Taping the flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whattokingu

Jul 29, 2009
Does you guys tape your flash(external or built-in) with masking tape, etc, to get softer light?
If so, what sort of tape?
I just bought a DSLR from a fellow forumer and is about to do some indoor photography. But no money to get hotshoe flash yet, so can tape built-in flash?

I don't see how it can get you softer light, other than wasting flash power..

I thought the tape would diffuse the light? It doesn't?

Bounce the flash with the wall or the ceiling if using ext. flash, not tape up the flash :nono:

Oh well, the implied answer is no then. Thanks alot for the quick response. I will think of some DIY. :)

There are many ways to Soften the built-in flash.
So far, I only use the diffuser as follow :-
1) a $10 pop-up flash difuser,
2) a DIY white film canistor,
3) a white paper &
4) a white tissue paper.

All the above works for me for different type of situations.
I have never try masking tape before, but I don't think it work due to it is colour.

yes it would diffuse to an extent, but the premise of getting softer light is a bigger apparent light source.. thats why bouncing flash off a ceiling gives soft light, cos the ceiling is effectively a giant lightsource above your subject.. taping doesn't make the light any much bigger..

Have you seen and try to remove masking tape being left on surface for too long?

If you stick masking tape on the flash front panel to act as diffuser, the adhesive of the masking tape will melt under heat, than it will stick to the plastic panel once it cool down, you will have trouble removing the masking tape, even you can remove the tape, the adhesive glue will still be there, and you can't clean away will zippo oil, cos it already melt down. so that's it, you will spend more money to replace the plastic panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.