Tamron's 50th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermsDayOut

Aug 19, 2003
www.instagram.com
The Tamron's 50th Anniversary 24-135mm lens has been widely rumoured to be a great walkabout lens with its versatility and acceptable aperature of f3.5 on the wide end of the lens.

However, I've found that I got vignetting problems on the 24mm to 28mm range of the lens. And these problems are not vignetting effects from the lens hood. I'nm just wondering if anyone who's ever used this lens has experienced the same problem as me or that there is really something wrong with my lens?

It cannot be acceptable for Tamron to "hang lamb's head and sell dog's meat" right? It leaves me with an effective 35mm - 135mm instead.

Here's a sample image to show what I mean when I shoot at the widest - 24mm.

vignetting01.jpg

vignetting02.jpg

I think this was shot with a lens hood attached. I can't remember. But I'm sure its at 24mm focal length though. Pardon the scratces on the negative.

Hope to hear comments and advice on you guys on whether I should send the lens back for servicing, exchange or just resign myself to fate. I bought the lens in May 2004.

Tried removing your filter? With that amount of vignetting it should be visible in the viewfinder.

strange, I don't have such a prob as yours, your vignetting is really very severe! maybe its your filters you added on like UV, polarisor, etc?

For the 1st pic, it looks like light fall-off instead of vignetting.

Are you using any filter? If yes, which filter?

Please don't be too quick to jump to conclusions. It will have vignetting if you try to stack your UV + Polariser onto the lens. Not a problem with the hood if you're using the one that came with the lens.

I have the same lens and I don't have any vignetting problem, even with the hood on. Slides or negatives, I don't have any problem.

You bought it some time ago, so was it recently that you have this vignetting problem?

As others have suggested, try removing your filters and see if the problems go away.

The reason why you don't see the vignetting in the viewfinder is that very few cameras have 100% coverage for their viewfinders. So, the vignetting that occurs in the corner may not be visible in the viewfinder.

Ah Pao is quite right. I never see vignetting from my viewfinder. I shall take shots at the widest this weekend without putting any filters on and see how it turns out. I also suspect its because i stack my UV and circ pol filters that's why i get this effect at the widest focal length.

good to know that there are other users with this lens with no problems. gives me a ray of hope :D

JermsDayOut said:
Ah Pao is quite right. I never see vignetting from my viewfinder. I shall take shots at the widest this weekend without putting any filters on and see how it turns out. I also suspect its because i stack my UV and circ pol filters that's why i get this effect at the widest focal length.

good to know that there are other users with this lens with no problems. gives me a ray of hope :D

Try taking the sky at widest aperture and the wide focal length. I will bet my money on you getting some light fall-off. :D

It is fairly common in most zoom lens.

Are you using film or digital?

CaeSiuM said:
There you go. :kok: :hammer: ;)

Hi Caesium,

Can I check with you if you use only ONE filter at one time, no stack? In that case, will the lens caught with dust very easily by changing the filter?

Thanks!

Doink... :faint: :bsmilie:
You should never stack your filters when using wide-angle lenses unless it's those slim-type ones.

It should be OK if it's just one filter, so leave your UV/Sunlight filter on and remove it only when you want to put other filters on.

Dust on the surface can easily be blown off with a blower. It's not going to affect the picture quality/light transmission anyway (unless it's one huge smack of bird ****... :sweat: )

sumball said:
Hi Caesium,

Can I check with you if you use only ONE filter at one time, no stack? In that case, will the lens caught with dust very easily by changing the filter?

Thanks!

Hi sumball,

Don't worry if dust/dirt does get on the surface of the lens, you can always wipe it off with a microfibre cloth(those that you use for your spectacles too) and a blower to get it off. Don't worry too much about it, a few specks of dust on your lens surface wouldn't affect your image quality unless your working distance is almost touching your subject. :p

Thanks ap pao and caesium,

ya, told not to but sometimes it was due to my laziness... ;p

as mentioned by ah pao not to stack especially using wide angle lens, how abt std or tele? not that serious?

many thanks bro!

May be the lens (and the hood) is designed for DSLR?

Anyone tried the D70 kit lens 18mm-70mm on a film camera? With the lens hood on, you will have vignetting on my FM2 and nothing on D70.

verdict's out...

NO PROBLEMS AT 24mm!!! I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

must be the stacking of filters...
thanks for your advice guys!!!

this is a d-a-m-n good lens!!!

JermsDayOut said:
verdict's out...

NO PROBLEMS AT 24mm!!! I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

must be the stacking of filters...
thanks for your advice guys!!!

this is a d-a-m-n good lens!!!

Happy for you too! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.