Tamron 90Di or Nikkor 60?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelywolf

Apr 7, 2005
blog.zhanglei.net
Hi,

Gonna buy a macro lens....

budget is below 600, anybody has some advice for these two lens? which one should I get?

dont say BBB lah, since I am so pooor....

Also new to macro ....so not sure what I will shoot....

Please suggest something to me, thanks. :)

which type of macro you want to shoot?

both are very good lenses as rated by the Japanese magazines. 60mm has very very low light falloff at the corners. But the 2 are of different range. Depending on what you are going to be shooting, it is very hard for others to recommend to you.

60mm Nikkor
90mm Tamron
100mm Tokina

Would get the Nikkor 105 micro. Just add about 100 more and you have a more versatile macro lense.

AF-S VR Macro N .. kekekeke

There's a few 105mm micro out there in B&S. Go grab them. ;)

lonelywolf said:
Hi,

budget is below 600, anybody has some advice for these two lens? which one should I get?

It depends.
Both are very good lenses whose reputations are without reproach.

Normally, people buy the Tamron 90mm to do both portrait and Macro work.

For portraiture:
If you are shooting digital then go for the 60 Micro bec it becomes a 90mm (ideal portraiture length).

If you are shooting film, get the Tamron 90mm. It becomes a 135mm on a dSLR, you have to stand further away from your subject to get head and shoulders which makes it harder to interact with your subject. Having said this; is not that big a disadvantage. The Tamron has very good (creamy) bokeh compared to the 60 Micro.

For Macro work, with the 90mm you can shoot from further away - which is good if you don't want to spook your subjects. i.e. insects etc etc.

I would prefer the Nikon 60mm micro, then later when u have more money and interest, add the Nikon 105mm micro, then u would have a good pair of micro lens.

since the thread starter does not know what to shoot with a macro lens, i would suggest that you do not buy now.

lonelywolf said:
Hi,

Nature? Still life? Copy/Repro? Medical? Bio?

Astin said:
I would prefer the Nikon 60mm micro, then later when u have more money and interest, add the Nikon 105mm micro, then u would have a good pair of micro lens.

yeah..I like nikon brand also... personally a bit against other lens..

reachme2003 said:
since the thread starter does not know what to shoot with a macro lens, i would suggest that you do not buy now.

that is a good point.... but if I dont have , how I know that what I liek to shoot ? it is kind of trying mah..

TMC said:
both are very good lenses as rated by the Japanese magazines. 60mm has very very low light falloff at the corners. But the 2 are of different range. Depending on what you are going to be shooting, it is very hard for others to recommend to you.

60mm Nikkor
90mm Tamron
100mm Tokina

Would get the Nikkor 105 micro. Just add about 100 more and you have a more versatile macro lense.

understand... actually I also wanna get one 105 micro since all are selling theirs, it could be a good time for it..

but money is the big issue.. :(

thanks very much for all the replies, especially those spent quite a while to write so long replies.

I think probably I will grab a nikkor 60mm in next week unless I can get the cheap price for tamron....

trying to dig the macro world...

lonelywolf said:
yeah..I like nikon brand also... personally a bit against other lens..

This bias is uncalled for when it comes to the Tamron 90mm. It is a gem of a lens, one of Tamron's finest.
Do a search on google on this lens and it will bring up pics taken with this lens. You will see how good the bokeh is on the lens.

It is so good, a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit photographer uses it for his magazine and calender shots.

BTW, Nikon subcontracts the manufacture of some of it's lenses to Tamron and Sigma. So what does that tell you?

lonelywolf said:
that is a good point.... but if I dont have , how I know that what I liek to shoot ? it is kind of trying mah..
Then i suggest you buy first,talk later.

it is juz personal feeling... got touched some bad lens before which gives me bad image on those lens...

I do not say it is bad. If it is bad, I wont consider to buy it...

:) keep calm and I apologize for the misleading if there is any...

Tetrode said:
This bias is uncalled for when it comes to the Tamron 90mm. It is a gem of a lens, one of Tamron's finest.
Do a search on google on this lens and it will bring up pics taken with this lens. You will see how good the bokeh is on the lens.

It is so good, a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit photographer uses it for his magazine and calender shots.

BTW, Nikon subcontracts the manufacture of some of it's lenses to Tamron and Sigma. So what does that tell you?

zaxh81 said:
Then i suggest you buy first,talk later.
that is what I am doing now... juz wanna get some advice or sort of confidence before getting it....

normal behavior , is it? :p

since both are good lenses and both fits within your budget, then might as well get tamron 90mm. it has a longer working range for you to shoot macro and since u aren't sure what to shoot, that range fits u better.

and tamron 90mm has been featured as a legendary macro lens, world renowned for its outstanding optical performance and lightweight and compact design. it has been reviewed, tested and proven. so why hesistate?

and if one day u decide to shoot portraits instead of macro, tamron 90mm is still good to go! :thumbsup:

Just curious...

how much would the Tamron 90mm go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.