tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II a good upgrade from D70 kit lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomobile

Dec 8, 2004
east
www.ampm.mobi
tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II vs Nikon d70 kit lens.

Hi everyone,

need some suggestions. :)

Been thinking to replace my d70 kit lens with a slightly better one with a better zoom range and same wide as d70's 18mm.

Will AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II cut it? as it fits my budget.

Will it full replace my D70 kit lens? As i'm thinking of selling the kit lens and buy AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II. And is the lens suitable for say... wedding, events?

Any suggestions/advice will be apreciated.

THanks! :)

Mmmm 18-70 is a good lens, if you are not too fussy Tamron is OK but is a little slow. Also the 18-70 is a AFS so not noisy like the Tamron. The one to replace the kit lens would be the Nikon 18-200 which is also a AFS and VR.
Actually I am selling the Tamron in anticipation of the Nikon ones.

I consider Tamron AF 18-200 f3.5/6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro as there're currently no news of what price the nikon one unless i did not read all the thread properly. :)

I think i read somewhere it is currently us 600 plus. so I presume the nikon version will be around 1k???

:)

Nikon 18-200 should be around 1.2-1.3k
Only problem is you may have to be fast as I suppose stock will be limited for a start.

gomobile said:
I consider Tamron AF 18-200 f3.5/6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro as there're currently no news of what price the nikon one unless i did not read all the thread properly. :)

I think i read somewhere it is currently us 600 plus. so I presume the nikon version will be around 1k???

:)

Buy 17-35, 28-70 and 70-200VR if you wanna consider upgrading.

HI ESPN,

You don't rekon that the lens will have benifits over D70 kit lens? Even with the additional zoom distance? :)

Hi Dennis,

I would presume that the lens is as sharp than the kit lens?

Cheers!

the original kit lens is better than tamron lens.
choose nikon 18-70 ed lens.

i would wait for the nikon 18-200mm cause of AFS and VR.
Under low light, my tamron will hunt quite abit which is very fustrating.

If used at wide open no but step down 1-2 notch it is comparable or at least can't detect.
In wide angle mode can't detect much problem except for some distortion.
IMHO in terms of convenience and zoom of course no match lah but bear in mind the 18-70 is a AFS. In short if you are not a pro or require critical sharpness, distortionless picture and contrast it is a good lens.

gomobile said:
HI ESPN,

You don't rekon that the lens will have benifits over D70 kit lens? Even with the additional zoom distance? :)

Hi Dennis,

Cheers!

gomobile said:
HI ESPN,

Hi Dennis,

Cheers!
To me upgrade means several things:

- Image quality
- Speed

So 18-70DX to 18-200DX doesn't really fit in as an upgrade to me. If you say 17-55DX or 17-35 or even 28-70, it would sure look good as an upgrade.

Yo gomobile!
i guess everyone has their own criteria to describe an 'upgrade'.

if you feel that you need a longer lens with a wider range - 18-200DX and if it will help you (this lens should be fine for street shooting and family holidays/outings) and the range is really versitile - i will definitely call it an upgrade. So the lens, technically doesn't look that great as compared to the 17-55/17-35/28-70 lenses, but if it works for you and if it helps you get the shots you want, its definitely an upgrade!

you should head down to the shop, try it out and see if u like it! cheers and all the best in choosing ur lens :D

oh yes :) about weddings and events... if you're not shooting professionally (tan jia), this lens can do it also~ I've seen people take wonderfully nice shots with lenses I shall not mention here :D cheers!

Guess I would either save up for a decent nikon 18-200mm or maybe just use the tamron for the moment. Anyways the shopping just started.

Status
Not open for further replies.