Tamron (CanonMount) 70-200mm f2.8 VC USD

LexenZ

Feb 25, 2014
Singapore
Hi there guys,

I happened to saw a post about someone selling Tamron (CanonMount) 70-200mm f2.8 VC USD. I think its really an attractive purchase but sadly it was bought from Malaysia.

Warranty wise I am unable to claim it from Singapore....

Supposedly its not worth I guess?

What is your priority: Taking picture or claiming warranty?
In which way do you expect the lens in its optical quality and other specs to be inferior to lenses of the same type purchased on Singapore?
Many people buy grey items and they work just as well as the ones with local warranty. After one year (or 15 months in some cases) all equipment is equal when you bring it to the service center: you have to pay for parts and labor.

What is your priority: Taking picture or claiming warranty?
In which way do you expect the lens in its optical quality and other specs to be inferior to lenses of the same type purchased on Singapore?
Many people buy grey items and they work just as well as the ones with local warranty. After one year (or 15 months in some cases) all equipment is equal when you bring it to the service center: you have to pay for parts and labor.

Thanks for your response :D

I would go for taking pictures hahaha
With regards to grey items... how do I know if the lens is a grey item??

So long if it has no more warranty, be it local set or grey set, it won't makes a difference.

With regards to grey items... how do I know if the lens is a grey item??
Everything else being equal - the grey set is cheaper.
Local sets come with a warranty card of Singapore distributor / service center and the shop will ask you to contact them in case of any issues after the 7 days period (during which most shops do a 1:1 replacement). Grey sets don't come with any local warranty card and the shop will promise you to get your lens repaired if something doesn't work. Based on feedback here it seems to work well with some shops, others report issues of long repair time. Do keep the receipt in all cases.
But then, you describe the lens being offered as being "bought in MY". That could mean that the set is either a grey one or a local MY set. In both cases SG Tamron service partner will treat the item as having no warranty.

Last edited:
To be honest, the 5 year warranty of the Tamron seems quite hard to pass up.

My Tamron 24-70 VC recently became problematic and the aperture was stuck at f22. It's about 1.5years after purchase. And fortunately still under warranty and got repaired and also calibrated at the same time. It's sharper than ever now.

I still feel that as a non technical person who runs to the experts when faced with a technical situation, a warranty is useful. Especially so with big ticket items and also the tamron's lengthy warranty period.

Cheers.

Everything else being equal - the grey set is cheaper.
Local sets come with a warranty card of Singapore distributor / service center and the shop will ask you to contact them in case of any issues after the 7 days period (during which most shops do a 1:1 replacement). Grey sets don't come with any local warranty card and the shop will promise you to get your lens repaired if something doesn't work. Based on feedback here it seems to work well with some shops, others report issues of long repair time. Do keep the receipt in all cases.
But then, you describe the lens being offered as being "bought in MY". That could mean that the set is either a grey one or a local MY set. In both cases SG Tamron service partner will treat the item as having no warranty.

$IMG-20140801-WA0036.jpg
Above is the place where he purchased. So I'm unsure whether it was grey or not as well.... xD

To be honest, the 5 year warranty of the Tamron seems quite hard to pass up.

My Tamron 24-70 VC recently became problematic and the aperture was stuck at f22. It's about 1.5years after purchase. And fortunately still under warranty and got repaired and also calibrated at the same time. It's sharper than ever now.

I still feel that as a non technical person who runs to the experts when faced with a technical situation, a warranty is useful. Especially so with big ticket items and also the tamron's lengthy warranty period.

Cheers.

I have to agree with you on this one :0 I'm not a technical person as well. I spoke to Tamron Singapore about warranty issues and they do not cover purchases from overseas. I guess if the lens I buy might have issues I would have to pay over hundred dollars to fix the issues without any warranty ;O

View attachment 3818
Above is the place where he purchased. So I'm unsure whether it was grey or not as well.... xD
That's looks like an official Tamron Dealer in JB. What is missing is the receipt with date of purchase.
For any issue you would need to find the next Tamron service partner in MY, according Tamron website this is
Malaysia/DSC World Sdn. Bhd.
16-1, jalan PJU 5/16, PJU 5,
Dataran Sunway
Kota Damansara
47810 Petaling Jaya
Selangor, Malaysia

Phone: +(60) 361-488-122 / +(60) 361-488-098
Fax: +(60) 361-572-160
Email: admin@dscworld.com.my
Web: http://www.dscworld.com.my/

They have a Service / Display & Technical Center
Lot 08-41, Level 8, West Wing,
Berjaya Times Square, No 1, Jalan Imbi,
55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: 03.2142 0208 / 209
Fax: 03.2142 0206

As you can see, Tamron in Malaysia gives only 2 years of warranty whereas Tamron Singapore gives 5 years.

Last edited: