Tax on lenses from USA

koh02

Feb 12, 2008
CCK
Hello people,

i was just wondering if i had to pay any sort of tax in singapore if i bought some lenses from Adorama from the US?

Cheers:)

AFAIK, the usual GST applies for purchases above S$400 (including freight costs).

AFAIK, the usual GST applies for purchases above S$400 (including freight costs).

Even if it was shipped to me as a gift by a relative?

Then it depends on whether the customs believe that it is a gift or not....

Even a gift will have a "value for customs" requirement. If customs x-rays it and recocnizes a lens, they may have it valued before releasing to you after charging GST.

As long as the declared value is above $300, you have to pay GST of 7%, plus a $10 processing charge

Even if you take out the boxes, if customs judge the items to be worth more than the claimed amount, they can still check up on the item.

Then it depends on whether the customs believe that it is a gift or not....
If that worked ... it would appear as if the world has become very very generous, sending all kinds of goods to Singapore declared as gifts ...:bsmilie:

The rule is applied across for board for all kinds of goods, not just lenses. I've bought model kits, car parts, from USA, and Hong Kong, and as long as the declared amount + shipping is more than S$400 in a single parcel/package, GST has to be paid.

Of course, you can get the sender to "under-declare" the value of the goods. Not advisable if you intend to buy insurance for the shipping, as any payout *touchwood* will be based on the under-declared value.

I've not bought/received gifts above S$400, so can't comment whether will it be taxed or not.

A friend of mine got several special accessories for his Harley, directly from German manufacturer. Price was always stated properly, excluding German taxes. (Saving 19% VAT does make a difference!) No GST was claimed, he got the stuff nicely delivered to his hands. Seems there are differences in the way certain goods are handled.

Even if it was shipped to me as a gift by a relative?

I can't comment on Singapore customs authority, but FYI, Adorama does not ever ship items marked as gifts. If you wanted to go this route you'd need to have it shipped to a friend or relative in the US and ask them to forward it on to you.

NB if you ship within NY or NJ, you'd be liable for US state taxes.

As long as item above 400> you need to pay GST, PERIOD.
@Octarine, maybe your friend got items <400$? If above 400$> and freight company didn't charge him then they have to pay from their own pocket.
For TS, i received my lens on Saturday (B&H) value > 400$ and paid GST to UPS delivery man.

@Octarine, maybe your friend got items <400$? If above 400$> and freight company didn't charge him then they have to pay from their own pocket.
Items were far above SGD 400, no GST payment was requested.

He would be lucky man.
I have an idea how it worked. But ... not sure.. who wants to volunteer for an additional test? :) It only costs 400+, potentially 7% savings :lovegrin: