Tamron 180mm or Sigma 180mm (macros)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Thinking of getting one of these lenses. Any comments or advice from the experts?

Thanks!

Nobody can give a piece of advice which glass should I go with? :confused:

I bought the Sigma 180 mm Macro, in my research before buying it, I found that both the Tamron and Sigma were as good as the Canon but cheaper. The Tamron is said to be sharper but poorly constructed (the tripod collar is also not very good). The Sigma has much better built and feels very solid. It has HSM which works like the USM on canon lens, fast and quiet focusing. You also have 3 limiter settings for the focusing range, very useful. Hope this helps.

Chee Ming, go try them out..

after using the Tamron and Canon 180... its almost par, USM/HSM you don't need to factor that in, I never use AF except if I'm holding on something else for the shot :D. Don't know about the sigma, but the tamron focusing ring is wide and smooth, I really enjoy using it, as for the tripod collar, still don't know what some are referring to as weak/poor quality.. I always have my monopod mounted on it and carried it against my shoulder (hope it never drop :bsmilie: ). When I was deciding which to get, the Sigma did tempted me with the EX finish, but I opt for optical quality, now the exterior appearance doesn't bother me at all

Thank you thank you.

Hey Simon, you do really find out that the optical quality for Tamron is better huh? I tried the Sigma the other day, the focusing ring is also good. miss the chance to try out your tamron... may try it out when i go shoot butt with you guys again. will u lend me ur glass.... ??? hahaha

Hi Tzuen, thanks for the advice,... agree with Simon that AF doesnt really play much on macro phogranphy bt never forget that the lens can be used as a tele as well... :bsmilie:

Still thinking which one to get, but if can get a grey set from HK which is abt $200 cheaper for Sigma, I dun think I mind getting the Sigma. They are quite close though. As long as nt a Canon glass,.. cost a BOMB!!! hahaha :sweat:

sumball said:
Thank you thank you.

Hey Simon, you do really find out that the optical quality for Tamron is better huh? I tried the Sigma the other day, the focusing ring is also good. miss the chance to try out your tamron... may try it out when i go shoot butt with you guys again. will u lend me ur glass.... ??? hahaha

Hi Tzuen, thanks for the advice,... agree with Simon that AF doesnt really play much on macro phogranphy bt never forget that the lens can be used as a tele as well... :bsmilie:

Still thinking which one to get, but if can get a grey set from HK which is abt $200 cheaper for Sigma, I dun think I mind getting the Sigma. They are quite close though. As long as nt a Canon glass,.. cost a BOMB!!! hahaha :sweat:

chee ming, thats why I suggest you to go with what is comfortable, if that $200 saving is a good enough reason then go for it. Tele len at 180mm? abit too short, have to couple with a TC.. The optical quality for the 3 brands is some how close.. though I have never tried the Sigma.. from what I read in FM, the ranking is canon, tamron and sigma. Same goes to the 90-105mm range as well

sumball said:
Thinking of getting one of these lenses. Any comments or advice from the experts?

Thanks!

so far im not comfortable with sigma optic quality, so use tamron lor

Status
Not open for further replies.