Tamron 90mm vs nikon 105mm vr

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerax

Apr 19, 2008
alright, i am so sorry if i repeat any discussions here.

obviously, what i am trying to find out , Which one is better overall??

I know that optically, they are the same. but i am so curious, Will the barrel extension of tamron 90 when focusing scare the bugs/ insects??? how much of an issue is this???

Will VR helps??? for like 1:2 magnification and above? I dont like to bring tripod ( and dont have any) .

Finally, IS 105mm VR worth double the price of tammy 90??

thanks for the answers

I know that optically, they are the same. but i am so curious, Will the barrel extension of tamron 90 when focusing scare the bugs/ insects??? how much of an issue is this???

Will VR helps??? for like 1:2 magnification and above? I dont like to bring tripod ( and dont have any) .

thanks for the answers

Quality wise, Nikon will beat Tamron, VR is not useful for high magnification.

Worth the money or not is very individual.

thanks for the answers

The Tamron 90mm produce quite decent quality in my opinion. It is also lighter than the Nikon 105mm VR. Another option you can consider is to look for a second hand Nikon 105mm f2.8 non VR version.

i have tried them both and shooting with them was very different.
both lenses extends, about scaring the bugs, i focus using manual focus and in advance.
so the lens does not extend when i approach the bugs.

it is up to you to find the right method that suits your own shooting style.
both are capable lenses, but i prefer the nikon 105mm AF-D (non VR)

i have tried them both and shooting with them was very different.
both lenses extends, about scaring the bugs, i focus using manual focus and in advance.
so the lens does not extend when i approach the bugs.

it is up to you to find the right method that suits your own shooting style.
both are capable lenses, but i prefer the nikon 105mm AF-D (non VR)

Erh. I think 105 mm VR 2.8 is internal focus, so no lens extension.

I dont know about Tamron but i know 1 person who sold it off to get the 105 mm VR.

Anyway, i am using the 105 mm and its one of the most solid lens for me.

Erh. I think 105 mm VR 2.8 is internal focus, so no lens extension.

I dont know about Tamron but i know 1 person who sold it off to get the 105 mm VR.

Anyway, i am using the 105 mm and its one of the most solid lens for me.

is that so ....

then my lens must be faulty :think: or unique ;)

Quality wise, Nikon will beat Tamron, VR is not useful for high magnification.

Worth the money or not is very individual.

quality like in what sense? build quality?

i am just afraid that i spend double the money just for NIKON BRAND.

one other thing i also heard from people. 105mm VR is too big and it will block the flash light of my camera (D40) . is this true?

if this was true, then it means i cant shoot in the night then : ( :cry:

one other thing i also heard from people. 105mm VR is too big and it will block the flash light of my camera (D40) . is this true?

Quite big. Quite heavy. But its built quality, colors... phew! Fantastic. You may need to do some calibration with the colors. Colors appear slight different with some of my lenses and u probably need to do some in camera adjustments.

Yes, it will block yr D40 inbuilt flash. Use a pop-up difusser. If you are taking so close, the flash would be too harsh anyway.

For shooting in the night... dunno abt that. But think its not so suitable for night shooting. Depends on what...

quality like in what sense? build quality?

i am just afraid that i spend double the money just for NIKON BRAND.

IMHO, it is one great prime lens.

Last edited:
the 105 VR is IF, yours is none VR... no IF
thanks for clarifying

the tamron 90 does block the pop up flash when shooting at 1:1
i dunno about the nikon VR version (blocking the pop up flash) but my nikon AF-D version does not.

I own a Nikon non-VR, satisfy with the built and IQ. And you need an external flash if you want a decent photo - at 1:1 extend, on board flash will only cast a shadow on your object.

A photo taken few weeks back, with me lying on floor...
antz4.jpg

Both are good.......

Optical and build wise Nikon is better.

But, many times you can't see much different.

Go to Macro Section and take a look, how many bad photos are taken by both lenses.
Macro photography is a very technical field of photography, technical skill stand a large influence in the end result.

I had said before, worth or not is very individual.

Double the price is not saying that the quality will be doubled.
Do you mind spent that money to get just a slightly better one?

Let taken me as a example.
I currently using a macro 200mm macro instead of Tamron 180 macro. The price is almost double, quality wise, Tamron 180 is also proven a very good lens. But i prefer a small edge ahead because it is my workhorse lens.

But i own a Tamron 90mm instead of a nikon macro lens, because it just serve as a backup lens and i actually use only twice. Most of the time i lend it to friends, using it to teach them marco.

Personally i prefer the size and weight of the AFD than the VR, as VR is quite pointless in macro, if mount on tripod, it is best to switch off too.

But the 105VR does boost on it Nano coating to better IQ.

Or you can also consider CZ 100mm Macro, IQ is top notch, but can only acheive 1:2 reproduction.

So every lens there are pro and con. Just get the one that fit your needs.

to bring out the best in both lens, i'd suggest u set aside money for a good tripod.

tripod, very very important.

thanks for clarifying

the tamron 90 does block the pop up flash when shooting at 1:1
i dunno about the nikon VR version (blocking the pop up flash) but my nikon AF-D version does not.

Oh yours is the AF-D version...I do believe the IF version with VR is running on SWM for AF, and does not extend.

what about the autofocus of tamron 90? is it really that slow ? compared to 105mm?

so far, i am leaning toward tamron.

I am thinking of selling my kit lens and upgrading it with tamron 17-50
and then get tamron 90mm. is this good idea?

for the price of nikon 105mm , i can get 2 tamron lenses and still left with some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.