Tamron 70-300m vs Sigma 70-300m

Status
Not open for further replies.

beniz

Apr 12, 2009
Hi all Pentaxians,

I am choosing between this 2 lens for pentax mount. However , very few reviews on them. I saw review on tamron, it's a decent lens and also prefered by pentaxians here.

Since their price is diff by abt 100~, i would like to hear advises from pros here.
Using with K-X ;)

Hi all Pentaxians,

I am choosing between this 2 lens for pentax mount. However , very few reviews on them. I saw review on tamron, it's a decent lens and also prefered by pentaxians here.

Since their price is diff by abt 100~, i would like to hear advises from pros here.
Using with K-X ;)

back when I still had mine, my understanding is the sigma is optically better while the tamron build quality was better. :)

thanks bro. So it's worth the price of paying abt 100 more for sigma ? :bsmilie:

I've had the both Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD. I feel the Tamron is better built than the Sigma, never really liked the powdery coating on the Sigma lens and the lens hood never stayed on securely. On the Tamron, the macro switch has a more positive feel and the lens hood locks on securely. I think the feel of the zoom ring on the Tamron is better than the Sigma too.

In terms of optical quality, the Sigma is softer than the Tamron, and it became more obvious when I upgraded from K100D (6MP) to K20D (14MP). The Tamron is sharper but quite prone to PF, especially beyond 200mm. Have to decide if PF is an issue for you or not.

I would have expected the Tamron to be more expensive than the Sigma. :think: Since it's cheaper by $100 then I recommend Tamron 100%.

I've had the both Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro and the Tamron 70-300 Di LD. I feel the Tamron is better built than the Sigma, never really liked the powdery coating on the Sigma lens and the lens hood never stayed on securely. On the Tamron, the macro switch has a more positive feel and the lens hood locks on securely. I think the feel of the zoom ring on the Tamron is better than the Sigma too.

In terms of optical quality, the Sigma is softer than the Tamron, and it became more obvious when I upgraded from K100D (6MP) to K20D (14MP). The Tamron is sharper but quite prone to PF, especially beyond 200mm. Have to decide if PF is an issue for you or not.

I would have expected the Tamron to be more expensive than the Sigma. :think: Since it's cheaper by $100 then I recommend Tamron 100%.

Thks bro ! tamron is really cheaper . The pf i saw from bro night86mare's cat pic, not really a issue to me, minor problem . I was quoted 250 for tamron from shop.

I read that the front part is moving ? if use those flower hood will affect the pic quality ? Or only can use the all round hood?

I used to own the sigma version:
3013353322_074338867e_b.jpg

Taken @ 300mm

But never set my hands on the tamron one thou haha

Thks bro ! tamron is really cheaper . The pf i saw from bro night86mare's cat pic, not really a issue to me, minor problem . I was quoted 250 for tamron from shop.

I read that the front part is moving ? if use those flower hood will affect the pic quality ? Or only can use the all round hood?

Oh the PF can get much worse than the cat pic.. ;)

Yea the front element rotates for both. They both come with round hoods, I see no reason to use third-party petal hoods.

The Tamron has a rotating front element when it focuses, so you can't use a petal hood with it. The lens comes with its own round hood anyway, so don't worry about that. If you use a CPL, you'll need to focus first, then adjust the CPL.

The PF can get much worse when you have long edges of high contrast, eg. edges of buildings, or the body of a white bird against a dark background. But there's no doubt that the lens is still very sharp once you stop down a bit and a very good deal for $250.

Edit: Oh, haha, Darren beat me to it with the same info. :)

Last edited:
The Tamron has a rotating front element when it focuses, so you can't use a petal hood with it. The lens comes with its own round hood anyway, so don't worry about that. If you use a CPL, you'll need to focus first, then adjust the CPL.

The PF can get much worse when you have long edges of high contrast, eg. edges of buildings, or the body of a white bird against a dark background. But there's no doubt that the lens is still very sharp once you stop down a bit and a very good deal for $250.

Edit: Oh, haha, Darren beat me to it with the same info. :)

I realise I am perpetually camping on CS because I'm so busy doing/not doing my final papers for this term. I'm at the computer almost 24/7 with naps here and there. :confused:

Thanks Gengh and darren for the replies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.