Taxi using currency act to reject payment

icceman

May 25, 2006
Saw this notice on a PRIME taxi yesterday...is this legal?

0_jpg19_zps0be333f1.jpg

Yes, according to what I read.

The driver must be an ex-lawyer out of job, or Law student drop out, or law professor kena criminal case and stripped off his/her license? ;p

Last edited:
Yes, according to what I read.

The driver must be an ex-lawyer out of job, or Law student drop out, or law professor kena criminal case and stripped off his/her license? ;p

i think it all started with some cafe which used the same law to reject 5 cents. read it on stomp.

Interesting... Inspired by this incident perhaps: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...nt-coins-citing-mas-currency-act-4616977.html

Wonder if the agreement between Prime (or any other taxi operators) and its drivers gives them the freedom to adopt their own individual billing practices and preferences, even if this in itself is legal under the currency act. Are they employees or independent business owners (sole proprietors)? If this practice becomes more widespread, can only make the already confusing fares even more confusing for customers.

Last edited:
Saw this notice on a PRIME taxi yesterday...is this legal?
It's legal to put up such notice.
It would have been better to phrase nicely and polite instead of putting up a pamphlet of this kind.

Wonder if the agreement between Prime (or any other taxi operators) and its drivers gives them the freedom to adopt their own individual billing practices, even if this is legal under the currency act. If this practice becomes more widespread, can only make the already confusing fares even more confusing for customers.
It's not a specific billing practice. It's just unusual that suddenly this section of the Currency Act suddenly pops into the attention of people. I guess some joker has overstretched the patience of somebody else and the predictable knee-jerk reaction is the scream about whether it is legal - instead of using common sense and politeness.

Interesting... Inspired by this incident perhaps: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...nt-coins-citing-mas-currency-act-4616977.html

Wonder if the agreement between Prime (or any other taxi operators) and its drivers gives them the freedom to adopt their own individual billing practices and preferences, even if this in itself is legal under the currency act. Are they employees or independent business owners (sole proprietors)? If this practice becomes more widespread, can only make the already confusing fares even more confusing for customers.
Haa...imagine every taxi has it's own payment preference. You'll need to read the notice and check your wallet for the correct cash denomination first before boarding it :D

Does that placard constitute "written notice"?

I suppose so.

There is a provision in the Currency Act (Section 13) which allow shopkeepers, through a written notice, to specify the denominations of notes or coins that they will not accept as payment for their goods or services. If a shopkeeper does not give written notice to his customers, the shopkeeper must accept the notes and coins as payment. The customer would be deemed to have made payment, even if the shopkeeper does not accept it.

This provision is to clarify the intent and purpose of the law. The payment for goods and services is essentially a contractual agreement between a buyer and a seller. Before entering into a transaction, both the seller and the buyer can specify how the payment is to be made and both must agree to it. Through a written notice, a seller would be informing potential buyers of how he would like to be paid. If a buyer wishes to go ahead with the transaction, he would have to accept the seller’s conditions in his written notice.

http://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/learn-about-currency/know-your-money.aspx

Though I must say, I would probably ask the taxi driver what would happen:
(i) if I expected the fare to be $30, so having a $50 note in my pocket would do;
(ii)taxi driver was too efficient and the fare was $15;

What course of action would he then adopt? :) Unlike the kopitiam case, I won't have known the value of my debt to the payee in this case until the services have been rendered.

Last edited:
What course of action would he then adopt? :) Unlike the kopitiam case, I won't have known the value of my debt to the payee in this case until the services have been rendered.

I think if approached in friendly manner, the cab driver can be flexible. Most isn't an arse h0le until provoked or has his/her ego bruised.

I think if approached in friendly manner, the cab driver can be flexible. Most isn't an arse h0le until provoked or has his/her ego bruised.

Maybe tomorrow we will find ourselves in cabs that state that they prefer to be paid only in $1,000 notes. :bsmilie:

It's not a specific billing practice.

Why isn't it? Not unlike shops that say "No CC, Nets/Cash only", it's just a step further. Maybe "preferred payment practice" be a more accurate phrase to use?

Stating "I would not accept as payment... the following denominations of currency and coins..." is an example of someone who is stating their preferred payment practice to their customers.

What is unusual to me is not that 'this section of the Currency Act suddenly pops into the attention of people', but more because that there's a cabby who has used this section to spell out the denominations he will or will not accept as payment. So it's not unusual that people then want take a closer look at this section to see whether it's really applicable, or being applied mistakenly.

I think we are all aware that cabbies have good practical reasons (if we were cabbies, we probably would too) to prefer certain types of denominations depending on the size of the transaction – needing to have sufficient loose change and yet not be caught carrying too much cash, waste too much time counting coins, etc. Yeah, I agree with you, if both parties would just exercise common sense and understanding, we'd have no need for this.

Maybe can pay by paypal :bsmilie:

Unlike the kopitiam case, I won't have known the value of my debt to the payee in this case until the services have been rendered.

excellent point.

It doesn't say can't pay with this? :)

image.JPG

YOu exceeded my expectation. I was hoping to see this:
hellmoney10,000.gif

Maybe tomorrow we will find ourselves in cabs that state that they prefer to be paid only in $1,000 notes. :bsmilie:

No, the denomination is too small... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Oh, ok. One shd never underestimate the power of stomp. :bsmilie:

Stomp
OR
"what humiliating antics are total strangers doing for my amusement"