Tamron vs Sigma for 28-70 range

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptwong

Nov 10, 2003
Yishun
After doing my financial planning, I have concluded that i'm would not be getting a 24-70 L or even 28-70 L soon. (decided to save up for a longer zoom, 70-200 L) So I need some advice on a subsitude.

Can anyone advice on which is a better lens, the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX or Tamron 28-75 Di F2.8? I heard that tamron has a problem with the pics having a yellow caste to it. how true is it? Perhaps any other recommendation? I'm intend to use it as a walk-around lens with my 300d.

Thanks in advance.

ptwong said:
After doing my financial planning, I have concluded that i'm would not be getting a 24-70 L or even 28-70 L soon. (decided to save up for a longer zoom, 70-200 L) So I need some advice on a subsitude.

Can anyone advice on which is a better lens, the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX or Tamron 28-75 Di F2.8? I heard that tamron has a problem with the pics having a yellow caste to it. how true is it? Perhaps any other recommendation? I'm intend to use it as a walk-around lens with my 300d.

Thanks in advance.

suggest u look for a 28-135mm or 28-200mm as a walk-about lens. i once bought a 28-70mm 2nd-hand lens as a walk-about but soon discovered that it does not have the range. i'm using a tamron 28-200mm. the pics are a bit on the soft side. but, i've no problems with it and the images are sharp enuf for me. :D

thought about 28-200 also but like you said pics are on the soft side, think i'll just have to walk closer to the subjects when i take the pics :)
do you have any pics taken with your 28-200 so that i can have an idea of the lens?
thanks

eh.... okie. this is a sample pic i took recently at my church camp in msia. haven't got the time to PS it. this is taken using my tamron AF28-200mm f3.8-5.6 LD Aspherical (IF). i just used ps to resize the pic. no further touch-ups to let u have a look at the quality... heck! if u blow up the pic, u can even see the baby's red-eyes! :embrass:

CRW_9731.jpg

some of my frens found the pics taken with this lens a bit on the soft side. but, like i said, i can live with it. mebbe if u can, pop by some shops and test out the lens of interest to you and compare the results? or mebbe some kind souls here can advise? this is my first tamron lens. all my other lens are canon. so, may not be a good opinion. :sweat:

blurblock said:
wat is the range you take? the 28mm or the 200mm side?

took at the maximum range of 200mm. this was taken in the banquet hall of the hotel. i used a sigma 500 super DG flash and was sitting at the next table.

Well.. I found the tamron a better choice because of the following factors:
1. It's a lot lighter than the sigma
2. 67mm vs 82mm filters!
3. A lot of people say the tamron is slightly sharper

I guess the range u need for a walk-around lens really depends on what you want to shoot. I've found 28-75 ok for my purposes (cept the 28mm on DLSR isn't really wide enough).

ptwong said:

Thanks in advance.

In June issue of Practical Photography, the mag recommended Sigma 24-70. :thumbsup:

nightwolf75 said:
eh.... okie. this is a sample pic i took recently at my church camp in msia. haven't got the time to PS it. this is taken using my tamron AF28-200mm f3.8-5.6 LD Aspherical (IF). i just used ps to resize the pic. no further touch-ups to let u have a look at the quality... heck! if u blow up the pic, u can even see the baby's red-eyes! :embrass:

CRW_9731.jpg

some of my frens found the pics taken with this lens a bit on the soft side. but, like i said, i can live with it. mebbe if u can, pop by some shops and test out the lens of interest to you and compare the results? or mebbe some kind souls here can advise? this is my first tamron lens. all my other lens are canon. so, may not be a good opinion. :sweat:

cute baby :) it does seem a bit soft....thanks for the sample

Status
Not open for further replies.