Tamron 24-70 & 70-200 VC Sigma 24-70 & 70-200

King Kwong

Aug 30, 2008
Stargate Atlantis
Hi,

Am thinking of upgrading from my current 6D to upcoming 5D Mark IV, and thinking of paring with 2 lens 24-70mm and 70-200mm.

As most of the time, I don't uses tripod, so image stabilisation is important to me. Most of the time, I am either shooting family pictures, ie. family events and people photos, as well as general travel photography like streets, some landscapes and indoor places & people. I would say that I shoot more people than streets (with buildings), and more streets then landscapes.

My current lens are Canon 24-105mm F4 IS USM and Canon 17-40mm F4 USM. I like the 24-105 a lot except for indoor with lower lighting. I also have a Canon 100m F2.8 Macro lens.

Am thinking of the latest Tamron F2.8 24-70 Di VC USD and Tamron F2.8 70-200 Di VC USD, but does not know how it compares with Sigma counter-parts. Canon is way more expensive, but I am not sure if it is worth the money for my above shooting habits, so I will not rule that out if Canon is way way better for above usage.

Appreciate some advice here from you who have tried them in shooting for above situations. Frank and neutral advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Having shot both Tamron and Sigma 70-200, I'd generally say if you are on full frame the Tamron one is your best bet. Although a tad slower than the Sigma in terms of AF, it feels better in the hand and the zoom isn't stiff like the Sigma's. Additionally, the Tamron's hood isn't as "clunky" as the Sigma's one. The Sigma also tends to lose out in sharpness in the full frame corners, but not by much. I bought the Sigma because I cover school events and the faster AF helps, but for family and travel photography, the Tamron should suit your needs, considering the VC/ OS performs quite reliably on both lenses :)

Having shot both Tamron and Sigma 70-200, I'd generally say if you are on full frame the Tamron one is your best bet. Although a tad slower than the Sigma in terms of AF, it feels better in the hand and the zoom isn't stiff like the Sigma's. Additionally, the Tamron's hood isn't as "clunky" as the Sigma's one. The Sigma also tends to lose out in sharpness in the full frame corners, but not by much. I bought the Sigma because I cover school events and the faster AF helps, but for family and travel photography, the Tamron should suit your needs, considering the VC/ OS performs quite reliably on both lenses :)

I concur that tamron is a better option in terms of IQ, having done my earlier research about 70-200, which i am planning to buy when there is a promo (i missed tamron's recent promo of $1500). I'm using nikor 24-120 f4 (D750) and, like you, i tend to shoot more people and streets than buildings or landscapes. In terms of value, i think tamron 70-200 is better than nikon. Now i'm just waiting for the promo to come again... long wait! :)

I use Tamron 70-200 VC and, if Im not mistaken, the VC lenses (24-700 and 70-200) got some AF issues. Mine just died, while in the middle of a photoshoot :( Have to switch to MF. In fact I'm going to Tamron later to have it checked. Will report back the findings.

I haven't tried Sigma, but the Tamron's 70-200 IQ is almost at par with Nikon's (sorry I know you are using Canon) but the latter is superior in AF speed.

Just got the lens back, AF motor replaced.

any update on promo for Tamron's 70-200? Tamron hardly update its FB or website. I'm going for my vacation next January and i'm getting impatient! hahaha

Guys, i wana update that i just bought the tamron 70-200 VC. its superb! its sharp and i like it very much!!