Tamron SP90mm or Canon 100mm non-USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hein

Jun 19, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi All,

Any comments on the above two lens?? Which lens is more worth (value for money, and optical wise).... Is it worth getting the Canon 100mm USM, which is around $1k :bigeyes:
Anybody owing the Tamron here.. Comments pls..

Or, is there any reasonable alternative macro lens..

Tamron 90mm SP is truly a marvellous lens.. cheap and sharp! :)

Don’t worry much about the optical quality of macro lenses, even Vivitar 105mm macro is sharper than most of the L-lenses. I suggest that you go to the shop and try out all the macro lenses available and see which focusing ring has a better feel.

AF speed of macro lenses should range from slow to very slow which is sometimes subjective, it’s just a matter of personal preferences.
:)

Well.. I quite like the focus ring of the Tamron 90, but find it a little bit odd to change from MF to AF.. Something the ring just doesn't move forward, or there's a slight clack noise, that may scare the insect away...

The Canon non USM is much bigger than the Tamron, but the AF switch is much better than the Tamron...

Guess I'll go and really play with the different macro lens and make my choice(If I really have the choice)....

If you can afford, go for the Canon 100mm as it has the following 3 advantages over the Tamron:
1) Silent and faster AF (USM). Good if you're going to use it for other purposes such as portraits.
2) Longer working distance (14cm) compared to the Tamron (9cm) at maximum magnification
3) Internal Focusing. The physical length of the lens does not change during focusing.

I personally liked the focusing ring of the Tamron lens. Very smooth and well-dampened. Its lightweight, compact and very sharp. I use it exclusively for macros shooting.

azone said:
If you can afford, go for the Canon 100mm as it has the following 3 advantages over the Tamron:
1) Silent and faster AF (USM). Good if you're going to use it for other purposes such as portraits.

Silent to human ears. Some animals (like dogs and cats) can hear and respond to the ultrasonic mechanism. i don't know about insects though. i chose the Tamron, though not for this reason. It's good value for money, one of Tamron's sharpest lens. It's my only 3rd party lens.

It's not so hot as a portrait lens though. i've tried a few times, AF just a bit too slow if you're into candids. Also, you may want something shallower than f2.8 for portraits sometimes. For the price of the Canon 100mm, you can get the 90mm Tamron AND a used Canon 85/1.8, and maybe a bit of change.

ST1100 said:
It's not so hot as a portrait lens though. i've tried a few times, AF just a bit too slow if you're into candids. Also, you may want something shallower than f2.8 for portraits sometimes. For the price of the Canon 100mm, you can get the 90mm Tamron AND a used Canon 85/1.8, and maybe a bit of change.

That's a VERY attractive point you just mentionned.. I just got myself a 420EX, and am very happy with the shots I'm getting now compared to without flash.. I can get a Tamron 90mm too, and the price of those two is still lower than the Canon 100mm USM alone... It's good to hear personal feedback on the Tamron 90mm.. This may be a lens that I'll get in the near future......

Any personal comments on the Canon 100mm USM/ non-USM??

Status
Not open for further replies.