Tamron 24-135 f3.5-5.6 OR Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Need advise here... Currently having this dilemma of choosing a standard zoom lens. At first, I was considering a Canon 28-135 USM IS. After awhile, decided to get the Tamron 24-135 f3.5-5.6 after reading so many positive review about this lens...

While I am checking with MS Color, they recommend me the Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4... Just want to check with you guys here, which one should I go for? :dunno:

Thanks in advance. :)

Never used the Sigma one before so I won't comment on that. The sharpness of the Tamron 24-135 is amazing. AF hunts quite a bit in low light conditions and also the zoom ring is quite stiff but these are minor complaints. The good thing is that its manual focus ring is smooth and great for low light condition.

How much were you quoted for the Sigma?

I was quoted $530 but AP quotes me $550 for Tamron cheapest so far. I think I will just go for Tamron,...

I dunno about the Sigma but i have the Tamron. Using it for more than one and a half years. The optics are excellent. Build is good in my opinion. I recently took it on a trek to Nepal and it worked brilliantly.

One minus pt is that the zoom ring is getting a bit stiff. other than dat, no complaints.

My Tamron 24-135 is only 1 of 2 non-L lens in my collection of 9 lenses. Everytime I thinking of getting rid of it, I just look at my past shots taken with it and I change my mind.

Tack sharp and wonderful colors. As mentioned, the AF is a dog, stiff zoom ring and zoom lock always get accidentally turned on. But apart from that, this is a keeper. you won't regret your choice.

Many thanks to all who had attended/contributed to this thread... Think I will just go for it. However still thinking of the Image Stabiliser offered by Canon 28-135... :(

Think I should get the IS when I get my70-200 f2.8 L (i hope i will get one but dunno when :dunno: hahaha :bsmilie: )

I think (I hope) I can live with the slow AF and the stiff zoom ring... ;p

Terence said:
I did a side by side comparison btw the EF 28-135 and the tamron... check out this thread which discusses it...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=53557&page=2&pp=20

Yeah Terrence, thanks. I read that and decided to go for Tamron, apprently someone recommend me a Sigma,... this puzzled me again,... think I should still stick to Tamron.

Anyway, called AP to keep one set for me liao.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.