Tamron vs Canon lens

1. Undecided as to which lens to buy and need all of your advice! Intended to use it on Canon 7D body. Should I buy Tamron 18-200mm PZD f3.5-6.3 DIII VC PZD, priced at $963 vs Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS f3.5-5.6, priced at $1070. Thanks!!

2. Should I buy one of those lens or should I go for EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM at $1125 + EF 70-200mm F4L USM $999.

Before dumping money on stuffs that you are not sure on, I will recommend going with kit lens 18-xx/18-xxx series...Both Tamron and Canon have nice reviews. But if given the choice, I will stick with Canon (mainly for customer support reasons)

Isn't the Tamron PZD 18-270mm instead?

To me, in term of IQ, 15-85mm are better. Fast enough for general use also.

If the length 18-200 is a must for u, go for Canon!!! Otherwise as per huatman, go for 15-85.. or u top up a bit get a 17-55 f2.8.. Used 1 cost u bout 1100-1300..

7D is a quick camera…Tamron isn't a quick lens :) Neither is the canon actually..you'd want something with a USM motor type lens to match the speed of the 7D.

What does TS find the 15-85mm lens lacking? Wouldn't first knowing that answer, it is not effective for you to buy any lens at all... irregardless if it was Tamron lens, Carl Zeiss lens, Canon lens, Sigma lens, etc etc.

From my point of view, 15-85mm is a great lens, it provide the wideness that few lens can match and a reasonable short tele capability. If it was the range that is lacking, then get urself a 70-200mm lens.

What does TS find the 15-85mm lens lacking? Wouldn't first knowing that answer, it is not effective for you to buy any lens at all... irregardless if it was Tamron lens, Carl Zeiss lens, Canon lens, Sigma lens, etc etc.

From my point of view, 15-85mm is a great lens, it provide the wideness that few lens can match and a reasonable short tele capability. If it was the range that is lacking, then get urself a 70-200mm lens.

Hey Rhino! It's been a while.

7D is a quick camera…Tamron isn't a quick lens :) Neither is the canon actually..you'd want something with a USM motor type lens to match the speed of the 7D.

Personally using the 7D with Canon 18-200IS, the AF speed is fast enuff for me.

michaelwks said:
Of course the best is to get Canon lens since the body is Canon.

Not necessarily.

Since 70-200mm is an L lens, if we were to convert it to EF-S, wont it become a 44-125mm, which would have already been covered by the 15-85mm no? It gives another 40mm for the price of a lot more? Shouldn't I be buying the L lens 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM, equivalent to EFS 70-250mm? So where aint anyone recommending this lens to me, rather than the 70-200mm?

Last edited:
Since 70-200mm is an L lens, if we were to convert it to EF-S, wont it become a 44-125mm, which would have already been covered by the 15-85mm no? It gives another 40mm for the price of a lot more? Shouldn't I be buying the L lens 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM, equivalent to EFS 70-250mm? So where aint anyone recommending this lens to me, rather than the 70-200mm?

I think you need to read up more.

1. It does not matter if it's an L lens or not.
2. You don't "convert to EF-S". 70-200 will stay 70-200 no matter what camera you use it on. But if you use it on a crop sensor body, you MULTIPLY the effective focal length by 1.6, not DIVIDE. This is due to the crop factor.
4. 100-400 will become 160-640mm equiv. on the Canon crop sensor bodies.

May or may not be important.

Canon lens warranty 1 year and Tamron lens warranty 3 years if i am not wrong.

The warranty will come in handy if ever need to adjust focus or the lens got problems.

My Tamron i bought from the US has 6 years warranty. If got problem i just rma back to the store i got it from.

Last edited:
go with an extra efs 55-250. u dun have to break ur piggy bank.

i dun see why u need to bust so much money. 18-55 +55-250 is a very strong lens combination.

if u are asking, u dun need it.

i dun see why u need to bust so much money. 18-55 +55-250 is a very strong lens combination.

Ya I second that as a good value-for-money option.
Have never been fond of superzooms. The whole point of using a DSLR system is the ability to use the most appropriate lens for the job :)

If u drive a sport car, please put on sport tyre as well !

same suggestion here, I would go with 55-250 as my first choice (over the 18-200). unless you are using the camera primarily for travel, in which case you can consider the Canon 18-200 (if planning to shooting a considerable amount of wildlife you can consider Tamron 18-270 & Sigma 18-250 besides the Canon).