Taxi on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper ShutterBug

Dec 3, 2004
Bishan
Today saw another taxi accident. I think their vehicles are over powered. 2.5 - 3.0 L engine are too powerful an engine for taxi. Why so much power? Think 1.6L is more than sufficient even with full luggage and full passengers.

we had seen past taxis with much lower power. it is like some proton saga we see on our roads now. comfort level not much to be desired. noiser too. suspension poorer too.

Enigne power is not the only factor to comfort and noise level.....
It not tat overpower taxi is the main problem, I personally find it's the driver :(

a friend once said, "out of 10 accidents, 9 will involve taxis"

it's true to an extent that they are everywhere. and also, some are pretty reckless. they make 3-point turns at their own will. they cut into lanes. they think they owned the road. these drivers are a bunch of crap.

i'm not against taxi drivers in general... just the lousy ones.

Its both lousy driver plus overpowered engine equals road accidents everyday. I dont see small cars have equal number of accidents as big capacity vehicles.
Enigne power is not the only factor to comfort and noise level.....
It not tat overpower taxi is the main problem, I personally find it's the driver :(

a friend once said, "out of 10 accidents, 9 will involve taxis"

it's true to an extent that they are everywhere. and also, some are pretty reckless. they make 3-point turns at their own will. they cut into lanes. they think they owned the road. these drivers are a bunch of crap.

i'm not against taxi drivers in general... just the lousy ones.

BMW, benz and MPV too. As if signalling will crippled their fingers.

Its about complacency you know... When we are in one place too long of a time, we will feel over confident about what we do and will soon forgot to practice safety. And then maybe you can really blame on the way Taxi Companies push the drivers to compete against time to pay up the $120 per day of taxi rent...

It is not engine power. More like brain power (or lack of it) that is the main cause of accidents.

Smaller engine means they can overtake as fast and stop abruptly. They also cant pick up as fast and do all those funny things that cause road accidents like beat redlight thinking their taxis is F1.
Care to prove the correlation between engine power and accident rate?

actually hor, one of the reason for only big car is allowed to be a taxi is becos taxi
running around 20 hrs a day and need to carry from mouse to elephant weight alike
passenger. so, if is not big CC, more traffic jam would happen everyday on the road by taxi. :(

http://taxiuncle.com ;)

There is no compromise or excuse when it comes to safety.
actually hor, one of the reason for only big car is allowed to be a taxi is becos taxi
running around 20 hrs a day and need to carry from mouse to elephant weight alike
passenger. so, if is not big CC, more traffic jam would happen everyday on the road by taxi. :(

http://taxiuncle.com ;)

it's not just taxi driver...it's drivers in general...seriously. Today, within 10 seconds time i saw 2 accidents while waiting for a cab. The two accidents, one was taxi driver fault, the other was some stupid kid's fault with an attitude. the kid was following a taxi and tried to pass the taxi on the left. just as the kid went in the left lane, the taxi went in the left lane. the kid got pissed off, sped up and passed the taxi on the right side. as soon as he passed the taxi on the right side he quickly turned into the taxi's lane right in front of the uncle and misjudged it and clipped the taxi's front end. the unle brake hard, skid, and i watched the peple in the taxi all get rocked.

as soon as that was done, i turned my head to look for a cab and i saw a cab try to cut in front of aother car from the middle lane (3 lane road) to make a right turn...needless to say he didn't make it. kaboom again, he smashed into the cars front left side.

and to top it off, hanging from every lampost is a banner saying how jaywalking kills. i had to laugh because after what i saw, nevermind about how jaywalking kills, it's bad driving that kills. so when i finally did get my cab i told him what had happened and he said drivers are impatient. i told him i think it's beyond just driving. i told him i think people in general are impatient and the most obvious example is the mrt. it seems like a life's mission to simply be courteous for 5-8 seconds to let people out before entering...why?

anyways, bigger more powerful engines are not the cause accidents TS...i tend to think it simply is an attitude and reflection of how things are. to me it seems like people drive and move around the roadways the same way they enter and exit the mrts...without much courtesy.
...just my opinion, anyways, have a good day :)

Today saw another taxi accident. I think their vehicles are over powered. 2.5 - 3.0 L engine are too powerful an engine for taxi. Why so much power? Think 1.6L is more than sufficient even with full luggage and full passengers.

Taxis run on diesel engines, where else you are probably referring to petrol/gasoline cars when you mention 1.6L.

BMW, benz and MPV too. As if signalling will crippled their fingers.
Car big, pay more road tax so they become 'king of the road' mah. ;)

Maybe they shld come up with a sentence. For accidents involving the driver that did not signal and causing accidents, their pinky, ring, middle, index and thumbs would be amputated. One finger per accident.

Good idea no? :think:

at times when some of the people talk abt taxi drivers, they forget that some other people's dads' and sometimes moms' are taxi drivers too. And some of these people make really irresposible statements that may offend some people who knows the hardship a taxi driver has to go through to provide a basic meal for his family.

In my opinion, taxis drivers should show good examples on the road since they are on the road most of the time. Then SG traffic will be more safer and less accidents.

No use blaming all the taxi drivers for all the accidents caused. Safety is everybody's responsibility. An accident is usually not just because of 1 factor, but a chain of events that leads to the accident. I have seen many other private cars, buses, lorries, motorcyclists and even pedestrain that are equally dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.