Tamron 200-500mm or the Sigma 50-500mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominator

Mar 7, 2005
Amazon Forest
Hello all, especially those who own the Tamron 200-500mm or the Sigma 50-500mm.

Which one you prefer?
In terms of pictures quality?
Or build quality?

Please gives your comments or feedbacks please!! In dilemma now :think:

Anyone willing to share?
44 view and no one reply.

well..I guess not many own these lenses...so not much comments.

I too havent owned or used any of the two lenses.

But I would go for the Bigma for its range and HSM.

I tried the Bigma a couple of years back but found the optical quality so-so, finally decided on the 100-400L (don't know whether you're a Canon or Nikon user). Quite a bit more $$ but worth every cent.

I have the luck of trying both. I think the Sigma comes out a little warm and it's no joke carrying the Bigma around! Sore shoulders and all! Tamron weighs in at some 600g lighter, but has a shorter range. I eventually settled for Tamron because I do not think I would use such a lens at the short end. A 1.8kg 50mm lens just doesn't appeal to me ;) Oh and I hate PEELING lenses!

Optics wise, both are equally matched and I don't think they can beat the 100-400L. Price wise, Tamron is a bang for the buck, I'd say. Some pictures from the Tamron below for your reference. To be fair to the Tamron, please do take into consideration my lack of expertise, ;p on top of the quality of the glass.

Hope that helps.:D

IMG_8420rs.jpg

IMG_8511rs.jpg

Is the Tamron 200-500 commonly available at the usual CP, MS Color and TK Photo? Looks like an interesting lens and review from photozone.de seems quite decent

I have the luck of trying both. I think the Sigma comes out a little warm and it's no joke carrying the Bigma around! Sore shoulders and all! Tamron weighs in at some 600g lighter, but has a shorter range. I eventually settled for Tamron because I do not think I would use such a lens at the short end. A 1.8kg 50mm lens just doesn't appeal to me ;) Oh and I hate PEELING lenses!

Optics wise, both are equally matched and I don't think they can beat the 100-400L. Price wise, Tamron is a bang for the buck, I'd say. Some pictures from the Tamron below for your reference. To be fair to the Tamron, please do take into consideration my lack of expertise, ;p on top of the quality of the glass.

Hope that helps.:D

IMG_8420rs.jpg

IMG_8511rs.jpg

the details are fantastic! thanks for sharing. can tell me what is the price for the tamron?

Dug through my homework notes!;)
For the Tamron 200-500mm
TK quoted me $1600 (incl. GST)
JO quoted me $1680 (incl. GST)
CP some exorbitant sum that almost caused me drop my phone (like $1700+++)
MS claims no stock (that was months back, they might have some now)

So bought from TK. I called to say I may not be able to make it down to their shop before their closing time and James (I think) was even willing to delay closing time for me.

Sigma cost around $1800+. Saw a few copies at TCW, JO and MS. Can't miss them, the boxes are HUGE!:eek:

Oh, do put aside some dough for the filters, both the Sigma and the Tamron are 86mm thread. 86mm UV would be around $100. CPL - Some crazy price like $200. With a 86mm diameter and a bazooka like body...expect people to run faster than animals, when you pull it out!:bsmilie: Luckily IMF over:sweat:

My vote goes to Tamron 200-500mm. Have seen pics produced by my friend using it, even with Tamron 1.4x TC, very sharp! :thumbsup:

Oh, do put aside some dough for the filters, both the Sigma and the Tamron are 86mm thread. 86mm UV would be around $100. CPL - Some crazy price like $200. With a 86mm diameter and a bazooka like body...expect people to run faster than animals, when you pull it out!:bsmilie: Luckily IMF over:sweat:
The hood for Tamron 200-500mm is HUGE and long. :sweat: Especially when the lens extended to 500mm, looks very intimidating.

My vote goes to Tamron 200-500mm. Have seen pics produced by my friend using it, even with Tamron 1.4x TC, very sharp! :thumbsup:

The hood for Tamron 200-500mm is HUGE and long. :sweat: Especially when the lens extended to 500mm, looks very intimidating.
Yup. I tried it once.. Looks like a bazooka fully extended with the hood.:p

I don't have experience with the Tamron. This is my sigma 50-500 with a 350D.
IMG_0299sm.jpg

It is a heavy lens to bring around. My best pictures from this lens tends to need either a tripod or monopod to work with.
This is built like a tank, the quality of the lens is on the metal body.
I did had some problem with the tripod collar initially.
Optical quality is good but I won't say is the best.
I would agree the Canon 100-400 will be much better and more handheld-able with IS.

_MG_0404.jpg

This is interesting and I am more towards the tamron now somehow :think:

Keep more comments or personal review coming and I am sure more other peoples will benefits from it too ;)

Now that you are leaning towards the Tamron...

:devil: :devil: :devil:

The Tamron does hunt quite a bit, AF is slow compared to the relatively smooth and fast Bigma HSM. I suspect if I tried to shoot dragonflies with Tamron AF, success rate will be low. I MF 80% of the time I use this lens and thus is limited to slower creatures in bright light. Then again, its my skill limiting me:embrass: more than anything. Given 'Ortega-quality' lensman behind the Tamron, freezing bees in flight would probably not be a problem. ;)

i have never used a tamron b4, but i don't mind doing a test if someone lends me one.

haha i don't think i can even get a OOF bee in flight with a super tele .... :eek:
too slow

the problem with these super teles is that they are heavy, very heavy
so if......

some company would come out with a DX version of these lenses .......

smaller

lighter

less camera shake

less shoulder ache

with VR/IS/OS some more

and best of all cheaper because of the DX format

that would be a hot seller

size2.jpg

tamron 200-500mm with hood :D

Status
Not open for further replies.