Tamron 200-500mm. Tripod for this lens or tripod for the DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
I ordered a Tamron 200-500mm. Just wondering for this kind of big lens, do I buy a tripod for this lens or tripod for the camera? Because I seems to remember a video showing the lens mounted on the tripod and the DSLR is just hanging to the lens. Or is the video showing digi-scoping?

Tripods can mount both body or lenses. Usually, big lenses come with a lens collar that you attach to the lens. You then mount this onto the quick-release on the tripod.

This is to allow the centre of gravity to be more central and not front heavy.

Last edited:
You need to buy tripod which able to cater overall load of your set up (cam+lens+flash+ballhead/gimbal head).

Yes you mount the lens on the tripod ballhead / gimbal head

Thanks. Btw, any tripod to recommend? For a Canon 400d+Tamron 200-500mm. Thinking of getting Benro as some say is value for money.

congrate on your purchase of the tammy ..good starter for a super tele...get a good tripod if you into birding and wildlife, it will ensure the setup is stable and have more keeper for the pic you shoot ...the set up will be support by the lens collar....lastly make sure the tripod can hold the weight of the whole set up , body,lens , flash, you will not want to see your setup crashing onto the floor

Happy shooting ;)

As you can see from the review, the combo would have topped over if tripod is screw to camera.

size2.jpg

Just curious, will the camera suddenly snapped because it has no tripod attached and hanging in mid-air?

The setup will most likely topple over is the tripod is attached to the camera instead, damage wise... it depends on what ground is below your setup......:sweat:

Mount the lens on the tripod first, then attach your camera. That should an efficient way to do it. And no need to worry about anything snapping, the metal mount on both your lens and camera is built to last.

Just curious, will the camera suddenly snapped because it has no tripod attached and hanging in mid-air?
Not really possible unless your camera is 100kg lol...

Hi maisatomai,

I also ordered the lens not long ago. Still waiting for the stock to arrive.
I'm very new to birding, hope to join you and other CSers shooting birds in the future. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.