy affordable cars I think driving would be a very paralyzing affair.

My friend working as a property agent and maid agency bought a 3-storey house with 2 cars
near Tampines area.

there are so many idiots joining property agent. It's not as easy as one may think. Out of a thousand PA, maybe only a handful can earn big.

Anyway, sengkang BTO 4 room cost around 200k-300k only. It's not we don't have affordable flats. It's because Singaporean are choosy when it comes to jobs and housing options.

Last edited: