Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical Field Test

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Had an opportunity to give this lens a field test, the first thing I noticed when i mounted this lens on my Nikon D80 was the incredible zoom range :bigeyes:

i have posted lots of images taken with my Nikon D80 (some pixel peeping 100% crops)
so judge from the images and make your conclusions from them.
My comments are solely from my perspective only.

Zoom18-270F9.jpg

Zoom18F9.jpg

Zoom35F9.jpg

Zoom50F9.jpg

Last edited:
Zoom70F9.jpg

Zoom100F9.jpg

Zoom200F9.jpg

Zoom270F9.jpg

as you can see the zoom range is 2nd to none
i would think it will be a handy all-in-one lens for travelling

There is also the convenience of a MACRO capability

this is the max magnification you can get using 270mm at closest focusing distance
Macro270F13.jpg

and this is the bokeh you get at max focal lenght & min focusing distance

Macro270F63Bokeh.jpg

Macro270F8Bokeh.jpg

Macro270F11Bokeh.jpg

Macro270F16Bokeh.jpg

Macro270F22Bokeh.jpg

Macro270F32Bokeh.jpg

the added "macro" capability is an added plus to thin handy lens, to get max. magnification you need to zoom to 270mm and set the focus at min focusing distance, but at 270mm it is best to have a tripod handy

Chromatic aberration (CA) tests

bad shot taken to try to create Chromatic aberration

CA24f45.jpg

CA24f56.jpg

CA24f8.jpg

CA24f11.jpg

CA24f16.jpg

CA is surprisingly well controlled and it looks like it went away at f8

f8crop.jpg

f11crop.jpg

f16crop.jpg

not the sharpest of lens, but that is to be expected in the "superzoom" class of lens
but this is pixel peeping and stopping down will generally make the image sharper

Since this lens is well suited for an all-in-one superzoom handy lens, for travel
i brought it to Korea for a non technical field test.

DSC_9274.jpg

DSC_9282.jpg

DSC_9287.jpg

DSC_9306.jpg

this is a Liger, a cross between a tiger and a lion

Conclusion

as you can see, the versatility of this lens is simply amazing, from 18mm WA to 270mm tele and macro to complete.
this lens works well in good light, this is so that you can stop down to get the optimum sharpness.

Some other shots taken with the Tamron 10-24

Conclusion

as you can see, the versatility of this lens is simply amazing, from 18mm WA to 270mm tele and macro to complete.
this lens works well in good light, this is so that you can stop down to get the optimum sharpness.

Some other shots taken with the Tamron 10-24
Is this available for Pentax DSLR? How much did it cost?

Hi recently I am using tamron lens 70-300 f4-5.6 and 17-50 f2.8. My first lens is 70-300 and its works well in day light and at night its comes out ghosting immage and even the christmas tree comes up in picture in shadow up side down.on lens printed assemble in china. But I quite OK with 17-50 off course its quite porpular too. Obviously there are much different quality in each lens. in 18 -270 mm did u test at night shoot?

Since this lens is well suited for an all-in-one superzoom handy lens, for travel
i brought it to Korea for a non technical field test.

DSC_9306.jpg

this is a Liger, a cross between a tiger and a lion

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

For the zoom more than 200mm, did you use tripod?

yes I did use tri pod. there is immage ghosting. For example if u shoot the car two front light if your tele zoom is not good enought enought you will be see the 4 light insted of 2. others 2 extra . I want to post my foto with that problem but I don't know how to uploade yet I m new here.:)