Tangshooters - Sinful Melvados - Food Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pai seh..been very busy lately....2 pics to share.......C&C are welcome.

1. Chicken Wing
2924570730_d112e473db.jpg

OOU! I hope you don't mind I share my first-impressions ... the TONE is very nice! Drew my attention immediately, but the reflection at the top right of the frame and the very distinct spectral highlights just below the reflections also called for a lot of attention. There's also one, bright orange dot at the bottom of the dish. Perhaps you could PP them out?

The way the wings are prepared left a lot of uneven surfaces sticking out, especially at the 'knuckle' area. Also, there appear to be areas of different browning or lighting.

The frizzy lettuce (purple one) is neither here nor there, and because it's OOF, it looks like a dark mush. Perhaps you could consider showing a bit more, or removing it altogether, or tuck it under the wings.

The other thing I would be careful about is the framing or cropping, especially at the left side. Right now it's just cutting the sides of the wings. either give it more space or shoot a lot closer.

Between the 1st ans 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd wing - there are very distinct 'black-hole' shadows as well as on the right-side of the wings. Sometimes you want darker areas to create depth, and sometimes it is detrimental to the shot. You have to chimp real close and determine on the spot which is better.

The extreme tips of all the wings have disappeared. Not sure if it was cut that way, or they are hiding in shadows.

The 1st and 3rd wings have black spots, and the 2nd wing has a long, 'tooth-like' sliver sticking out. These have to be taken care of if you want a really presentable shot. But on the whole, the way the wings were cut off from the carcass was messy, so it's understandable that it's very difficult to work with.

2. Yogurt
2924571210_11d2c6d51f.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Shooting Ice Cream or Frozen Desserts, this one no choice if you're using natural materials - you generally need a LOT of stand-bys, deep frozen over-night, and work very quickly - generally, photographers shooting real frozen desserts have the first few seconds before the surface of the dessert melts. a LOT of takes is expected.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
OOU! I hope you don't mind I share my first-impressions ... the TONE is very nice! Drew my attention immediately, but the reflection at the top right of the frame and the very distinct spectral highlights just below the reflections also called for a lot of attention. There's also one, bright orange dot at the bottom of the dish. Perhaps you could PP them out?

The way the wings are prepared left a lot of uneven surfaces sticking out, especially at the 'knuckle' area. Also, there appear to be areas of different browning or lighting.

The frizzy lettuce (purple one) is neither here nor there, and because it's OOF, it looks like a dark mush. Perhaps you could consider showing a bit more, or removing it altogether, or tuck it under the wings.

The other thing I would be careful about is the framing or cropping, especially at the left side. Right now it's just cutting the sides of the wings. either give it more space or shoot a lot closer.

Between the 1st ans 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd wing - there are very distinct 'black-hole' shadows as well as on the right-side of the wings. Sometimes you want darker areas to create depth, and sometimes it is detrimental to the shot. You have to chimp real close and determine on the spot which is better.

The extreme tips of all the wings have disappeared. Not sure if it was cut that way, or they are hiding in shadows.

The 1st and 3rd wings have black spots, and the 2nd wing has a long, 'tooth-like' sliver sticking out. These have to be taken care of if you want a really presentable shot. But on the whole, the way the wings were cut off from the carcass was messy, so it's understandable that it's very difficult to work with.

2. Yogurt
Shooting Ice Cream or Frozen Desserts, this one no choice if you're using natural materials - you generally need a LOT of stand-bys, deep frozen over-night, and work very quickly - generally, photographers shooting real frozen desserts have the first few seconds before the surface of the dessert melts. a LOT of takes is expected.

Hope this helps some.

Yes! thank you DM for clear and meaningful comments.

Chicken Wing
I felt the bright area at top right frame is distracting as well. But i do not know how to ppl away:embrass:
I will take note on the framing next time to give a little more space.
The tips of the wings are all hidden in the shadow.

Yogurt
Ya, can see the "water" in the glass le.

Last edited:
Here, I did a quick touch-up.

It's not beri goot I'm afraid, because i don't have the original files to work with, and also, there are alot of things that are better to correct before shooting rather than try to alter later in post.

I've included your original, so you can see the difference. I don't really like the tone of the 'knuckle' and some other areas, but it's already burnt, so mine is only a (poor) attempt at a cosmetic job of something that's already destroyed (the burnt coating).

I'm sorry, but my post skills are not good enough to rescue the shrunken skin and pockets at some parts of the main wing.

Since there's a lot of empty space at the top, I added some text as if it's a poster layout. :sweatsm:

Hope this helps some, and please pardon my luak-ya post skills.

390492583_B7Ntp-L.jpg
390497392_waGVp-L.jpg

I am not involve with the food photography but the discussion is valuable critiqs. Thanks for the insights knowledge on food photography.

one of the food author mentioned in his photo book..

it is bad karma to eat photo food...

i went...:p :sweat: :cry:

one of the food author mentioned in his photo book..

it is bad karma to eat photo food...

i went...:p :sweat: :cry:

That's because food prepared for shooting is sometimes false (aka, substitutes like using motor oil), almost uncooked, greatly modified, very often treated and very man-handled. It can sometimes be ... well, not beri safe to eat. :bsmilie:

Thanks DM for the detailed critiques and selfless sharing. Very invaluable indeed! :thumbsup::heart::kiss:

Tang Shooters are most welcome N.

It's always a pleasure to work with eager and willing photographers (and also some of the most hard-working I've seen!), and even though I'm certainly not the best around (I'm only avarage), food is one of my favorite subjects - you can tell right ... looking at my tummy? :bsmilie:

i looking forward to DM workshop :lovegrin:

I left earlier and my face is not inside. HR manager pls include me in the attendance. :embrass:
Sorry Nick, this group pic is from the 1st sexsion.

Here, I did a quick touch-up.

It's not beri goot I'm afraid, because i don't have the original files to work with, and also, there are alot of things that are better to correct before shooting rather than try to alter later in post.

I've included your original, so you can see the difference. I don't really like the tone of the 'knuckle' and some other areas, but it's already burnt, so mine is only a (poor) attempt at a cosmetic job of something that's already destroyed (the burnt coating).

I'm sorry, but my post skills are not good enough to rescue the shrunken skin and pockets at some parts of the main wing.

Since there's a lot of empty space at the top, I added some text as if it's a poster layout. :sweatsm:

Hope this helps some, and please pardon my luak-ya post skills.

390492583_B7Ntp-L.jpg
390497392_waGVp-L.jpg

:cry: So touched......thank you very much DM. If u lau-ya then i worst liao :sweatsm:

Sorry Nick, this group pic is from the 1st sexsion.

Oh, ok. 2nd sexsion also dun have my face, cos I left early. Not sure if thr's a group photo or not though. :embrass:

It's always a pleasure to work with eager and willing photographers (and also some of the most hard-working I've seen!), and even though I'm certainly not the best around (I'm only avarage), food is one of my favorite subjects - you can tell right ... looking at my tummy? :bsmilie:

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to you cooking for me. And your food photography workshop. ;p :heart:

i think i'm one aspiring food photographer then, my tummy is getting big too! :bsmilie:

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to you cooking for me. And your food photography workshop. ;p :heart:

everyone is looking forward to it :D

I've got a lot of things on my plate right now, but I think I MAY be able to squeeze a simple session* in on the 18th or 19th of Oct. After that, I have no idea what my schedules will be like.

Does anyone have a nice place that we could use to hold this small workshop? I'll need a workable kitchen and lots of counter space.

As for the shooting area, it would be great if we can do something near a window ... and if the kitchen is long, we'll have more depth to work with (for OOF backgrounds, environmental/'mood' shots etc). Let me know what you can come up with. I'd rather not rent a place as that would increase costs.

* It would be really good to start from the basics and that would include some theory work.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of things on my plate right now, but I think I MAY be able to squeeze a simple session* in on the 18th or 19th of Oct. After that, I have no idea what my schedules will be like.

Does anyone have a nice place that we could use to hold this small workshop? I'll need a workable kitchen and lots of counter space.

As for the shooting area, it would be great if we can do something near a window ... and if the kitchen is long, we'll have more depth to work with (for OOF backgrounds, environmental/'mood' shots etc). Let me know what you can come up with. I'd rather not rent a place as that would increase costs.

* It would be really good to start from the basics and that would include some theory work.

oh man! can it not be on that weekend pls? :cry: i have so much going on during that weekend alr.

n i think some of the guys are going canon photomarathon. some others r going for the malacca trip IIRC.

unless thr's season 2? :devil:

oh man! can it not be on that weekend pls? :cry: i have so much going on during that weekend alr.

n i think some of the guys are going canon photomarathon. some others r going for the malacca trip IIRC.

unless thr's season 2? :devil:

Oh yah ... 4got ab the Parathon. :embrass:

Will have to be another weekend then. Perhaps you all could tell me when, and I'll check on my side.

Oh yah ... 4got ab the Parathon. :embrass:

Will have to be another weekend then. Perhaps you all could tell me when, and I'll check on my side.

DM, think we keep this thread for posting and critique of the shots at Melvados. The workshop stuff we keep to TCSS? :)

DM, think we keep this thread for posting and critique of the shots at Melvados. The workshop stuff we keep to TCSS? :)

Yeah ... sounds like a good idea. PM me when you guys have a range of dates and a place to suggest. ;)

CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.