Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) new @ $550

Status
Not open for further replies.

zechraffie

Jan 29, 2008
Hi,

i was offered the price of $550 for a new Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF). Its a grey set that comes with 3 months shop warranty (from a reputable shop).

is this a good price in your opinion?

Thanks for your time.:thumbsup:

zechraffie

Hi,

i was offered the price of $550 for a new Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF). Its a grey set that comes with 3 months shop warranty (from a reputable shop).

zechraffie

to me warranty isnt important for lens. Everyone thinks differently maybe you could consider? a last check i did was about 620 for a brand new piece

i guess you can look at the B/S? some of the tammy users are selling their's for the VC vers. Also, in malaysia, when the VC hit, the non VC dropped in price. You could wait for the end of the week.

Hi,

zechraffie

For Local sets, the warranty is 3 years (1 + 2 extended if you mail or email in the warranty card). and it is mostly selling at around 630 including GST.

So it is up to you which way you want to go. There are also some front/back focusing issues with some copies of this lens. So if you have a local warranty set, and should you need that service, JEL will do it for you. However, you need to wait for a month plus, as they have to send it to Tamron japan to get it done and send it back.

With a grey set, you will have to depend on the shop to get it done for you.

Either way, make sure you test your copy of the lens to make sure it is ok before paying up.

So again, it is your choice. 3 years of warranty for around $70 of difference.

For Local sets, the warranty is 3 years (1 + 2 extended if you mail or email in the warranty card). and it is mostly selling at around 630 including GST.

So it is up to you which way you want to go. There are also some front/back focusing issues with some copies of this lens. So if you have a local warranty set, and should you need that service, JEL will do it for you. However, you need to wait for a month plus, as they have to send it to Tamron japan to get it done and send it back.

With a grey set, you will have to depend on the shop to get it done for you.

Either way, make sure you test your copy of the lens to make sure it is ok before paying up.

So again, it is your choice. 3 years of warranty for around $70 of difference.

Front/Back focusing calibration can be done within 30mins at JEL. Unless the lens is not sharp, JEL will ship it back to Japan for more testing and evaluation.

I got mine at $620 at OP. So far, very pleased with the lens.

Given your feedback, i'm inclined to getting a new set with full local warranty.

Thank you so much for your invaluable feedback. :thumbsup:

shalom,

zechraffie

good choice.

first shot @ a 3rd party lens so hopefully it is a good choice like you've said :bsmilie:

Nikkors are just too expensive for an amateur like me :bsmilie:

shalom,

Given your feedback, i'm inclined to getting a new set with full local warranty.

Thank you so much for your invaluable feedback. :thumbsup:

shalom,

zechraffie

wise choice :thumbsup:

I got a quote from MS Color for the new model and here it is: SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF)---$630(inc.gst) free filter worth $15 ,free $20 shopping voucher from agent plus 3 years agent warranty.

I think you may consider this option than the one without VC. For SGD 80.00 difference you get VC (vibration compensation) and an agent warranty. What do you think? Actually I am considering this because Nikon's equivalent lens is way too high.

I got a quote from MS Color for the new model and here it is: SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF)---$630(inc.gst) free filter worth $15 ,free $20 shopping voucher from agent plus 3 years agent warranty.

I think you may consider this option than the one without VC. For SGD 80.00 difference you get VC (vibration compensation) and an agent warranty. What do you think? Actually I am considering this because Nikon's equivalent lens is way too high.

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:R U sure this is the price quoted to you? Do you hv the name of the person? I got a quote for $980 voucher $10

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:R U sure this is the price quoted to you? Do you hv the name of the person? I got a quote for $980 voucher $10

I re-checked my email just now and that is exactly what was quoted to me. Actually I just copy and paste the portion of the quotation to my previous post.

Actually I was also surprised because I know the price of the unit without VC. I can verify with Florence again.

I re-checked my email just now and that is exactly what was quoted to me. Actually I just copy and paste the portion of the quotation to my previous post.

Actually I was also surprised because I know the price of the unit without VC. I can verify with Florence again.

Hi DrSpock,

A correction from my previous post. The vendor overlooked the VC on the specs hence mistakenly gave me the incorrect quotation. Here is the updated price based from the new email reply:

Price :$980(inc.gst) free $40 shopping voucher plus 3 years warranty from agent..free 67mm filter worth $25 from mscolor

Sori to spoil your good deal:cry: but that price is more like what is current street price and it's a good lens:thumbsup:

Hi DrSpock,

A correction from my previous post. The vendor overlooked the VC on the specs hence mistakenly gave me the incorrect quotation. Here is the updated price based from the new email reply:

Price :$980(inc.gst) free $40 shopping voucher plus 3 years warranty from agent..free 67mm filter worth $25 from mscolor

can we just go there and pretend that we do not know about that and bla2... lolz... I almost jump to go to ms to buy it :p

Hi DrSpock,

Hmm.. thought it needs a 72mm filter? :think:

anyone knows whether the non built in motor model is still available in stores?

anyone knows whether the non built in motor model is still available in stores?

If you mean the non-VC version? Yes, they still are available in stores.

If you mean the non-VC version? Yes, they still are available in stores.

nope, non-VC got w/ built in and w/o built in one. i'm looking for w/o built in

The non-VC is 67mm whereas the new VC version is bigger due to incorporate VC hence 72mm so more exp filter lor

Status
Not open for further replies.