TC 17E compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2Hpeter

Dec 20, 2003
Visit site
intend to get a TC-17E but don't know if it is compatible with the AF 80-200 f/2.8 ED and AF micro 60 f/2.8 lenses that i hv, and to be used with my D70.
If not, what TC could i use for these lenses?

The TC-17E II can only be used on AF-S telephoto lenses such as the 70-200 f/2.8G VR, 200 f/2G VR and 300 f/2.8D.

Hope that helps.

Carllim said:
The TC-17E II can only be used on AF-S telephoto lenses such as the 70-200 f/2.8G VR, 200 f/2G VR and 300 f/2.8D.

Hope that helps.

according to nikon singapore, the new TC-17E II can be used with the AF 80-200 f/2.8 :dunno:

D2Hpeter said:
according to nikon singapore, the new TC-17E II can be used with the AF 80-200 f/2.8 :dunno:

Just checking, are you sure they did not mean the AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 ? It'd be good news if it worked with the AF 80-200 f/2.8 (without any modification).

gooseberry said:
Just checking, are you sure they did not mean the AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 ? It'd be good news if it worked with the AF 80-200 f/2.8 (without any modification).

i am actually double-checking with them thru the phone...still waiting for reply.

They had earlier replied me thru email writing as " You should wait for the TC-E17II 1.7x converter which is a new product. It will work with the AF 80-200 f2.8 but not with the AF Micro 60mm." :sweat:

D2Hpeter said:
i am actually double-checking with them thru the phone...still waiting for reply.

They had earlier replied me thru email writing as " You should wait for the TC-E17II 1.7x converter which is a new product. It will work with the AF 80-200 f2.8 but not with the AF Micro 60mm." :sweat:

I think they meant the AF-S version.

Recommended by someone.. try Kenko Pro 300 Teleplus 1.4X or 2X

Based on nikon lens catalogue chart, TC14E & TC20E will not work with both lens. So I doubt the new TC17E will since it is almost basing on these TC design. From the graphical representation, the lens rear element may obstruct the TC extended lens element.

Kenko is the solution and will provides AF for 5.6 and larger aperture (I think).

Someone over on the Nikonians forum who owns the TC-17E has reported that it does NOT work with non-AFS lens, ie the press release is wrong. This is not to surprising given that its predecessors both do not work with non-AFS lens (there's a protruding metal tab on the mount which prevents mating with non-AFS lenses. You can file it off though, allowing you to couple non-AFS Nikkors with the convertor, but you will loss AF).

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=4624&forum=DCForumID6

To get convertors for non-AFS Nikkors, the best option are the Kenko Pro300 Teleplus convertors. These work with both AFS and non-AFS Nikkors, and quality is reputed to be excellent, just a hair shy of the TC-14/20Es. Make sure you get the Pro300 series, as Kenko also makes a budget line of teleconvertors (MC-7), whose quality is not as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.